Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Gentlemen,

I am soon ready to go on a trip to Washington, DC on a veterans tour. I checked the three digital cameras I now have and two of them no longer function! (One is a Lumix and the other is a Canon). I could trade them in at a good local camera store, but would just as soon purchase a new decent, digital model for now.

So, what say the experts? I would like one not TOO large in size, if possible? I would really appreciate any suggestions I can be given. The one remaining one I have left is a small, pocket size Canon PowerShot.

I think when I return we will just trade the others all in or sell them along w/ several older 35mm SLR's sitting around! None of them are probably worth much anyway....

THANK YOU!
Brittman

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Something like a Sony RX100 V would be a nice choice. Pocketable, good 1" sensor, EVF, but pricey.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If one of the 35mm film cameras is a manual focus, how about re-experiencing that particular type of photography as an adjunct to the whole veteran theme, rather than the somewhat uninvolved process of a pushbutton automatic camera? You might be surprised with the results, before passing these old cameras on.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
RedRabbit & pal,

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it! The Sony sounds like a good one that has a great name. I had thought of resurrecting one of the old Asahi Pentax I still have? (Ah, the old days of 35mm film...!)

I'm going to keep thinking on it a bit yet now. Your input is valued very much! Thank you..

Sincerely,
Brittman

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I returned from Vietnam, in '68, I brought with me an Asahi Pentax Spotmatic that I'd picked up while on R&R in Taiwan. IIRC I paid $115 for it including a 50mm Super Takumar lens. Great camera; took excellent photos.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
pal,

I have THE same camera and I returned in late '69..! I don't recall what I paid for mine w/ an extra lens? I think I'll get it out and install a new battery in it? I bet I still can use it too. It used to take fine color slides back then!

Thanks for the memories!

Brittman

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Have had a couple Canon Elphs, great all around pocket camera. Have bigger cameras with better lenses, manual controls, but I don't use them much.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for all your service. It is greatly appreciated.
A great small camera, that won't break the bank is the Sony DSC-HX80. It has a 30x Zeiss lens, viewfinder, wifi and will fit in your pocket. Right now with Sony rebates it would be $325

Let me know if you have any questions

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000
[email protected]
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
How is the image quality zoomed in for some of these small, super-zoom cameras? Going to Namibia in 6 weeks and trying to decide on photo gear to take.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by duckster
How is the image quality zoomed in for some of these small, super-zoom cameras? Going to Namibia in 6 weeks and trying to decide on photo gear to take.

Looking at the reviews on DPReview may be of some help.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-enthusiast-long-zoom-cameras

I saw where the upcoming Sony RX100VI will have a 24-200 zoom
https://www.sonyrumors.co/tag/sony-rx100-vi/

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Joel,

I intend to give you a call on the Sony. I'm going to get a new battery for the old Pentax Spotmatic & some new 35mm film to take along on our veteran's tour soon. (The old 'dude' still feels good in the hand! It is substantial in weight, compared to the new digital cameras.)

I can still remember getting the light meter centered, then focusing the picture and hearing the shutter go "click" - kind of cool..! I'm certainly happy to read Ektachrome is coming back. Do you sell that now at your store, Joel?

Let's all remember today, now 74 yrs. ago - D Day, 1944. Many good men lost their lives that day for our country.
I salute all our veterans, young and old. Thank you for your service.

Brittman

Member: VFW Life - Vietnam Veterans of America Life -

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have read some of the reviews. Just looking for a first hand opinion

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The Sony I mentioned is great as long as you turn off the digital zoom. That is the same with any camera. The 30x optical zoom is awesome

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000
[email protected]
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Brittman
Gentlemen,

I am soon ready to go on a trip to Washington, DC on a veterans tour. I checked the three digital cameras I now have and two of them no longer function! (One is a Lumix and the other is a Canon). I could trade them in at a good local camera store, but would just as soon purchase a new decent, digital model for now.

So, what say the experts? I would like one not TOO large in size, if possible? I would really appreciate any suggestions I can be given. The one remaining one I have left is a small, pocket size Canon PowerShot.

I think when I return we will just trade the others all in or sell them along w/ several older 35mm SLR's sitting around! None of them are probably worth much anyway....

THANK YOU!
Brittman

Help me out here. What trade in value does two camera's have that don't work?

I've fooled with several different point and shoot cameras looking for one to carry all the time. A couple were just to big though not as big as a DSLR. All of them were inexpensive as I didn't want to pay to much. I don't think any are still in production today. The ones with the screen on the back were at time's blanked out by the sun shining on them. One had a view finder that really confused me as it took far better photo's that I saw through the view finder. All were as high or higher pixel's than my DSLR's but couldn't crop as much or blow up in a print to well. I was told that there are pixel's and there are pixels.all were under $300 and maybe that is what was wrong. Most people wanting point and shoots want them because they are very handy, carry able and inexpensive. One thing they all had in common was a rather flimsy body, two I fell with and the view screen broke! I don't remember the model but I did have a Canon that felt much better made tht any of the other's. Made the mistake of loaning it out and never saw it again! I did see a Lecia point and shoot one time that was beautiful but I could not afford one like it. If I could I suspect I'd buy one! I wouldn't recommend any single camera but I would recommend going out and looking at a bunch of different one's. Should feel solid and a bit heavy. Rather a view finder with a crumby view and great picture for no other reason than the sun will not keep you from framing a shot if the sun is in the wrong place.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by duckster

Nambia? Good Lord get a DSLR. I have a nephew that has made 4 or 5 trips to Africa just to take photo's. Great opportunity to get great photo's there. Cost of a decent DSLR is nothing next to the cost of the trip!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a couple of DSLR, probably the way I am going to go. Just trying to decide what lens to take

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 1lesfox, 62 invisible), 2,574 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,464
Posts18,471,337
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.