Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
lvmiker Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Rabbit? I have been hiking and hunting for 50 years in the high sagebrush country and saw my first one today.They are tiny, this one was almost black and would easily fit in the palm of your hand. We were at 7600' in the White Pine Mts. SE of Hamilton, NV.

Great day, 70* w/ bright sunshine and a gentle breeze. We also saw a small herd of Antelope, some Mule Deer and way too many Mustangs. All the critters were in great shape and everything from Sage to Ponderosa was green and healthy.

LIFE IS GOOD

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
sounds like a great day, except for the estray horses. some cool animals in the desert, I used to see kit foxes near Reno, but I don't recall any pyg rabbits.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
One inch of rain here so far this year and its been kind of hot until today. A stiff norther is blowing and it had knocked the temperature down to 102 as of an hour ago. frown
Crap.

Last edited by jaguartx; 06/02/18.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Why do we stay where summers are so grim? We go home in the morning where it will be 106*. We are stuck in LV for the rest of June so my growler can complete her PT on knee and back. The utility trailer is already packed w/ camping gear and we will head for the Sawtooths after the 4th of July weekend and remain in the mountains until hunting season.

All of you who work outdoors have my sympathy.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
saw a pygmy hare here about 10 years ago. putting the sneak on a grouse with my bow on a logging road and about stepped on it.
it looked like a small ball of lint tumbling down the two track . got me laughing so hard it flushed the grouse.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Saw a snowshoe here a few days ago. Rare as hens teeth here. On the right side of the two track next to the brush.

[Linked Image]

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The Idaho Fish and Game says they're only found in southern ID but when I was in college in north ID, we used to see a few. Either that or the regular cottontails were stunted.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never yet.

A few other things I've never seen too.

Mountain Beaver.
Snowshoe (Varying?) hare

lots of different snakes and lizards.

Pygmy rabbit would be cool to see. Not sure if theyr'e in this neighborhood.

Glad you're having a good time this weekend, too bad you have to go back to the city. Remember.......106 beat the heck out of 117. (Or 128 at Willow Beach!)

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Rabbit? I have been hiking and hunting for 50 years in the high sagebrush country and saw my first one today.They are tiny, this one was almost black and would easily fit in the palm of your hand. We were at 7600' in the White Pine Mts. SE of Hamilton, NV.

Great day, 70* w/ bright sunshine and a gentle breeze. We also saw a small herd of Antelope, some Mule Deer and way too many Mustangs. All the critters were in great shape and everything from Sage to Ponderosa was green and healthy.

LIFE IS GOOD

mike r

Did not even know they existed, thanks for that.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
found these two by my flower bed friday. drug them out of their nest pulling a garden hose.
one fell in a hole i dug that had water in it and was up to his neck( one cup of water!)
dried them off put them back and momma came saturday night and moved them under my shed.
cute little buggers . both of them together smaller than my fist. i have 6 snowshoe hares just around the house.
and 2 damn lazy labs!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mike,

I saw the opposite, years ago, hunting Mulies on the AZ/UT line. White-tailed Jack! hell I thought it was a damned German sheperd, it looked so big. Black tailed jack are lanky but scrawny. this dang thing looked so healthy, i was afraid 140 gr partition wasn't going to be enough. ; )

Didn't shoot it, I was afraid it was the last one, plus I knew there was a deer around somewhere. It was a True Hare!

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've seen pygmy rabbits in SE Oregon. They are really small. Cute little guys.

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I spotted a gigantic white tail Jack near Vernal, Ut. last fall. Easily the largest wild rabbit I have ever seen, It looked like a small kangaroo.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
later that week, carrying a 3 pointer out of the bottom of a canyon, I wished I was carrying the rabbit! ; )

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Why do we stay where summers are so grim? We go home in the morning where it will be 106*. We are stuck in LV for the rest of June so my growler can complete her PT on knee and back. The utility trailer is already packed w/ camping gear and we will head for the Sawtooths after the 4th of July weekend and remain in the mountains until hunting season.

All of you who work outdoors have my sympathy.

mike r

after 53 years of life, wife gave me the thumbs up to take a good job in AK when I find it and she will follow in 2021! No more summers for me if I can just find a job.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

LIFE IS GOOD

mike r

We were @ Illipah Resevoir @ the same time, sound like you were around White River or Ellison? The fishing was great @ Illipah!

Too many mustangs there, too. Maybe they're eating the pygmy bunnies, used to see 'em a lot, a rarity seeing one now.

Holler next time you're in the area, I'll have a beverage for you.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Hi WR, we drove past Ilipah on Wednesday on our way south. We hit Ellison, Shermantown,Hamilton, Belmont Mill, Green Springs etc. That is some great country that I haven,t seen for a long time and was surprised how little it has changed. I think I would like living in Ely. I will be in touch next trip.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Never even heard of pygmy bunnies before. Interesting.

MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Lots of Pygmy rabbits around our area! They are neat little critters, I enjoy seeing them. Haven't seen a snowshoe hare. Here for a couple years. I like watching them also! I feel sorry for the snowshoes when they turn white and the snow doesn't come! Puts them farther down the food chain, snow White trying to hide in green bushes!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Mike,

I saw the opposite, years ago, hunting Mulies on the AZ/UT line. White-tailed Jack! hell I thought it was a damned German sheperd, it looked so big. Black tailed jack are lanky but scrawny. this dang thing looked so healthy, i was afraid 140 gr partition wasn't going to be enough. ; )

Didn't shoot it, I was afraid it was the last one, plus I knew there was a deer around somewhere. It was a True Hare!

Sycamore

If you think white-tailed jacks are huge, you should see an arctic hare... their upper end size is more than half again the size of the biggest White-tailed. They truly are bigger than the average red fox in length, weight, and legs.

The local Cabela's has a photo of an old-timer with quite a few of them and looks like it was photoshopped because the proportions are so weird.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 3,009 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,195
Posts18,503,558
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.