Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
Winchester rifles were really crud the last year before they folded.

I have heard that quality went out the door at Winchester/USRA during the last year or so that they were operating out of New Haven, CT, but my 20 or so Winchester/USRA 70 WSSMs that were made in 2004/2005 have zero QC issues.

My first RF rifle is a Nylon 66, NSN, that I've had for over 50 years.

My first CF rifle is a 660 in 6MM, #62005xx, that I've had for nearly 50 years.

My first shotgun was a 20 gauge 870 with 26" skeet barrel that my Father gave away sometime around 1980 while I was in the Army.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm not much of a Remington rifle fan, but no one other than maybe Benelli even comes close to making a decent tactical/combat shotgun that's earned it's reputation.

Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Geez, ya think those ass holes at USA Today have an agenda here? (that's a rhetorical question) This is how the article starts.

"MADISON, N.C. — Remington, the gunmaker beset by falling sales and lawsuits tied to the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre, has reached a financing deal that would allow it to continue operating as it files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

The maker of the Bushmaster AR-15-style rifle used in the Connecticut shooting that left 20 first-graders and six educators dead in 2012, said Monday that the agreement with lenders will reduce its debt by about $700 million and add about $145 million in new capital.

The company was cleared of any wrongdoing in the shooting, but investors repulsed by the massacres distanced themselves from the company's owner, investment firm Cerberus Capital Management. Cerberus acquired the gun maker in 2007, just when gun sales began to skyrocket....

...Gun sales spike on the election of candidates who are perceived to be more likely to pursue more stringent gun control laws, whether or not there is any truth in that perception."

No doubt cheering on their perceived demise while masquerading as a news story. Nearly the entire rosters of Propaganda Corps personnel, editors and editorial boards deserve to be bulldozed over in a trench.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have a Nylon 66, that spent a lot of time in the woods. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remington will stick around, but they’ll probably move production over seas and concentrate more on the Ruger American price point if you know what I mean.

Luckily, there’s lots of used ones out there for the rest of us.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have owned many dozens of Remington rifles and shotguns with very few issues, The only Remington I currently own is an old Mod 870 Express Supermag.......I would not hestitate to buy another if i were so inclined but I doubt ill ever buy another bolt action rifle that has a 90 degree bolt lift......Hb

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
This is Cerebus fault, pure and simple. It has nothing to do with Remington as a gun company.

This

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by gunner500
, I never want to see a Great American Gun Company fold.

Nope. Me either. I've shot some nice bucks while holding a Rem 700. I do wish they'd make a better product at the moment but I don't want them to go away.

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tzone

Nope. Me either. I've shot some nice bucks while holding a Rem 700. I do wish they'd make a better product at the moment but I don't want them to go away.

You bet T, I've got an old failsafe 11 shot 870 12 gauge house gun, plus a model 700 heavy barreled 22-250 I named ladybug, because thats what the groups look like when the wind isnt blowing. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone

Remington and Winchester are like Ford and Chevy. It would be Un American to lose any one of them. In my entire life I have not been without either.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Remington has gotten in a bad habit of chasing (poorly) trends. Rather than spending all the r&d on the 783, they could have stuck with the Marlin XL/XS7, and had a more "traditionally styled" budget rifle to offer. Rather than 200 more iterations of the 700, take a short action 700, slap a dog leg bolt on it, chop the barrel to 18", and call it the new 600. They completely eliminated the HandiRifle. I understand they couldn't make a profit on $99 H&R shotguns, but they could have sold the handi rifles for $200-$250, and made a point to make more "modular" parts available (use screws instead of pins) so folks could change hammers/trigger guards/ triggers/etc. A TC encore will cost you $600 plus to get started and Rossi's are junk. Make the Marlin levers correctly. What have they done to make DPMS, Bushmaster, or Dakota better??

STOP chasing Beretta or Glock or Kimber, and do what YOU do (or did) well.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My biggest gripe about Remington is that they have been slow to adapt to the newest trends, and they drop certain models from their lineup after only a short time. The LVSF was one of the most accurate hunting rifles Remington made but they quit making them after only a few years production. Same way with a bunch of other models as well. They have only hurt themselves, with some poor decisions. Otherwise, they still make a good product.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Geez, ya think those ass holes at USA Today have an agenda here? (that's a rhetorical question) This is how the article starts.

"MADISON, N.C. — Remington, the gunmaker beset by falling sales and lawsuits tied to the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre, has reached a financing deal that would allow it to continue operating as it files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

The maker of the Bushmaster AR-15-style rifle used in the Connecticut shooting that left 20 first-graders and six educators dead in 2012, said Monday that the agreement with lenders will reduce its debt by about $700 million and add about $145 million in new capital.

The company was cleared of any wrongdoing in the shooting, but investors repulsed by the massacres distanced themselves from the company's owner, investment firm Cerberus Capital Management. Cerberus acquired the gun maker in 2007, just when gun sales began to skyrocket....

...Gun sales spike on the election of candidates who are perceived to be more likely to pursue more stringent gun control laws, whether or not there is any truth in that perception."

And where was the reporting part again? Looks like nothing but propaganda to me. Goebbels would be proud.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
If they were still making the Ti they would be selling the crap outta that 700. among many others that they have made wrong moves with.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
T
T
What a beautiful assortment of rifles, I see you like Leupold too !

tomkakahipshot20yearssober
T
T
News today some one robbed a bar with a sword for a weapon, shouldn't that be against the law ?

Sort of hillside full of sheep, no fence or wall, secured by sign, "No Wolves Allowed", now that will work !
Yeah right !!

tomkakahipshot20yearssober
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by husqvarna
Remington is too big of a part of our national history to loose, they just need to get their quality control problems solved.

+1. It also wouldn't hurt them to be a bit more nimble. Dynamic movement with Big Green is akin to turning an aircraft carrier.
They probably lost a half-million guns being late to the party on the 6.5 Creedmoor.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Nothing but Remington 700 stainless bolt guns for me.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
OHA LIFE MEMBER
RMEF LIFE MEMBER
*MOLON LABE SKYLA*
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I swore off Remington and sold all of mine with the exception of my dad's 600.

Then I decided I needed a chunk and the quickest route was a Remage so I bought a new SS action, complete with the hideous engraved bar code and serial number. The trigger sucked A$$ and the machining is crude. It shoots fantastic but I attribute that to the Criterion barrel.

How long did it take them to twist the 260 correct, like 20 years?

I am happy they will continue to operate but they have a [bleep] ton of work to do before they are off the first rung of the ladder.

Dave

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 16gage, 54 invisible), 2,977 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,965
Posts18,519,560
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.