Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hopefully I can help with at least some of the questions going on here
First, license setting:
Out here, deer classification flights are flown in late December, while elk in mid February. Harvest survey data comes back by early March, bears usually mid to late March. Biologists then work the models based on those inputs and lay out suggestions for the Area meetings with game wardens and supervisors in mid to late March (I go to 3 of these because of how my district lays out, so Gunnison, Grand Junction and Montrose). After the license setting meetings are done at the Area level (state administratively divided into 18 areas, those 18 areas into 4 regions), then the upper level regional staff meet to approve in April before sending on to the Commission meeting in early May. This year that was May 3-4 in Grand Junction. This is a public meeting. After May 4, I'm not entirely certain what happens, but someone has to input 3- 5,000 hunt code changes. I do know that the actual computerized drawing doesn't take very long. But, there's also proofing that occurs so that people with 2 points don't draw a 201 elk tag and things like that. I don't know how much of that occurs in a random sample or if literally every single hunt code is proofed entirely.
The draw itself:
When you apply your application receives a random number ( I believe it is 6 digits). The draw occurs hunt code by hunt code, not by applicant like some states do. So the people with the highest number of points get the license first, then down the line until there are more applicants then licenses available, at which point those are allocated randomly based on your application number or something like that. I assume the random application numbers are the ones still in play for the hybrid draw, but I honestly don't know the details on that part of the draw.

Hope that helps. So, I don't know what all occurs between May 4 and June 4, but as you can imagine with thousands of hunt codes hundreds of thousands of applicants, everything takes a while. But at least under our current system, there's no way the draw could be done and announced by April 5.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Elk preference point for me. Anxious to see if my son drew a deer tag !

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thank you Biologist. Informative post.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Congrats to all successful applicants, including me-

Now for the bad news:
If things don't change drastically between now and elk/deer seasons, CO is going to be a season of closures, fire bans, and tough hunting. Really wish I hadn't burned points on tags this season.

[Linked Image]

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
No luck on my impossibly long-shot elk tag. Pref Pt. only for the year. But according to my credit card that just got hit for $396, I expect that my elk VIEWING permit (otherwise known as a Unit 201 2nd Rifle deer tag) will shortly be confirmed!

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ist season bull tag for me with 0 preference points, drew as my second choice so I now have 1 preference point.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Any other draws beside Elk yet ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of guys on other forums have said their cards have been hit for deer , I haven’t seen anything.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ML bull for me.

If you are not America first you are america last. Be loud and proud America first.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by djb
Can anyone explain how the draw is done? Does the individual get drawn then they get their choice or is the drawing primarily by the unit/tag selected? Just curious for the future.

The latter by GMU, sex, and season.

And Preference Points.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Lots of guys on other forums have said their cards have been hit for deer , I haven’t seen anything.

My card was hit for the $40 for my elk PP last night and then hit this morning for $396 so I assume that's my deer tag.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like the order is going to be elk,deer, moose, bear, antelope

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Preference Point

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well either My wife drew for the third year in a row or i did for deer card hit for $31.00.I Do not think it was me because of unit choice and on hand pp. It was my wife that drew wow 3 years in a row.

Last edited by CoElk101; 06/05/18.

If you are not America first you are america last. Be loud and proud America first.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I got drawn for a 4th season deer as well.

1st season bull elk and I got a PP, and a 4th season deer. Couldn’t ask for more!

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Pref point and didn't draw 2nd thru 4th choice.....my non-resident hunting partner did draw our second choice (cow).....should be leftover opportunities in the unit, as there have been many in the past and I expect some this year. Just means waiting for the leftover draw to finalize our plans. As to the drought.....this coming week doesn't look to help as the forecast is hot and dry.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
1st season bull here. Maybe my luck is changing from bad to better.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The whole famdamily drew MZ tags.... bulls for the wife and I, cows for the kids. I guess I better start shopping for a couple more smokepoles.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nice bud - BH 209 and Barnes!

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Cow tag for a partner and myself!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (1234, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 2,642 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,754
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.