Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by battue
Guy I know used to say he would rather have a sister that worked in a whore house than a brother that shot Squirrels with a shotgun.

I'm in that camp too....

The same applies to rabbits, hunted without dogs anyway. Small mammals, small rifles.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Am I crazy for wanting to do an out of state trip for a squirrels? I'd use sk hollow points and a havalon

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Personally, I have as much fun squirrel hunting as anything since it is less stressful and though I have hunted locally, I don't think an out-of-state trip is crazy at all. I know several groups have "squirrel camps" each year and they are big hits.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are a couple out of state groups that come to my neck of the Missouri Ozarks to squirrel hunt. They camp for three or four days and hunt public ground. They have a good time. My son and I are bow hunting deer at that same time and always visit the one camp every year. One of the older members and his son always make a big squirrel dinner on Saturday night. It's a good time, I enjoy visiting with these guys. Makes me appreciate what I have here when they talk about hunting little wood lots of just a few acres. They come here and hunt a block of public ground of about 60,000 continuous acres and are in heaven.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm right there with you DBrink. I've not participated in a group hunt for squirrels in probably 25 or 30 years but they are a lot of fun. Back then the ones we used to hold were muzzleloaders only and they were a hoot. 1-3 days of primitive hunting, camping and living was a great way to shed everyday concerns. I am aware of the hunts MOGC mentioned. Much of southern Missouri is pretty good squirrel country.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3...le-38-grain-lead-hollow-point-box-of-100

Been using these in my 541T for many years to kill squirrels!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MOGC
There are a couple out of state groups that come to my neck of the Missouri Ozarks to squirrel hunt. They camp for three or four days and hunt public ground. They have a good time. My son and I are bow hunting deer at that same time and always visit the one camp every year. One of the older members and his son always make a big squirrel dinner on Saturday night. It's a good time, I enjoy visiting with these guys. Makes me appreciate what I have here when they talk about hunting little wood lots of just a few acres. They come here and hunt a block of public ground of about 60,000 continuous acres and are in heaven.

So what kind of squirrels do you have? Grey? Fox? Both?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

So what kind of squirrels do you have? Grey? Fox? Both?

We have both. Some areas have nothing but one or the other then other areas they are intermingled. May have nothing but fox squirrels in an area for a few years then they are gone and greys take over.

Really wanted to get out but this heat has me thinking otherwise. Watched a group of 5 little ones in a den tree back during turkey season and was wanting to get back to that tree opening weekend. Never happened.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks!

I am one of those who likes to hunt squirrels enough that I'd plan an out of state hunt grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Come on. We have more than enough.

I prefer the first week or two of season to kill those little young boogers but always get some fall hunts in between bowhunts.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ohio allows for ANY rifle or shotgun for squirrels. And if I use solid bullets, I will try to "bark" 'em, as it does the job with little damage. However. I think I have taken more squirrels with a slingshot, in the last 10 years, than with any type of gun.
Glenfield model 60 .22lr is my choice for a squirrel rifle, or a simple wrist rocket with hex nuts as ammo.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I used to hunt squirrels (fox and grey) w rifle, then switched to handgun, then to bow.
Old and blind now, back to scoped rifle.........but just for pineys.
Half arse built a 10/22 for the job.
Does sub half inch C2C at 50 yards. Good enough.

Still hear guys at shop, and at work..........get wound up about squirrel season opener.
My goodness..................it's all green, hot and the mosquitos are ferocious.
Tag out in deer season then pop squirrels.
Mucho bettero.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/16/18.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Keep thinking a Contender Super 14.............but got an 8" Ruger 22/45
Wears a reddot.
Might use that.
Pineys and handguns.........tough gig.
At least w Contender I could run CB stuff.
Better for places not way way out.

Could say screw it and just sit in deer stand and shoot em when on the ground.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/16/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Illegal to hunt squirrel from above, here, so no stand hunting. And I use squirrel season as a reason to get back out in the woods scouting deer. It is always the first season to open here, by about a month.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks!

I am one of those who likes to hunt squirrels enough that I'd plan an out of state hunt grin

Come ahead brother! The Ozark's have lots of public ground and most years have plenty of squirrels. The daily limit is ten, so you can spend a beautiful fall morning stalking a hardwood ridge full of fall colors. Come in October and bring a shotgun for fall turkey season too. If you need more information feel free to pm me.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Id rather not hunt from a treestand, but in my close to home deer spot, that's the safe way to do it (houses around).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No houses where I hunt... for miles.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks!

Come ahead brother! The Ozark's have lots of public ground and most years have plenty of squirrels. The daily limit is ten, so you can spend a beautiful fall morning stalking a hardwood ridge full of fall colors. Come in October and bring a shotgun for fall turkey season too. If you need more information feel free to pm me.

It may just happen one day!

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

Little thicket, 4 houses total. One on 3 of the 4 sides.
Loaded with squirrels.
Killed 130" and 150" deer out of it.
Sucky little spot wink

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

What county are you in down there?

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (160user, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,469
Posts18,471,408
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.