It dawned on me a while back that I had been missing out on a hunting opportunity.

I've hunted squirrel since Reagan's 1st term. However, I learned from early on that it was much easier to get permission to hunt if I promised to only use a shotgun. In SW Ohio, it was common for farmers to specifically deny 22 LR on their places for not only squirrel, but groundhog as well. The thought was that they did not want 22 LR coming through their windows.

As a result, I've gone 35 years without taking a squirrel with a rifle. My two sons have grown to adulthood avidly shooting squirrels with shotguns as well. It finally dawned on me that, now that we've been on the same property in Kentucky for 17 years, and no 22 bullets have come through our windows, it may be that some of those fears were unfounded, or least based in experiences from a bygone age.

I have resolved to fix that this year. I pulled out of the safe my Marlin 780 and mounted a 1.5-4.5X40 scope on it. I had it out on the back porch this AM, and found I could resolve birds in the trees at 50 yards-- that should be sufficient. I have a supply of lead Winchester standard velocity 22 ammo that shoots well in this rifle.

What else do I need? Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer