Squirrel hunting has been my favorite past time for as long as I can remember. I usually get into the woods following the first frost in mid- to late September/early October. Ohio's season starts when it's still 90 degrees outside and green, and I just can't get into it until it gets to the point where I have to warm the cabin with a fire at night.

Though a rifleman, I must admit that I take one of the .410's out early on, especially if they are still up in the foliage. After that, I take one of the .22's. I have always had good luck shooting Remington's .22 38 grain Subsonic Hollow Point. They group well in every one of my rifles, and be it a head shot or a behind the shoulder impact, I get instantaneous death, no meat damage and very little noise. Over a decade ago, I was buying a brick from the local sporting goods store every payday, and I think I ended up with twenty or so bricks stashed away, so I figure I have a lifetime supply. I'm not sure if they are still even in production?

For several yeras, I was doing the majority of my hunting with an original 1906 Winchester Model 1892 with a 24" octagon barrel in 25-20. The bore was PRISTINE! I found it at a gun show in Ohio, mounted a Lyman Tang sight on it, and loaded a 85 grain RCBS flat nose cast from wheel weights over 2400. I think at around 1400 fps. It would put 5 shots through one ragged hole at 50 yards. It was my go-to rifle for everything short of deer, though had I the opportunity, I would have had no qualms dropping a whitetail with it. Sadly, a few years back, in a moment of financial weakness spurred on by some unfortunate life circumstances, I sold it. It was, and still is, one of my biggest regrets. Perhaps one day I will find another.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."