Like Ingwe, I am one of those guys that would travel to another state strictly for bushy tails. I am also in that camp that will only go after them with a .22LR.

Having said that, I grew up hunting squirrels in The People's Republik of NJ. It's the most densely populated state in the US. You had to use a shotgun on everything from squirrels and rabbits to deer. It sucked, but it was either that or no hunting at all. Funny thing is they won't let you hunt doves - my other favorite critter to hunt - at all. I moved out of there as soon as I had the chance in my early twenties and never looked back.

I'm in my mid fifties now and maybe that's why to this day I hunt with a .22LR every chance I get. I refuse to pick up a shotgun for anything without feathers and am a .22LR nut. Maybe I'm trying to make up for that wasted youth.

At any rate, I pretty much use subsonics for all my small game hunting. Lately I've been using Eley SS HP's, and find that they are deadly even on the huge jackrabbits they have down here in NM. Hit em right and they go down like they've been struck by lightning. I'm also a big fan of SK and Wolf. With solids, I try to limit myself to head shots though.

I'm retiring soon and plan on doing a lot of fly fishing, dove and squirrel hunting. It's just too bad there aren't a whole lot around here so I'm going to have to do some traveling - but hey, I'm willing. . .

Last edited by Dryfly24; 06/17/18.