I'm a bit ahead of you. I've been hunting squirrels since Eisenhower's second term and most of that time with a 22 or, since the early 70's, a 36 cal. Southern Mountain flintlock. Been wanting to get after them this year with my Jeffery Rook rifle chambered in 25-20 WCF and loaded to 255 Jeffery ballistics, but, seems a bit of colon cancer discovered last week is going to delay that until fall. However, I digress...

I never did like hollow points for small game. Standard velocity LR's always worked more than adequate for my purposes. Of course, that is one man's opinion and preference and worth what you paid for it. Back during Eisenhower's second term, where I hunted there wasn't much, if any, fear of shooting at a squirrel up a tree on a limb with no backstop. Things have changed since then and I haven't taken a shot like that in probably 30 years or more. If the limb bacon is on the side of the tree trunk facing me, I still take that shot. Obviously I have no idea about where you are in Kentucky but that's the only caution I would offer, and you're probably already well aware of that.

I believe hunting squirrels with a rifle of any kind probably requires a little more patience and is more of a challenge than busting them with a shotgun. It certainly does for me, waiting for a good shot. That holds especially true when the leaves are still on the trees. Your scope will help, I still use open or aperture sights. Other than that, as others have said all you need is a skillet, bacon grease and seasoning to your satisfaction or, as Jim said, a crock pot or slow cooker of some kind. With your scope you should be able to dodge the old gals and guys and pick on the tender youngsters. Decades ago when I used a scope on a Ruger 77/22, (I assume that rifle still belongs to Jim), if I took my time I didn't shoot any old ones unless I need a fluffy fox squirrel tail to tie fly's.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing