Originally Posted by Youper
Originally Posted by shaman
As a result, I've gone 35 years without taking a squirrel with a rifle. . . . I have resolved to fix that this year. I pulled out of the safe my Marlin 780 and mounted a 1.5-4.5X40 scope on it. I had it out on the back porch this AM, and found I could resolve birds in the trees at 50 yards-- that should be sufficient. I have a supply of lead Winchester standard velocity 22 ammo that shoots well in this rifle. What else do I need? Comments and suggestions are welcome.

That's all you need. I miss the squirrel hunting I could do in southern Michigan. Up here there are grey squirrels, but only in town. I don't know why. In the woods all the squirrels are red squirrels. They are tiny and there is no closed season. The squirrels I take are from opportunities while hunting grouse, so they are with a shotgun. If I had a chance at real squirrel hunting I'd be using my CZ452.

I moved from the Soo to NM a little less than two years ago. I used to go down to hunt squirrels with a buddy from Traverse City every year because of the same reason. No grey squirrels other than in town. I did used to shoot the reds on my property. Little destructive bastards were always trying to get into my pole barn.

When I lived in Maine I would keep my Ruger 2245 with a Leupold scope in the dining room by the big picture window overlooking my bird feeders. There were days when I'd kill four or five in a few hours.