Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
You lucky devil.

I think I may have seen ONE humming bird, one time.

I guess it would have to be a dum assed humming birdy to come out here.

Are they getting ready for a change in weather or something? Pressure dropping?

Probably just rearing chicks.

You can always tell when the pressure drops......the ants start hilling up.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've got at least a dozen on my feeders all day Jim but they really start showing up right at sundown.
I've never seen em out after dark before though.....I'm not sure what's up with that....if anything.

PS.....I had to fill two of my feeders three times today.....twice a day is the norm but that was a first....
The little bastards are going through about 20# of sugar a week. Somebody needs to tell em I'm on a fixed income... frown

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bettah put them little buggers on OT. laugh

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Damn they are as big as our doves here

Callin Varmints
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We don't have as many coming to the flowers/feeder or as much variety of types as we did down at 5,000 ft. elevation, but we do see some all day - about three types. After having been away from home most of a day I saw something odd on the garage floor and almost kicked it aside - but looked more closely and noted it was an exhausted hummer. They come into the garage toward some object that is the color of a flower (usually bright red or yellow) and then fly upward to leave and find themselves well above the garage door level where they cannot see outside - so they keep flying into a high window pane trying to get out.

This little dummy obviously had been flying at the window for a long time, had gradually lost strength and no doubt had slowly faded down to the floor with no wing beat left. It was not moving at all and seemed to be barely breathing. I picked it up and carried it outside, placed it on top of a low wall at the patio, made some feed liquid, got a thin straw, and went through a somewhat comical scene trying to squeeze the bird enough to get it to open its beak (but not squeeze too hard) and then try to quickly drip some liquid into its maw before it closed the bills. This was painstaking with a loss of most of each fluid load (the bird had sugar water all down its chest) and it went on for about 30 minutes. But, birdie slowly perked up a bit, raised its head and looked around and did try to hold onto the top of the wall with its tiny feet when i tried to pick it up for another drop of food. Then it shook its beak - just one flurry.

So, I tilted the little glass as much as possible and got its beak slightly into the liquid - and birdie managed to take in a bit - could see the swallowing muscles at work. Got this done about a dozen times and birdie started to really get perky - stood on its feet and looked around - began to flutter the wings - took another sip of juice - and then flew away to a low tree branch as if nothing ever had gone wrong.

Before going away, I told it to stay out of the garage.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Huh, not what I expected reading title. grin

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Haha!

Great story.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We never have more than 2 or 3 around a feeder at a time. They seem to be pretty territorial and one will chase the others away rather than drinking from a different "flower".

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That is a lot of hummers sucking down your sugar.

See there goes my mind again,

[Linked Image]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You really are a sick bastard...........that must be why I like you.

It's a good thing I didn't make the title of my thread "Hummers After Dark".....you mighta' sprained a finger clicking it.

Last edited by FieldGrade; 06/11/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We decided to take all our bird feeders down last week.... there is a bear crapping in our yard often enough that my wife suggested installing a toilet paper dispenser.... then the bear destroyed one of her outdoor planters. She is no longer feeling as gracious toward the bear.

Cool picture....

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
We never have more than 2 or 3 around a feeder at a time. They seem to be pretty territorial and one will chase the others away rather than drinking from a different "flower".

Thats how it is here as well.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have the least amount of Hummingbirds here that I have had for a lot of summers. Had a bunch early on but the either left before of got killed by a hailstorm. At any rate they disappeared that day, and I have only had one or two at a time since. Strange that my neighbor had some peacocks go missing at the same time. No carcasses under the roost trees, but the coyotes could have carried them off. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our neighbor's got the most spoiled hummers you've ever seen. They will empty the feeder, and hover in front of her dining room window waiting for her to come out. She will put some juice on a plastic colored teaspoon and feed all 6 of them individually, and then they "allow" her to fill the feeder.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We've got them in droves this year. 8 or so at a time. They fuss and fight until the pesky one gets tired, then all settle down to feed for a while. Then a pesky one starts up the whole melee again.

Having to fill the feeders daily now. If this keeps up and I have to feed the bees I'm going to need a place to buy sugar other than Costco.

Carpe' Scrotum
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

cool...........only have a few here........

two feeders out

must all be in Idaho

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Same here.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very casual and non-scientific observation seems to indicate that the Rufous variety, rusty colored and usually a bit smaller in size here, are the most "territorial" and aggressive in trying to chase others away. The Ruby Throated seem mild by comparison, and the big green ones seem not much affected.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
I've seen 4 on the feeder once. Two seem to be content for a while but usually a third one comes in on a strafing run and chases the other two off. They are greedy. Often a large male will watch the feeder and prevent anyone else from getting a drink. Because of that, I learned that I couldn't have two feeders in sight of each other.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,384
Posts18,488,634
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.