Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Since you are in Wisconsin, I'd suggest calling up Redneck and have him do that $50 bolt upgrade on the bolt handle..
and you'll never have to worry about it coming off...I've done that to several of my 700s and even out here, his turn around time was I had them back in less than a week after he received them..

he's located up in Baldwin WI...west of Eau Claire...off I 94.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

HR IC

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
Since you are in Wisconsin, I'd suggest calling up Redneck and have him do that $50 bolt upgrade on the bolt handle..
and you'll never have to worry about it coming off...I've done that to several of my 700s and even out here, his turn around time was I had them back in less than a week after he received them..

he's located up in Baldwin WI...west of Eau Claire...off I 94.

That's the plan. Probably have him bed it too. Needs done on an old 40-X as well. I spoke with him about doing a custom on a 70 but decided not to move forward with the project. I know he's good people.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Switch
You guys are lucky, last two Remington Stainless SPS 's and a more recent 870 Wingmaster were all junk. The rifles were about 3" rifles at best sold one and rebarreled the other, using the take off barrel as a jack handle. Customer service was the worst. Look at something else, save yourself some money and heart break. NO MORE REMINGTONS AT MY HOUSE EVER!!!!! Look up my previous posts for a long post on the subject.

As an added note I have several older 700's than I've turned into semi customs with after market stocks and barrels and a pair of box stock 700's from the 1970's with the pressed checkering. One 30 06 and one 243 that I really love and will never let go. Both are silky smooth and are among the more accurate rifles I own. Also have a Classic in 250 Savage fits in with the 243 and 30 06 as far as accuracy and feeling right in the hand. Hope someday Remington is sold to a company that cares about the customers and not only the bottom line. BRING BACK THE OLD REMINGTON QC, AND THE SAFETY THAT LOCKS THE BOLT. Also wish they would ditch that ugly 3" thick, or so it seems, on an otherwise very nice looking CDL ( Putting the soap box away for now!)

Last edited by Switch; 06/12/18.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
NO saftey that locks the bolt, that should be optional. I"d NEVER want my bolt locked.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rost495
NO saftey that locks the bolt, that should be optional. I"d NEVER want my bolt locked.

May I ask why. 3 position is more to my liking, one of the reasons I like Winchesters and to a lesser extent Savages.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The two 700s I bought recently have too much headspace. I have to form a false shoulder on the brass for the first firing.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I just took a gamble on a Remington deal that was too good to pass up.... Stainless Rem 700 adl package in 308. $395 shipped from buds guns. They are actually selling the SS for cheaper than the blued. I hope it is a decent shooter. It'll be a slowly evolving project no matter what. Chop the barrel to 21", trigger, stock replacement etc. At this price, it's about the same as buying a bare action. I haven't owned a Rem rifle in about 5 years. But those I owned in the past were good rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mike74
They rust. All my newer Remington products rust quicker than any other guns I have.

That matte finish is horrible for rusting. You can watch it build on shotguns over the course of a salt marsh duck hunt.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by longbarrel
The two 700s I bought recently have too much headspace. I have to form a false shoulder on the brass for the first firing.

Which cartridges are they chambered for?

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The matte finish on many newer Remington guns have a grainy texture that has tiny peaks and risers that are absolute rust generators. I finally painted my 870 Super Mag to beat down the rust. Conversely, my 1966 M700 has lots of bare spots devoid of bluing and never rusts when wet. All about the poor, cheap finishes on newer Remingtons. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
20 years from now, Remington 700s built during this time frame will be reffered to as the ones built during the "good ole days."

People are fickle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495

Choices are great.
I used to hate a locked bolt.
After I got one, I hate an unlocked bolt.

3-position should be great, no such center fires here though.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Current model 700s do not lock the bolt when safety is on...haven't for years.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I recently bought one of the cheaper 700 ADL models at Academy in 25-06. Shoots MOA and works great.

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Agree with the rust issues-almost worse than bare steel with their matte bluing. I had one actually rust on the way home from the range on a humid day. I took in a bare action recently and had them Cerakote it Midnight Blue, mainly so it won't rust while I decide what to build.
Fit and finish is spotty on the newer ones I have bought but they have all functioned well and most have shot at least acceptably. A 243 came out of the box shooting really well and with a minimum spec chamber that is working well for brass life.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Rust issues that remington has on their SS rifles is a result of the finish they put on it. The old SS 700's had a beautiful satin finish.

I have an 870 riot gun that just looking at it wrong makes it rust. That's because it has a crap bluing job. I have going to have it plated with metalife.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Maybe they don't get all the bluing salts out of the Sandy finish? Dunno.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 07/01/18.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
20 years from now, Remington 700s built during this time frame will be reffered to as the ones built during the "good ole days."

People are fickle.

No, no they won't. They've done some poor work here lately, I started noticing that some were problematic during the '80s, even. The rust problems aren't someone's pipe dreams, either. I'm done with them. I'm not the only one, either.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 222Sako, 204guy, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,473 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,608
Posts18,492,399
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.