Campfire Regular
B
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/t3Tb1t2.jpg?1[/img]
[Linked Image]

Doug over at Cameraland gave me this Athlon Optics Cronus BTR 1-6x24 SFP - ATSR2 SFP IR MOA to review for him. Athlon is the new kid on the block. They seemed to have an optic for every shooters budget. I’m always leery with new companies in regards to quality and standing behind their products. This year I was able to attend Shot and made sure I stopped at their booth. Being a Firearms Examiner I try to keep up to date on the latest firearms and accessories on the market.
A few months back I reviewed two of their scopes and couldn’t believe how well they performed. For the money you get lots of features and a package that works. This review was more exciting since its their top tier line the Cronus BTR which is made in Japan. This is the same factory that makes several high end scopes.

Overall this scope is very similar to my Vortex Razor except that its approximately $450 cheaper. It’s got a 30mm tube, lit reticle, locking turrets, HD glass, and an etched reticle. First impressions were that the turrets have very positive clicks, smooth power ring knob, and extremely clear glass. The reticle is perfect for my needs and not overly busy. Its designed for the 68gr and 69gr ammunition and has holdovers out to 600 yards.

For testing I mounted the optic using the Vortex CM202 mount. (seems Athlon doesn't make mount as of yet) Figures it was pouring raining when I made it to the range. Perfect opportunity for inclement weather testing. I made sure the scope got good and wet. The locking turrets were easy to zero and the lit reticle was very crisp only 1.4 MOA so no obstruction of your target. It has half clicks that allow it to turn off between each intensity setting. This is a nice feature. Optics were extremely bright and clear even in poor conditions. Excellent relief and no issues with the eye box. I ran 300 rounds though my rifle during my first day out.

Over the next 2 weeks I used the optic indoors at my job. We have a 25 yard range. Its tough to get to my outdoor range as often as I’d like. I did countless drills with my shot timer maybe shooting another 400 rounds. I can honestly say I’m extremely impressed. Running side by side with my Razor there was no difference. The Athlon comes in slightly lighter by 6oz. Its a solid well built unit. The field of view is within a few feet as well. Athlon gives you 120 MOA which is more then you'll ever need. As far as looks I love it. Low profile turrets and a clean look to the scope. Perfect scope for 3 gun matches.

Athlon hit the ground running and seemed to have caught up to the big guys rather quickly. They have an excellent warranty and the products are readily available. I didn't conduct any tracking test due to the fact that once this is zeroed there is no reason to crank the turrets. I did give the gun a bunch of hard hits and exposed it to pretty bad weather. My main concern was function and optic quality. Hands down awesome bang for the buck and I wouldn't hesitate purchasing one. Sure its not cheap but its not made in China or the Philippines. You get what you pay for. My pet peeve is when new optics come out and your waiting a year to get one. Doug showed me everything is in stock which is a plus. Next I’d love to test out the 4.5x29 on my 6x47 Lapua out to 700 yards. (HINT HINT DOUG!!)

FEATURES
HD Glass HD Glass gives you better light transmission, brighter, and sharper image.
Illuminated Reticle The illuminated reticle provides greater visibility during dusk and dawn and other low ambient light environment.
Etched Glass Reticle Reticle etched on the glass that provides excellent backing support for complex reticle design and offers great durability and much higher shock resistance to recoil
Advanced Fully Multicoated Fully Multicoated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses
XPL Coating XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches or anything else mother nature can throw at you.
High Precision Erector System The high precision erector system processed by high precision CNC machine with +/- 0.0001mm tolerance level to provide you the most accurate power settings and smoothest magnification change
6061 T6 Aluminum The 6061T6 aircraft grade aluminum tube that has exceptional strength and superior mechanical integrity will protect these world class optics no matter what punishment you throw at it.
Exposed Tactical Direct Dial Exposed Direct Dial Turrets for elevation and windage allow you to quickly make adjustment as you needed and engage your target within a blink of your eyes
Precision Zero Stop System The system allows you to lock down your zero position and dial back to it with a sharp and precise stop right at your zero mark even you are turning it in pitch-dark or blind folded.
Locking Turrets This Locking Feature allows you to push down to lock the turret and pull up to turn. This feature prevents the knobs from being turned accidentally and keeps your zero all the time.
One Piece Tube Construction Heat treated one piece tube gives the scope extra strength over multi-piece tubes. A one piece tube also is better at keeping moisture out thus keeping your scope fog proof for the life of the product
Waterproof Waterproof to protect the scope in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
Fog proof Fog proof to allow you to immediately engage your target when you take your rifle to cold ambient temperature from warm inside
Shockproof Robust mechanical system with special designs on both control and erector system that give you the ultimate recoil resistance to withstand 1000G recoil for 1000 times.
Argon Purged Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .

SPECIFICATIONS
Magnification 1-6
Objective Lens Diameter 24 mm
Reticle ATSR2 SFP IR MOA, Glass Etched
Surface Finish Matte
Lens Coating Advanced Fully Multicoated
Extra Coating Xtra Protective Coating
Tube Material 6061 Aluminium
Tube Diameter 30 mm
Exit Pupil 11.4-4.0 mm
Eye Relief 3.6-4.0"
Field of View @100 yards 106.9-17.7 ft
Click Value 0.5MOA
Adjustment range per rotation 50 MOA
Total Elevation Adjustment 120 MOA
Total Windage Adjustment 120 MOA
Turret Style Exposed Direct Dial & Locking
Parallax Adjustment Fixed at 100 yards
Purging Material Argon
Length 10.6"

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That red gun is the gayest thing I’ve ever seen.

B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Thanks I painted it myself.

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Obviously, you've not been to Target, Starbucks, or an Apple Store, just to name a few.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
All I can say is battleworn is all the rage mow. The gun can be pink for all care. I'm testing the scope not the paint.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brian,
Thanks for taking the time to test out the scope and write/post this review

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
4.5-29x..................

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by kingston
4.5-29x..................

Soon I hope!! Looking forward to a head to head with my Gen 2 Razor and my AMG.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is the Athlon 1-6x24 Cronus BTR specifically calibrated for the 5.56/.223? Based upon what I have read about this scope, it seems that it was specifically designed for competition and target shooting. The Athlon reticle also seems specifically designed for target work - would it be an effective hunting reticle? I'm not sure I like the gapped crosshairs and subtentions. Are other reticles available? I'm considering a 1-6x24 for a .35 Whelen purchase I have planned. Would this scope be good choice for that application or would you recommend something different? Thanks.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/15/18.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This scope will easily hold up to a .35 Whelen.

It is subtension for 5.56/.223 with 68/69 grain bullet weights, however, if you use a ballistics app like Strelok Pro you'll be able to get the subtension values for your caliber. Then place your target in the open gap and engage the target.

At this time there are no other reticles and to my knowledge nothing else planned.

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doug: Thanks for the information.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Doug: Thanks for the information.

That's what I'm here for smile

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I generally zero my AR at 50 yards which will be great out to 200 yards. They recommend a 200 yard zero with 69gr or 68gr ammunition at 200 yards. Sucks I won't be able to try it out until I get to my club in PA. My rifle loves Federal Gold Metal Match. My wallet doesn't.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A rifle coated with Battleworn Cerakote might impress the ARFers and Youtube Commandos, and an "Infidel" Ejection Port Cover is cool if you're a jingoistic dweeb with a Confederate Flag tattoo and truck nuts, but for the rest of us that rifle is as gay as two boys ffffffucking in the closet of a dilllldo factory while listening to Elton John.

B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Ok bro you don't like it I heard you the first time. Its my rifle you don't have to like it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
This scope will easily hold up to a .35 Whelen.

How do you know this?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I spoke with the tech rep at Athlon who has personal experience with a .35 Whelen.

If I am not sure of a reply I check with folks who will know and if they are not 100% then I'll say I do not know.

This scope will withstand 1000G recoil 1000 times according to the tech specs on it. The .35 Whelen has slightly over 20 foot pounds of recoil and this scope is tested to approx. 30 foot pounds

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
The .35 Whelen has slightly over 20 foot pounds of recoil

On a 10.5lb rifle.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A sporter weight 35 Whelen flinging 250s is a lot closer to 30 ft/lbs of recoil than 20.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A sporter weight 35 Whelen flinging 250s is a lot closer to 30 ft/lbs of recoil than 20.

Correct.

Chuck Hawks Recoil Table

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/15/18.

- Del Gue
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (44mc, 2UP, 21, 7887mm08, 3dtestify, 35, 12 invisible), 1,098 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,210
Posts18,524,280
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.