Hop To
Page 5 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 24 25
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Ironically, I've driven 1000's of miles with a Leupold strapped to an ATV and never had a bobble.

You and me both, and an ATV can beat the livin' schittt outa your gear.

[Linked Image]

Showoff grin

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Ironically, I've driven 1000's of miles with a Leupold strapped to an ATV and never had a bobble.

I've never had a Leupold 6x42 lose zero, lots of different scopes, lots of miles, drops, falls, etc. I have one mounted on a .223 Montana that lives in a gun boot on an atv driven every day. I just got tired of having to shoot 3 shots after an adjustment. I'm still a big fan of the LRD on a set and forget.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

I've never had a Leupold 6x42 lose zero, lots of different scopes, lots of miles, drops, falls, etc. I have one mounted on a .223 Montana that lives in a gun boot on an atv driven every day. I just got tired of having to shoot 3 shots after an adjustment. I'm still a big fan of the LRD on a set and forget.

I've gone to the B&C reticle in my VX3. It matches up perfectly with the ballistics in my 7-08/140AB/2800fps load.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
FWIW, all the recoil test fixtures I've seen appear to test the recoil by repeatedly banging the scope in the expected direction of recoil. Impacts from the opposite direction or from above or the sides, as could occur from real-world accidents weren't included. Airgun scopes intended for use on springers are designed to withstand the dual recoil and vibration from those guns. It'd be a pretty good trick to design a fixture to test for the random impacts a scope can experience in the field, and it still wouldn't account for differences in mounts, ring-spacing, etc.

So far, ordinary scopes have worked well for me, aside for some vagaries in adjustments, with ordinary care and caution in use. Now that ones with better adjustments are available, I'll trend towards them, and continue to use them with reasonable caution in the field. Those who require mil-spec durability are free to buy scopes that meet that requirement, and should expect to pay for it.

Need one of these to test scopes. MAST test rig

Instrument the gun, scope. Record data. Condition data for use with MTS controller, run test.

Or a 3 axis EDS for higher frequency testing, and shock testing. EDS

GOA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For the wifes [bleep] maybe. Wouldn't work for a scope. JFC!

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Over sensored 5 letter word for a strap on.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Dil do does this work?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Quite a rig.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

[Linked Image]

How far did they have to carry the deers legs?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Will the tract scope hold up to military grade hunters with balls the size of watermelons and hard as steelies?

Some hunters you could give a $30 rifle and a $50 tasco and point em toward hell and they'd come home with meat on the table! Other hunters might not be able to hunt there way out of a wet paper bag. That's just the facts of life and 95% of us have all seen it more than once.

I'm very confident tract will get it done with no worries and I'd have zero reservation hunting one..........but, I've never had to swim the Atlantic or climb a mountain twice as high as mount Everest just to fill my freezer.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve experienced many scope failures in the field, so I’m not as flippant about wanting durable, mechanically-sound scopes on my rifles. With our current technology, scopes are the most fragile part of a rifle setup. When you think about your rifle possibly failing you under harsh conditions (weather, drops, falls, etc), what’s the first thing that comes to mind? That’s right, it’s your scope. If a manufacturer will make a scope that can minimize the risk of my rifle setup failing, I’m all for using it over more tender scope options on the market. Hence my general question: What’s the downside to having scopes that function correctly and can beat tent pegs and not lose zero? A couple of ounces? I’ll take the weight penalty, personally. That’s a worthwhile tradeoff IMO.

There are scopes that are built this way at every price point above $250, so money is no excuse to not build a scope made to work properly without failing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well you must not be one of "Some hunters you could give a $30 rifle and a $50 tasco"

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What? There are plenty of good $30 rifles on the market.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Jordan Smith, I agree with you on much of what you said and I've always appreciated your approach that is both classy and respectful when making a reply to anyone on this forum. In fact I use a SWFA fixed 6 on my main hunting rifle for a reason. I know how well the SWFA fixed 6 works mainly because I have first hand experience and so I can make a respectful and classy reply that is based on experience concerning the SWFA fixed 6. I've used 3 of the SWFA 10s and there of the same quality IME though I prefer the 6 in most hunting situations I find myself in. Until I have first hand experience with Tract I choose to reserve judgement the same as I would for any decent person I run across.

One thing that does have me somewhat baffled sir is why someone as respectful and classy as yourself is choosing to mingle with some so called cesspool dwellers that have repeatedly shown a complete lack of respect for others and in this case based on zero first hand experience with the product.

You sir are one of the good guys and whenever you invite yourself into someone else's camp I've never seen you do it with contempt or disdain. You most certainly would be welcome in my camp anytime and likely most others around here. Your a valued campfire member by the majority. 16 bore is another great campfire member though lately I'm begining to wonder why he's choosing to take an unclassy road based on his Association with cesspool dwellers. I think both you valuable members should rethink your class and your worth and choose Association based on your worth around here.

Me......Im just one campfire member that isn't afraid to treat cowards and cesspool dwellers like the disrespectful schit they choose to be. In fact some have even offered to make a truce or befriend me if I would only apologize for my unkind acts. Why would I want to befriend anyone who walks into another man's camp unannounced treating folks with contempt and disdain???

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Trystan.... you’re a lying piece of schitt.... you’ve proved time and time again. You should come back “tomorrow”...

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

They say everything is bigger in Texas...John, you need a bigger ATV, or shoot smaller deer. 😃😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm lucky more than anything else.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bhoges
So the scopes are tested at the factory with a machine that replicates impacts equivalent to 1000G force.

Thanks for your response, but that wasn't what I was looking for. It seems that you're just regurgitating info that you read, or were told.

I'm respectfully asking for a response from someone at Tract that actually knows what they are talking about in terms of random vibration, impact loads, etc. In other words, an authoritative figure that can elaborate on these marketing claims.

I suspect that nobody at Tract has this knowledge, and that is OK. The manufacturer probably does have that information and knowledge. What I don't care for is Tract, or their latest online representative just throwing out, "replicates impacts equivalent to 1000G force" when they don't seem to know what they are talking about.

Throw out the technical details, jargon, and info. We can handle it!

Thanks,

Jason

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by bhoges
They are tested to 1000G in recoil testing. All the scopes have the same specs in that regards.

These G-tests are not universally understood, and there is a lot of room for misunderstanding. Can you elaborate on what a "1000G recoil" test is?

Please provide details, or at least a technical explanation, to support the claim.

Thanks,

Jason

For reference, my post above contains the original question that was asked. I am still waiting for an answer.

Thanks,

Jason

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by mathman
Didn't you also give one of the early 3-9x40 Vortex scopes a workout?

Yeah, but that was only for a few weeks.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 5 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 54 invisible), 2,208 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,361
Posts18,506,347
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.