-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Nope, nothing to do with "physics"...Alaska is Alaska is like California is California...state of mind of the denizens of different kinds of Wilderness.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Nope, nothing to do with "physics"...Alaska is Alaska is like California is California...state of mind of the denizens of different kinds of Wilderness.

???

Channeling Gus?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
gnoahhh, I read an article by a respected finisher in I think it was a Rifle reprint where he discovered a technique that gave him the finish he always wanted and in a shore time. He shared the technique with another respected finisher who couldn't get even acceptable (to him) results. Told me some good methods may work for one guy but not another. Practice boards, find the technique that works for you if you want more than an average finish.

Lived in Alexandria/Arlington but worth it for the oysters and crabs.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by nighthawk
gnoahhh, I read an article by a respected finisher in I think it was a Rifle reprint where he discovered a technique that gave him the finish he always wanted and in a shore time. He shared the technique with another respected finisher who couldn't get even acceptable (to him) results. Told me some good methods may work for one guy but not another. Practice boards, find the technique that works for you if you want more than an average finish.

Lived in Alexandria/Arlington but worth it for the oysters and crabs.

There are lousy teachers and lousy students...

And sometimes they cross paths.

There is no reason for incantations, lip sets, oblique lighting, or secret codes...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Some of you mean to turn this into alchemy...

If a method works, it always works or it’s a different method.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yeah, next old rifle I buy, am making sure I get another with the same stock so that I can saw it in half after using it as a "practice board".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston
Some of you mean to turn this into alchemy...

If a method works, it always works or it’s a different method technique.

How I'd say it. Like me and the slop on - wipe off method. Like Sitka pointed out (thanks) I'm using the same method but probably out of habit doing something wrong with the way I'm doing it.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G

Yeah, next old rifle I buy, am making sure I get another with the same stock so that I can saw it in half after using it as a "practice board".

??? You don't have scraps of walnut where you live? Doing a test board is, like, Finishing 101.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Menard's etc. sells pieces of plain walnut cheap enough. Not the same but close enough I've found.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

??? You don't have scraps of walnut where you live? Doing a test board is, like, Finishing 101.

More like a prerequisite for High School Wood Shop back in the day...

Sad when someone was mislead and insists on passing bad info on. Even when good info, and an easy route to proving it, is available.

IC B3

S
S99VG Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Well it seems like there's controversy regarding the ability of solvents to cause tung or linseed oils to penetrate deeper into wood. My two cents, which are worth a penny these days, is that the particles that make up tung or linseed oils are larger than those that constitute solvents - I may be wrong. But if so, the oil is only going to go down so deep into the wood - based on its density - and the solvent will go deeper - based on lesser density. Its kind of like how things migrate through soil (or how soil is formed) if you ever look at the sidewall profile of a trench. To me, solvents have always been a way to thin the materiel I use for the finish. So if the tung oil I am using is too thick and gooey I can make it work better by thinning it out with a solvent (being the son of a mechanic I have to say that solvents were usually good for cleaning up parts and jobs and not much else). I think artist use this idea when adding linseed oil to paint to make it flow better or to increase its working time before drying. Anyhow, that's my two cents worth which I'm sure has suffered considerably from the effects of inflation in the short time it took to write this post. Thanks again to everyone who kicked in on this post. I appreciate your help.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Bingo. I use solvents (usually naptha) to slightly thin top coats of varnish precisely for that reason- to make it flow better.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by S99VG
Well it seems like there's controversy regarding the ability of solvents to cause tung or linseed oils to penetrate deeper into wood. My two cents, which are worth a penny these days, is that the particles that make up tung or linseed oils are larger than those that constitute solvents - I may be wrong. But if so, the oil is only going to go down so deep into the wood - based on its density - and the solvent will go deeper - based on lesser density. Its kind of like how things migrate through soil (or how soil is formed) if you ever look at the sidewall profile of a trench. To me, solvents have always been a way to thin the materiel I use for the finish. So if the tung oil I am using is too thick and gooey I can make it work better by thinning it out with a solvent (being the son of a mechanic I have to say that solvents were usually good for cleaning up parts and jobs and not much else). I think artist use this idea when adding linseed oil to paint to make it flow better or to increase its working time before drying. Anyhow, that's my two cents worth which I'm sure has suffered considerably from the effects of inflation in the short time it took to write this post. Thanks again to everyone who kicked in on this post. I appreciate your help.

A very important point you made is about increasing working time of your finish... that is absolutely true. But because the solvent evaporates leaving less finish it is often confused with speeding the drying...

There is no magic; it cannot increase working time (pot life, open time, etc) without delaying curing.

S
S99VG Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Makes sense to me. Seems like you can have, say, 8-oz of tung oil in a cup to use on your stock. The 8-oz in the cup represents 100% of your finishing material and it is 100% tung. Now I can drain 4-oz out of that cup and add 4-oz of mineral spirits and still have the original 100% (quantity) of finishing material, but now 50% is solvent and only 50% is tung. And, as such, I would expect for that 50/50 solution to only be half as effective in accomplishing the job of finishing a gun stock because it contains less oil. Funny how its called thinner, eh? So now I have to ask if penetration actually decreases with the use of solvents as I would assume such solutions evaporate faster and transport less oil to he wood for every individual application. I also have to ask if it takes longer to get a stock job done for the same reasons. I guess I just came full circle with my dad and now see solvents as primarily good for cleaning up. Sorry for yammering on but I’m sitting here with a cup of coffee waiting on an oil change and as Paul Harvey used to say, “and now you know the rest of the story.”

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Tell the oil change guys to thin the oil with some mineral spirits. It'll soak into the bearings better. grin

S
S99VG Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Will do and they’ll dig selling me a new engine too!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Tell the oil change guys to thin the oil with some mineral spirits. It'll soak into the bearings better. grin

Laughing!

But BINGO!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Same mindset in Berkeley, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco. When are you guys having your parade?

S
S99VG Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S

Same mindset in Berkeley, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco. When are you guys having your parade?

Ah man. That wasn't called for. This is just a forum. When things make me pissed I just tell myself that all I'm reacting to are an ordered set of electrons on a computer screen that may, or may not, represent an actual human being. Its just talk and furthermore its just talk about ideas. Nobody has a gun to their heads. Its all cool.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Please, wake up and smell the solvent!

You have to know you are only guessing and continuing to dig when you are in a deep hole makes you look foolish and butthurt.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,114
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.