For the first time I'm experimenting with pure tung oil and need some advice, or perspective as such. I'm refinishing a M2 Springfield stock and have been using pure tung oil as I want to stay as close to original with this project as I can. I am not a fan of boiled linseed oil. So far I probably have about six coats on this thing with the last few being thin "skim coats" that were put on with my hands and allowed to dry. It takes hours for the coats to dry (no surprises here) and within something like one hour the coat will dry up or soak in and go real dull. I don't want a built up finish nor one that looks as glossy as a pimp-mobile, but I also want to get the project done. Will the surface of the wood eventually become saturated and the finish stop turning dull or is this as good as it gets? What am I missing here as the dull sheen is a bit too dull for my taste and it just doesn't look any good? Should I top coat with something that will give a more satin look? Other than this problem pure tung oil is pretty cool stuff. Thanks much for any help.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"