-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I try to spend as much time as I possibly can in the mountains, fortunately I have mountains in my backyard and get out 4-5 days a week, one or two hours during the week and at least one long day on the weekend. I'll hit the gym twice a week strength training- a mix of body weight exercises and basic compound lifts.

I'm a firm believer in specificity; if you're hunting rough country in the mountains, the more time you spend moving through mountainous rough country, the more efficient you'll move through that country

GB1

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Yup, legs and lungs.
...The less weight on my frame, the more I can put on my pack frame.

That's been the biggest improvement in my stamina over the past few years. Went from 225 to 185 and it's like having a weight-free backpack

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I have not read all the responses so this may have been brought up already, but I really think having the right mental attitude is more important than anything else, and is substantially more important than muscular strength. It takes just normal strength to be able to lift an 80 pound pack and put it on. Hiking several miles with that heavy pack takes leg and core strength no doubt, but I don't think as much as a lot of people believe. A guy simply has to have the right attitude to keep going and going and going to pack out elk more "easily".

Being in shape cardio wise is never a bad thing, but there's plenty of long distance runners that can't hike worth a damn, let alone with elk quarters on their back. Same with athletes in their prime. Back in college at the University of Idaho I took a few football payers elk hunting, and I was unimpressed to say the least. They simply couldn't hike rough country even with just a daypack. This wasn't extreme high altitude hikes either, which can have an effect. I am pretty scrawny, and am embarrassing in the gym as I can't even bench my body weight. I can pack elk with the best of them however, because I enjoy it, or at least don't mind it-where in the gym my attitude is a bit different. I think of packing elk as a challenge, and one I am often excited about and certainly willing to accept.

Another thing I think is important to mention is that the more muscle a person has, the more weight he has to carry in the hills.
Our good friend taught me the same. The brain will give out before the other parts. That said, I need to be less of a tub of lard and do more running...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have not read all the responses so this may have been brought up already, but I really think having the right mental attitude is more important than anything else, and is substantially more important than muscular strength. It takes just normal strength to be able to lift an 80 pound pack and put it on. Hiking several miles with that heavy pack takes leg and core strength no doubt, but I don't think as much as a lot of people believe. A guy simply has to have the right attitude to keep going and going and going to pack out elk more "easily".

Being in shape cardio wise is never a bad thing, but there's plenty of long distance runners that can't hike worth a damn, let alone with elk quarters on their back. Same with athletes in their prime. Back in college at the University of Idaho I took a few football payers elk hunting, and I was unimpressed to say the least. They simply couldn't hike rough country even with just a daypack. This wasn't extreme high altitude hikes either, which can have an effect. I am pretty scrawny, and am embarrassing in the gym as I can't even bench my body weight. I can pack elk with the best of them however, because I enjoy it, or at least don't mind it-where in the gym my attitude is a bit different. I think of packing elk as a challenge, and one I am often excited about and certainly willing to accept.

Another thing I think is important to mention is that the more muscle a person has, the more weight he has to carry in the hills.

Agreed.

Attitude is critical.

A lot of football players don't have much endurance. They train for strength, speed (in short bursts) and, mostly, want to weigh as much as possible. Rugby and soccer players have a lot more stamina.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am 60 and live where I hunt in the West slope of the Rockies. I keep a year around cardio program, ride and rope steers. I do no upper body stuff and actually wish I wasn't so overly muscled from work. The most important thing a mountain hunter can do is cardio work, imo.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointer

Our good friend taught me the same. The brain will give out before the other parts. That said, I need to be less of a tub of lard and do more running...

Running will tear your knees apart, at least it did mine. Get to hiking with a pack and you'll work every muscle in your body. Your knees may still take a beating, but I can't imagine it isn't "better" for them than running.

Come Feb, you and I will be putting everything we've said here to the testlaugh, and I am more than a bit looking forward to wearing myself the hell out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer

Running will tear your knees apart, at least it did mine. Get to hiking with a pack and you'll work every muscle in your body. Your knees may still take a beating, but I can't imagine it isn't "better" for them than running.

Come Feb, you and I will be putting everything we've said here to the testlaugh, and I am more than a bit looking forward to wearing myself the hell out.
I can run from my front door. "Hiking" takes quite a bit longer to get to from where I live, especially if I want to include any topography. That said, I get your point just not sure I can get the same experience here in the many times glaciated part of the state (ie VERY flat). I too am looking forward to Feb. I'm thinking it'll be a great story to tell the boys so they don't think I am as lame as I am.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Brad
My best friend at age 60 still has a legitimate 400+ lb bench press. When he was younger he had a 680 lb squat. So upper and lower in spades. 25 years back I took him and another friend (who was in the NHL at the time - a 14 year veteran) for a backpack in the Bob Marshall... you've never seen two guys more thoroughly pooped. Was kind of funny. Truth is, humping packs is something of a shock to the system, but mostly the mind. I think they looked at me and my slight frame and thought; "how hard can it be?" It's as much mental as physical. But you've still got to have legit cardio and leg strength to go the distance.

I spent several years on Army Special Forces A Detachments in the late 80’s and early 90’s, when the focus was on dismounted/guerrilla warfare. We expected that if things went bad, we’d be walking several hundred miles to get home, and our training regimen was based on a ruck weighing at least 60 pounds. I think those conditions pretty closely approximate packing out game.

Each team was allowed to create its own program. My last team had a reputation for being physical, and we often talked seasoned instructor-controllers into the ground during multi-week exercises. When we were not in the field, we did PT every morning Monday through Friday. The gym was optional but a boatload of body-weight calisthenics were not. We alternated running and rucking, with a minimum of three miles at 7-8 minute pace on runs. Some mornings we’d run 5 or 6 miles, and occasionally we’d work up to 12-18 mile runs. The run pace was always about 7-8 minutes per mile on anything over three miles, but sometimes we went on shorter runs at a faster pace. Rucksack pace topped out about 3 MPH, as anything faster would destroy knees and ankles. We also spent a lot of time stretching before and after. Most of the teams in my battalion did some variation of this, but the scuba teams had their own thing.

We occasionally carried loads over 60 pounds in the field, but it was widely regarded as being something to avoid at all costs. We never carried more than 60 pounds in training--it was just too hard on knees and ankles, and we were banned by the Group Surgeon from running with rucksacks.

It was a lot of work, but I could eat almost anything I wanted and I could drink as much beer as I could hold without gaining weight.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

273 members (338reddog, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2UP, 257 mag, 35, 23 invisible), 1,828 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,628
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.