Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Again, I give you guys the opportunity to pull an all nighter and you disappoint. I’ve about given up anything of value from you but the entertainment value is pretty good so I will allow you to continue.

So any way. I feel bad for the OP and his request looking for input on broadheads so I want to help him out.

Since I outfit and set up not only myself but others wanting to boost arrow lethality on really big game (many species larger than elk) since the animals I’ve killed and those I’ve set up rigs for others have pretty thick hides and far thicker than relatively thin skinned critters like elk, I can tell you there are a lot of good options. I’ve already mentioned the cutthroats as a great option and its what I used on a recent water buffalo and since water buffalo have a hide that is nearly an inch thick in certain parts (I doubted that until I was skinning my water buffalo), its will be a home run for relatively thin skinned animals like elk. The cutthroat web site is flush with pictures of happy elk hunters.

Anther (lower cost) option is the three rivers Woodsman head. I’ve used it and can attest to its lethality. I’ve set up numerous bowhunters with this head. One such guy that came to me was doing a bison hunt and wanted me to recommend him a broadhead with a bow with specs much like the OP. Bison have not only a thicker hide than elk but that damned carpet on the shoulders. He was pleased with what I put together for him

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That said, last weekend he approached me at the Pope and Young event asking for help again. This time he is headed to Africa for 5 species of adult sized game more durable than elk and saw my water buffalo pics and wondered if he would be better served with the cutthroats. I told him he would be so he is using mine since they are currently sitting idle. I told him that the guide for my water buff hunt said bowhunters won’t get a pass through on water buffalo due to the incredibly thick hide and leaf springs they have for ribs.

I proved him wrong by getting a pass through with a cutthroat. This is the exist side of a nearly 2000 pound buff and the broken part that protruded (and I’m shooting less weight than the OP)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

From a body size standpoint you can see a Water Buff is a magnitude larger than an elk.

[Linked Image]

I hope this helps. Now I return you to the chattering masses to focus on grammar and spelling errors (I’ve left some in here to trigger them) and their pouting and tantrums and general feeling of inadequacy. They will no doubt whine some more (its entertaining) and once again, I will strike at their heads as they strike at my heels. (that should fire them up get at least two more pages of their breathless protests) wink

Now, I’m going to be out much of the day visiting two more hospitals using our equipment but I will check in later to read demands for “elk pictures” when the OP is asking for “broadhead recommendations” for critters as big as elk.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well I just learned that a pass through is if the head makes it out the other side,not the whole arrow. Learn something new every day.

That means years ago on a large pig with 2.5 inch shields, wife made a pass through, 46 pound draw, zwickey head. THROUGH the shields.

This isn't any harder than folks make it but all the arguing drags it on.

If you want penetration, its simple. COC heads do better than others. Smaller and less blades do better than others. Heavier arrow weight helps penetration on top of that.

Beyond that its just choose what you like. No one needs a 'pass' through anyway, just need to get to the off side of the inside of the ribs anyway.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rost495
Learn something new every day.

You are welcome. stick around. I would encourage you to ask as many bowhunting questions as possible. wink

Most folks new to bowhunting may not be aware that its only the broadhead that is responsible for lethality/hemorrhage. Getting that sharp thing to PASS THROUGH both side of the critter is key to lethality/hemorrhage and those two holes make for double blood trail bowhunters enjoy. If the carbon, aluminum or wood shaft and fletchings do not pass through its not required or necessary to that goal and they normally break off at the first swing of the shoulders any way but getting a pass through of the broadhead is the goal you will want to shoot for as once the head passes through the far side hide, its done all the damage it can do so it matter not if the head is an inch past the hide or in the dirt, it cant do any more than its already done.

Last edited by sharp_things; 06/15/18.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I have killed only 5 elk.... a calf, 3 cows and 2 bulls,,,,, all DIY, coming from Wisconsin, with a set up a lot less than yours. My bows pulled 55 lbs. I think your compound set up will be good with anything,,,, I have used the old style 3 blade Muzzy at 125 grain, the Razor Cap, a vented style bh, like the woodsman, but not made anymore, and I have used the Magnus. I am a big fan of the Magnus line, especially the Buzz Cut...... also the Dead Ringer Butcher is one that I have heard good things about.......

I am no expert, but have a lot of patience..... I shot my really big bull, 5 x 6 at 9 steps. When I first spotted him bedded he was 110 yards at 3pm... It took till 440pm to get him in, so don't rush the shot

I will be solo this year, looking for a nice fat cow, since I love eating elk meat....... might hunt both Colorado and Idaho.................. good luck

IC B2

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 3,100 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,572
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.