Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 25 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 24 25
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Jimmy, that’s a fair question that puts things in perspective. 15 years ago, the answer would have been easily leupold. Today, in that price range, it’s harder. I would probably lean towards Meopta (or Zeiss). For a few hundred more, there are more options like Swarovski Z5 and hunting line of NF, or if you can still find them, the LRHS from Bushnell. The SS HD glass is adequate and repeatability stellar, but I’m not a fan of the reticle for lowlight hunting conditions. For precisely the reasons you mention, I would not go the Leupold route—-been there done that x2. In both cases, I figured it cost me a couple hundred dollars and a silly amount of frustration and time. I’m a real fan of Tract binos but want to see a few more tests of the Toric line of scopes. I’ve got a great shooting T3x in 06 that’s looking for an upgrade in optics.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kingston
I started working up storyboards.

So far there’s an United Colors of Benetton storefront at a post apocalyptic strip mall, 10,000 cubic yards of whipped cream, a hot air ballon with a confetti cannon and three clowns, but two of them are mannequins.

More later my crayon sharpener broke.

WTF lol

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by bhoges
Hard to compare NF to a $400 Tract.

We compare $300 SWFAs to Nightforce scopes all the time, and they compare favorably in the tracking and zero holding departments. There is zero reason a Tract shouldn't be able to do the same, but they don't compare. Instead we just get excuses whining about flawed testing, because the cheap POS Tracts won't hold up. If you think they'll hold up, do drop tests or shut up.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Originally Posted by prairie_goat

We compare $300 SWFAs to Nightforce scopes all the time, and they compare favorably in the tracking and zero holding departments. There is zero reason a Tract shouldn't be able to do the same, but they don't compare. Instead we just get excuses whining about flawed testing, because the cheap POS Tracts won't hold up. If you think they'll hold up, do drop tests or shut up.

Is this your experience with a Tract scope?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
According to the information in this thread here are some of the facts. A number of folks have tried a tract scope and were very pleased with the results. In fact though its not contained in this thread Mule Deer I believe made the statement that you are getting more for less money with the Tract optic. We Also have a number of folks who seem to be down talking the Tract optic when in fact they have never even tried one. Many of those same folks have said many times that first hand experience is the only authority that grants a reply made in wisdom otherwise your just a dumbass talking out your ass! In this case I'd take my own advice and get first hand experience before making a reply. A good number here who have first hand experience seem to be saying the exact opposite of those who haven't even seen the scope in question.

Than we also have the Form test. The most flawed part of that test was the fact that the scope had been passed around plenty before it arrived at Forms front door. In fact whoever sent the scope to Form you would think no doubt new the scope was tits up and the problem showed immediately. Makes me wonder how many handled the scope previously that may have even had a dog in the fight. Hell, send me your favorite Nightforce and I'll send it to Form to be tested as soon as I'm done with it. I guarantee you it won't even get past sighting it in if I don't want it to. This test Form did was ridiculous and Form even stated as very matter of fact that the test certainly was not to be taken as valid because of to many unknown variables. I took Forms word at that! Some however have chose to cherry pick through Forms words rather than take all of Forms words in its entirety.

For many hunters it appears to me the Tract scope line is going to offer more for less dollars and thats a good thing for most of us. Do I think the Tract scope will track with an SWFA. No! and personally I don't need it to be an SWFA. Why! Because SWFA"s are heavy and I do have certain hunting situations where I don't feel like packing around the extra weight. I realize bombproof mechanical integrity would be nice but if you make the Tract scope heavy like an SWFA what's the point. Just buy am SWFA if thats what your after.

I for one along with many others will opt for Reasonable mechanical integrity for the weight savings. So far according to those with first hand experience Tract is proving to be more than reasonable as far as mechanical integrity is involved short of a $2500 sniper capable scope. Again the comparison is just freaking absurd!

I think Tract is here to Stay and I think they offer a lot of what most hunters want for a great deal. In the end Tracts long term success I think will come down to quality control and if Tract keeps that top notch I think they are going to knock this out of the park.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
IC B2

TBS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Trystan, You said it better than i could!!

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

Or what will happen exactly ?

Last edited by JGRaider; 06/20/18.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

You sound like you have a vested interest in SWFA. I know you don't believe in Tract so why not let it go already? Its seems your just here to flame every post I make and we can do nothing right. I just started last week it takes time to get up to speed. I don't even have product myself to test. So you want to compare a fixed power SWFA to a variable Tract? Why don't you send me a SWFA to test? How do I know your test tins't bias?

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would wager money if your not a turret twister you will like the toric scope. its a LOW built scope. if your a set it and forget it guy, that is not much a challenge for a decent built scope. Think bushnell elite series. but then again why not just buy an elite instead? I would quite honestly. Even though vista outdoors sucks and is terrible for bushnell, The brand is still likely to be around for a while. Tract, who knows. Like I said already Tract needs something else in this competitive market than # me too. Video each scope being tested. Give some to tactical shooters and internet wannabees, Get them posting their experiences. This is how you build and optics company from nothing and take it beyond boutique. It has to offer something. Right now I don't see enough of an advantage to push the buy button. just looked at tracts web site again. the toric is $725, at that price point I am buying a nightforce SHV or a zeiss V4, just being totally honest, yeah the v4 is probably a bit more but there are places where you can get one for about the same as the tract if you look around. The V4 is stunning in person. Its got a zero stop turret as well. both those brands offer resale value and aren't going anywhere if you break the scope. Why again would I buy I tract? I wouldn't unless I am convinced I need to.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

You sound like you have a vested interest in SWFA. I know you don't believe in Tract so why not let it go already? Its seems your just here to flame every post I make and we can do nothing right. I just started last week it takes time to get up to speed. I don't even have product myself to test. So you want to compare a fixed power SWFA to a variable Tract? Why don't you send me a SWFA to test? How do I know your test tins't bias?

How exactly would you propose testing it?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

It won't be shoved up your size 7 1/2 ass. Though I'm sure you have a Photoshop for that

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
What the [bleep] is a "7 1/2 ass"? That some kinda NAMBLA secret code [bleep]?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Steelie’s not getting enough attention, so he’s acting out.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jackmountain
What the [bleep] is a "7 1/2 ass"? That some kinda NAMBLA secret code [bleep]?

Haha you never disappoint jack!!! Lmao

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Trystan,

"In fact though its not contained in this thread Mule Deer I believe made the statement that you are getting more for less money with the Tract optic."

I did not make that statement. What I have written about the Tract Toric 3-15x42 I've tested (and have continued to test for well over a year now) is that the adjustments have worked perfectly so far, and the optics rated the best for the least price any I've ever tested on my night-time optics chart.

I started testing this particular scope on one of my usual scope-busters, a very accurate Heym .300 Winchester Magnum, using a load that averages around 1/2" for 3-shot groups at 100 yards, the 210 Berger VLD at around 2950 fps. The scope worked perfectly out to 1000 yards, cranking it both up and down to shoot at various ranges from 200-1000, and then when I turned it back to the 100-yard zero again it put three into the usual small cluster, exactly where it had been zeroed to start. All together I fired about 55-60 rounds of that load, as I recall.

Did NOT do a "drop test," however. I should probably also mention that the .300 has steel Talley bases Acra-Glassed to the receiver, and the scope was mounted in steel Talley rings.

Then I mounted the Torix on my much lighter NULA .30-06, also a very accurate rifle, and it worked perfectly for several dozen rounds as well. The NULA has Talley Lightweights (which are actually NULA-designed rings) Loc-Tited to the receiver. Also did not do a "drop test" with the NULA.

Since then I've put the scope on 3-4 other rifles as well, though none that recoil as much as the .300 or .30-06, and it has continued to work correctly, after hundreds or rounds.

Admittedly that is ONE scope, but have heard reports from several other hunters who bought Torics and have gotten the same sort of results--though none have performed a "drop test."

Tract is one of a few companies that directly market made-in-Asia optics on the Internet, instead of going through the standard distribution channels. I've tested (and own) optics from other such firms (including a number of SWFA scopes, and binoculars from Tract and Maven) and they have all provided above-average performance for the price among the dozens of optics I test every year.

But admittedly I don't do "drop tests" with scopes. Never have, and probably never will. Instead I mount them on harder-kicking rifles and shoot them for a while, to see if they quit working correctly. Quite a few quit, often within the first 50-100 rounds. In fact I've now had 19 brands of riflescopes (not individual scopes) fail in some way, either right out of the box or after some shooting, some that cost quite a bit. In fact during the past month had one retailing for over $2000 fail within 50 rounds, and it was a brand with a great reputation for ruggedness. In fact have never had one of that brand fail before, but anything mechanical made by humans can screw up. So again, my Tract Toric is only an example of one.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You should make a video of yourself abusing it, include that DVD with it and sell it to Cummins cowboy. He's in the market for just that apparently.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks John for your review of the Tract Toric . Those results are very good by any measure.

Maybe this will sink in to some that think you need to drop test a scope, I don't and one test by Form, should not be the picture of any kind
of reliability.
I don't like a smear and complain crowd, some without any knowledge who like to chime in without any experience.

Cowboy, don't buy a Tract. Stay with a Nightforce, it seems you think you need it. LOL.......

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ll test one if you send it . Where the hell is the tract scope that was being passed around?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 9 of 25 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1eyedmule, 1minute, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,410
Posts18,507,058
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.