OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow. Crazy stuff. Is there any indication as to what killed the missing hiker?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Rumors are bear in above article was defending kill site. But rumor only. If that proves to be the case it will be interesting to see if it was a predatory event or opportunistic scavenging situation.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
" the bear was not acting normal" protecting its kill ?

Last edited by sidepass; 06/20/18.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
APD confirmed missing man was killed by bear and bear was protecting kill.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Update, 1 p.m.:

Mike Soltis, the Eagle River hiker missing since Monday night, was killed by a bear, said MJ Thim of the Anchorage Police Department.

Soltis' body was found in the same area — near where Hiland Road ends — that a brown bear attacked a member of a search party Wednesday morning.

"It appears the brown bear was protecting the body when it attacked a member of the search party," APD said.

The body was found a short distance from the road, Thim said.

As of 1 p.m., officers were on the scene protecting the body for the medical examiner. Traffic was being blocked from passing the area.

"The bear has not been located," APD said in a statement. "Police are still asking people to avoid the area due to the aggressive bear.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Play stupid games win stupid prizes. We enter their world we should be prepared to pay. Goverment should not be there to protect us from our own ignorance.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Rumors are bear in above article was defending kill site. But rumor only. If that proves to be the case it will be interesting to see if it was a predatory event or opportunistic scavenging situation.

Wouldn’t the bear have eaten a considerable amount of the body in a couple days time?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by sidepass
Play stupid games win stupid prizes. We enter their world we should be prepared to pay. Goverment should not be there to protect us from our own ignorance.

Care to elaborate? What, exactly, was the stupid game? Hiking by oneself? Looking for a missing loved one? Not sure I follow.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by kingston

Wouldn’t the bear have eaten a considerable amount of the body in a couple days time?

Maybe he wasn't a tasty meal. One never knows.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hiking by oneself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hiking by oneself.
That's a very popular area for hikers, I've hiked it dozens of times and have never seen a bear but I do carry a handgun just in case. I also see lots and lots of hikers there that don't carry any weapons. Hiking by yourself isn't a stupid game, people do it all the time up here. It ain't stupid by any stretch to go hiking by oneself as long as you're aware of your surroundings.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Update, 1 p.m.:

Mike Soltis, the Eagle River hiker missing since Monday night, was killed by a bear, said MJ Thim of the Anchorage Police Department.

Soltis' body was found in the same area — near where Hiland Road ends — that a brown bear attacked a member of a search party Wednesday morning.

"It appears the brown bear was protecting the body when it attacked a member of the search party," APD said.

The body was found a short distance from the road, Thim said.

As of 1 p.m., officers were on the scene protecting the body for the medical examiner. Traffic was being blocked from passing the area.

"The bear has not been located," APD said in a statement. "Police are still asking people to avoid the area due to the aggressive bear.
That indicates a predatory attack, bear needs to be taken out.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Hiking by oneself.
That's a very popular area for hikers, I've hiked it dozens of times and have never seen a bear but I do carry a handgun just in case. I also see lots and lots of hikers there that don't carry any weapons. Hiking by yourself isn't a stupid game, people do it all the time up here. It ain't stupid by any stretch to go hiking by oneself as long as you're aware of your surroundings.

Agreed, what is stupid is hiking by oneself and wearing earbuds to tune out the world around you as you imitate a gob of roe in a salmon's face...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Hiking by oneself.

Agreed, what is stupid is hiking by oneself and wearing earbuds to tune out the world around you as you imitate a gob of roe in a salmon's face...
Now that is stupid.

Steelhead

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes , one can hike alone but must be aware at all times and be prepared with spray and or a firearm. Assuming you'll have no problems is making a ass out of you or me. A sad but true possibility.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Spray really seals the deal for me on your comments...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
So fellows ...if the guy carried any gun ...would it have helped? Im talking a .380....any gun better than none? I have had my runnings with bears ,poping jaws ,ground tromping and all. (..chit happens fast)

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would never carry it, everyones not comfortable with firearms. So be it. Opinions are like azzholes ,we all have one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,457
Posts18,471,135
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.