Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bhoges
How does his scope compare to the bushnell 1.5-6x24 that’s on sale from Doug.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
And how does it compare with the SWFA SS HD 1-6x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
A rifle coated with Battleworn Cerakote might impress the ARFers and Youtube Commandos, and an "Infidel" Ejection Port Cover is cool if you're a jingoistic dweeb with a Confederate Flag tattoo and truck nuts, but for the rest of us that rifle is as gay as two boys ffffffucking in the closet of a dilllldo factory while listening to Elton John.

Classy response.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If I wanted a Texan's opinion, I'd ask for it. Never met one worth the time of day.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I consider it a compliment when losers like you don't like me.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You'll have to try harder than that. Was it the jingoistic comment that hit home? The TYFYS guys who've never served a day in their life are always the wannabe patriots.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Wow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Wow.

I was thinking the exact same thing. He must not know many Texans.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bhoges: Back on topic. Thanks for the great review. I too am interested in a 1-6x24, so I'd also be interested to read about comparisons to the competition. I'd also like to know what you think about battery life as I've read that it's dismal (4 hrs.) and I'd be interested to know what you think about using the Athlon Cronus on a dedicated, medium-bore hunting rifle.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/16/18.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Dre
Bhoges

It doesn't that not a fair comparison. Your comparing a made in Japan scope that cost 1k to a $150 scope. Not even in the same ball park.

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
IC B3

B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
This scope is on par with the Vortex Razor 1-6x24. Its that good. Guys please keep it civil. Are we adults or what? We all share the same interest. Enough about the Cerakote already. Im here to talk about Athlon and help Doug move some glass. Im on vacation and figured I'd check the post. Not a fan of the insults. It makes us all look bad. I spoke to Rick Bin at Shot about this. The Leupold post got down right stupid.

Last edited by bhoges; 06/18/18.

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bhoges
Originally Posted by Dre
Bhoges

It doesn't that not a fair comparison. Your comparing a made in Japan scope that cost 1k to a $150 scope. Not even in the same ball park.

My bad! I looked again at Doug’s site and I was thinking of the Athlon Midas 1-6x24 that’s around 340 and the bushnell MSRP
is 300$ so I thought it’s a fair comparison and why I asked.
Thanks again for the reply

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
T
T
I've tested this scope up to .338 Lapua for 100 rounds. The 35 Whelen will be fine.

Other than a great reticle design, this scope has several things going for it, The locking turret design is nice. I'd say this scope has one of the most forgiving eye reliefs/eyebox I've seen on a 1-6 or 1-8. I found the Vortex Strike Eagle and the Bushnell to be fairly unforgiving in comparison. On 1x, it's almost dead on. I find scopes that are slightly +/- at 1x to be very distracting, I have no issues with that on this scope!

Dustin
Athlon Optics Rep
1-855-913-5678
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thunderrun: Thanks for the info. Do you have any comments on the Athlon Cronus battery life? Is the illuminated reticle daylight bright?

- Del Gue
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Thunderrun: Thanks for the info. Do you have any comments on the Athlon Cronus battery life? Is the illuminated reticle daylight bright?

Good questions. I would also be interested to know if the illumination adjusts low enough in last shooting light to keep from washing out the target.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by High_Noon

Good questions. I would also be interested to know if the illumination adjusts low enough in last shooting light to keep from washing out the target.

Clark - JMHO - the Cronos illumination is better for low shooting than bright mid-daylight. I think I have the pre-model to this one - I have a full reticle with center portion that illuminates, the scope is FFP.

The reticle is black when not lit, so it should be functional in the daylight my needs - but mine does not light up bright like an Aimpoint, RMR, etc.

I like the levels of brightness at dusk, BUT that is in the back yard, and not range tested.

The reticle brightness setting is comparable my Vortex PST, and I have used that one quite bit in the field at last light. I can get a reticle pattern, without washing out the scene behind it.

YMMV

T
T
The Cronus BTR is daylight bright. If you have seen any the, Argos BTR or Midas BTR, this is brighter. I have yet to kill a battery. I've got one of these mounted on a 3 gun rifle as well. I go to matches prepared so I change my battery every 5 or 6 matches, each match lasting about 8 hours. On top of that, you've got the time I've spent at the range practicing and sighting in, and the occasional night I forget its on. I haven't bothered leaving one in until it's dead. In my opinion, I try and eliminate any possible problems before a match. If I'm driving 8 hours, shooting 300 rounds, and paying an entry fee, a $2 battery is worth it knowing it's one less thing to worry about. I wish I had a better answer, but I can only offer my experience!

Dustin
Athlon Optics Rep
1-855-913-5678
T
T
I've seen the old cronus 1-6, never owned one. The new Cronus BTR 1-6 is definitely brighter.

Dustin
Athlon Optics Rep
1-855-913-5678
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thunderrun: Thanks. Based upon your experience, I'm happy to know that the battery life is considerably longer that I had been lead to believe from a few other reviews I read. I am also glad to know that the illuminated reticle is daylight bright. I'm liking what I have read about the Cronus so far. As a long-time user of the Duplex Reticle, I think the biggest hurdle for me will be the reticle subtension breaks or gaps of the Cronus. Do you have an comments regarding this style of reticle for hunting purposes?

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/20/18.

- Del Gue
T
T
Ignore the Christmas tree style reticle. Use it like a duplex. Here's the bonus scenario (maybe an extreme example, but for the sake of discussion, bare with me) You're shooting at an antelope 600ish yards out, wind sucks. You take the shot and see the round impact while looking through the scope. It hit low right if you were looking at the reticle, you see the round landed 5MOA down and 3 MOA right on the Christmas Tree. Use that same spot on the reticle for your follow-up shot.

Dustin
Athlon Optics Rep
1-855-913-5678
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 2,353 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,986
Posts18,499,852
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.