Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I shot one years ago that I'm pretty sure was rabid. I called the game warden and told him I suspected it was rabid & could bring it to him for testing. He told me that there hadn't been a case of rabies in my country in many years and he was SURE it wasn't rabies. Reading between the lines he didn't want to mess with it and didn't want it out that there had been a case of rabies in the country because it would make his job harder. I picked it up with a shovel & threw it on a brush pile and burned it.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Must be different where you live. No way is a single gun shot causing a problem in my neighborhood this close to July 4th.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My little dog was barking fiercely in the woods. I own 39 acres of N. Carolina mountain wilderness.
I went down to see, he had cornered a little raccoon, this was like a teen age coon maybe 8 pounds. The poor animal was sick as hell and was just sitting on his ass leaning against a bush. I'm sure my little dog had attacked and bitten the coon.

I grabbed up my doggie and took him into the house gave him a quick bath, a shower in the kitchen sink to wash off any coon rabies saliva.
Told the girlfriend to haul ass to the vet, even though the dog of course had had rabies shot already.

I got two big plastic garbage bags, and the Smith and Wesson, and went down and shot the poor raccoon, put him in a garbage bag, put that in a garbage bag, and took them down to the dumpster I didn't want to risk my little dog getting into that dead diseased animal.
Vet gave the dog a rabies update shot. Dog was fine, he figured he had shown the coon who the boss was.

On another occasion I was down in Atlanta in a rich neighborhood where the rich white folks live, Buckhead. It was a sunny Saturday morning about 10 am, suburban neighborhood. I saw a big raccoon in a yard, he was sprawling around, obviously sick as hell.
A 17 year old kid was standing there with a yard rake in his hand. I got out, and the kid's dad came out of the house he said he had just called 911 they were sending someone out.

Now, I was tempted to use the .38 on that coon but it is illegal to discharge a firearm there. About the time I shoot the coon, the cop car drives up, I am going to be in handcuffs for a visit to the Fulton County Jail.
No thanks. Looked like the kid with the rake, and dad, had the situation under control. Anyway, I would rather that kid get bitten, and go for a series of rabies shots, than for me to face felony firearms charges in Fulton County Georgia. No thanks.

I often think I was born 200 years too late, or, at least 60 years too late because I guarantee you if you showed up in that yard in 1958 and shot the coon, if the cop saw it he would thank me for saving him a bullet and that would be that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

"Momma used to beat 'em off with a broom."

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (1minute, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 16penny, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,538 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,844
Posts18,496,917
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.