Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
before the first shot has fired? Factory Browning X-Bolt, blue.

curious to know how you prep the barrel before ever firing a shot.

thanks in advance.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I look down the bore to make sure there's nothing except air inside.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Yup.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I usually drag a boresnake through it to make sure it's clean.

An armed member in a country is a citizen, an unarmed member is a subject.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I run some solvent through on a couple patches to get out any goo that isn't obvious.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yup, just make sure it's clean and ready to fire.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If I’m unsure of its potential I’ll push a patch through. If I’m confident it’s a barrel worth keeping, it gets DBC before a bullet ever travels down the bore.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I run some solvent through on a couple patches to get out any goo that isn't obvious.

^^^^ This

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
lol, thanks for the replies. yes, the do or don't do the DBC on a cherry tube was part of my wondering...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I shoot them before deciding to DBC, because with many of today's barrels (both custom and factory) it often isn't needed.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Owl
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

^^^^ This

This.

I shoot them before deciding to DBC, because with many of today's barrels (both custom and factory) it often isn't needed.

This.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Yes, me too.

In all my shooting and hunting since 1972, I've never 'broke in' any rifle/handgun ---- other than shooting them in the process of grouping, practice, and hunting. IMO 'brake in' is a waste of time, $$$, & components.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

That plus I will run a patch with solvent through it just to say I did...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I like to run some Wipeout foam through the bore to ensure no meatal fouling,etc. I then spray or run a soaked patch with EZ-Ox and let dry overnight. Next day I run a boresnake through it. I will go ahead and workup loads, etc and just run a boresnake damp with EZOx a couple times between different powders/loads. I do not, however, shoot in any benchrest or competition, my rifles are hunting rifles. I have done the whole barrel breakin dilly before, but truthfully, saw nothing better than the EZ-Ox method...for me.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Run a clean patch through.

Theory being to get any tiny fragments that might remain from tooling. Might have my head up my butt on that

Can’t see doing any of the detailed break in procedures ....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
on a good tube, I still shoot a couple and clean, and build up the group size a bit. Its generally when I'm already starting to test ammo anyway so no big deal.

IMHO the barrels I've "broken in" have fouled less than those not. It really doesn't take that much extra time either.

That said on the 257 wtby factory gun, I never had time, didn't have time to DBC either, its been zero'd and shot and that means maybe 40 rounds total over the years, and never cleaned.... so far so good, hovering at moa or so...

DBC I can't find hurting any tube but like John says, it may not be needed in some, though I tend to eventually put it in for nothing else RE corrosion help...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I run a patch with JB down the bore and with factory rifles that have not been test shot almost always some metal will come out. Sometimes really big machining chunks.

To break in or "season" a barrel may be better accomplished by pouring really good home made BBQ sauce down the bore. I think a Chipotle pepper sauce would lightly take the burrs off the rifling and help improve the throat and the amount of more BBQ'ing needed in the future.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Wipeout then shoot like hell.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495

DBC I can't find hurting any tube but like John says, it may not be needed in some, though I tend to eventually put it in for nothing else RE corrosion help...

Yep, that’s why all my keeper tubes get DBC, whether they’re foulers or not.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
How many rounds do people put through a new barrel before cleaning for the first time?

I have to fireform 50 .257 Roberts AI cases soon. Do I shoot all 50 at once or 25, clean, 25 and clean again? I know Mule Deer has written to shoot a new barrel until accuracy diminishes then clean, but as I'm just fireforming would you guys put 50 rounds through a new barrel?

It's easy to say yes to someone else but when it's your own barrel (and $$$) it makes you a bit more cautious.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (160user, 007FJ, 204guy, 1936M71, 222ND, 1lessdog, 55 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,073
Posts18,482,653
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.