Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 25 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 24 25
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Goodness, this drop test business...

I've drop tested my Toric many times - its what happens when you take your rifle away from the key-board and into the hills. I hunt deer at least once a fortnight in rugged country (as I've said before) and my Toric gets nudges and vibrations and bashes every time. Its never in a case or bag. This has demonstrated to me that the Tract is as good as any scope I have had during my 55 years of recreational and commercial hunting, and better than many.

Its likely that my Toric has hunted in rugged conditions as much as any Tract 'scope has (14 deer shot this year). To me, that's the acid test.

Keyboard conjecture from people who have never owned one and are unlikely to means nothing to me.

Im not saying that they are the best, or that they last forever. But the Tract Toric sure is "good enough" at this stage and if it's reliability is as good as the glass they will soon become an established brand.

Last edited by NZSika; 06/23/18.
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I think it’s the fact that it’s still an expensive scope and for that price or just a little more there are established brands already. I’m still thinking of getting a TRACT TORIC because I like to see and compare. I agree that they need some more reticle choices and some other smaller power models and maybe some fixed power models that are light weight and sleek low profile design and they would get more attention from more people. Leupold has been established brand forever and I’ve read post after post of people having their Leupold not tracking worth a crap and losing zero and repeated returns to get repaired only to have problem still not fixed or it going bad again and those scopes weren’t dropped or thrown around.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by sidepass
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Bhoges,
Probably a stupid question, but what is your background/qualifications that makes you uniquely qualified to represent/test/review rifle optics.
If this has been covered or is a known quantity, please forgive me for asking. Just want to know who's advice I'm considering.

Jackmountain what are your qualifications for asking a stupid fffucking question like that?

Simply wondering bhoges background, my apologies If the question came off as facetious. Don't keep up with PRS or any of the other shooting sports, don't attend SHOT or have any industry connections etc...Was simply wondering if he is a competitor in the shooting sports, industry insider, LEO/mil, marketing executive..... Nice to know someone's background when reading reviews and opinions on a farly new product line

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by sidepass
Bhoges,
Probably a stupid question, but what is your background/qualifications that makes you uniquely qualified to represent/test/review rifle optics.
If this has been covered or is a known quantity, please forgive me for asking. Just want to know who's advice I'm considering.

Jackmountain what are your qualifications for asking a stupid fffucking question like that?

Simply wondering bhoges background, my apologies If the question came off as facetious. Don't keep up with PRS or any of the other shooting sports, don't attend SHOT or have any industry connections etc...Was simply wondering if he is a competitor in the shooting sports, industry insider, LEO/mil, marketing executive..... Nice to know someone's background when reading reviews and opinions on a farly new product line

He has already posted what he does for a living, he said he was a firearms examiner for a police department.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I should know better than diving into this thread, but here's my observations.

We know that a bomb proof and accurately tracking "military grade" scope does not just happen, it is developed, manufactured, and tested with such as a priority. It comes at a cost; weight and $$$$. And even so, some still do not make the grade.

I see nothing that leads me to believe that Tract develops, manufactures, and tests their scopes to theses standards. As a matter of fact, their rep, bhoges, specifically says they don't.
People have to realize there is a big difference between military grade optics and hunting grades.

So what is there to argue about? The question is not whether or not tract is "military grade". It clearly is not, and again, it does not happen by accident. Do you need/want a "military grade" scope? Thats up to the individual. Those of us who have experienced failures tend to lean more towards yes, we want "military grade". Those who haven't, don't.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ctsmith

We know that a bomb proof and accurately tracking "military grade" scope does not just happen, it is developed, manufactured, and tested with such as a priority. It comes at a cost; weight and $$$$. And even so, some still do no make the grade.

One of the interesting things that Form has mentioned is NF's testing. If I understand correctly, EVERY NF scope (non-SHV?) is tested before it leaves, which is where the NF sticker comes in. The number of "problem" scopes that get to the public may be reduced by this testing. Even over-building the scopes for ruggedness, I'm curious how many issues they catch doing this?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

We know that a bomb proof and accurately tracking "military grade" scope does not just happen, it is developed, manufactured, and tested with such as a priority. It comes at a cost; weight and $$$$. And even so, some still do no make the grade.

One of the interesting things that Form has mentioned is NF's testing. If I understand correctly, EVERY NF scope (non-SHV?) is tested before it leaves, which is where the NF sticker comes in. The number of "problem" scopes that get to the public may be reduced by this testing. Even over-building the scopes for ruggedness, I'm curious how many issues they catch doing this?

Failure rate would be good info.

John (Hondo64D) called NF last week and talked to them at length. They subject the SHV's to the same testing, which led to his purchase of a big SHV.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Interesting that the SHV's are subjected to the same testing. Thanks for posting that.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I wanteda barn gun, so I got an especially cheap Rem 783 in 223 for less than 300$ with a toy scope on it. Discarded it and put one of the utterly useless "Response" 2.5-10 scopes on it. This was done just to see if the scope was worth the bucks, and the rifle as one i didnt care about scratching it. It gets tossed in the truck, dogs have knocked it down and it has been handled with little respect since I got it last year. Sighting in was done without any special effort, the optics are quite respectable even compared with Meostars, dialing seems to follow the designated specs and it has held zero. Any dialing on turrets seems to be spot on. The vermin zapper will pop a 4" steel plate virtually 100% at 300M.
I find the styling a bit clunky, but the glass is all I could ask for compared to some more pricey scopes. The mechanics to date have been reliable as far as i have used them. I have not run the little thing thru any scientifically valid testing but the seat of my pants says it was money reasonably spent. So here we have one scope selected at random that performs as advertised that is counterpoised against one that has failed miserably. My only conclusion is that mine was truly random and paid for by me alone and as such I am satisfied.
My qualifications are nebulous. I have been a BR shooter for over 30 years, successful at times. I have broken a handful of scopes a few respected names and Iv probably fired well over 100K rounds from 22rf to 375 family.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Prs shooters are sponsored. They also have specific shooting needs that don't fit very close to hunting. Many prs would probably use something else. If they were choosing. I bet a lot less vortex would be used

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Failure rate would be good info.

John (Hondo64D) called NF last week and talked to them at length. They subject the SHV's to the same testing, which led to his purchase of a big SHV.

Thanks for sharing the info.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
ctsmith,

In a limited number of tests, with my night-time optics chart test I have no been able to find any difference between the SHV and NSX scopes.

In this test, a cope is set on 6x and then aimed at a chart 25 yards away, illuminated with a 100-watt incandescent bulb, also 25 yards from the chart. (I bought a batch of the same bulbs several years ago, so keep the test consistent.) The with black-and-white lines that vary from 1" to 1/16" inch thick, and scopes are rated by the thinnest line that can be seen. If the line can be very clearly seen, the rating's given a + sign.

Average modern multi-coated scopes rate a 6, the 1/4" line . Above average is 7 (3/16"), and I've yet to test any scope yet that rates higher than 8 (1/8"). So far, both SHV's and NSX's have rated 7+.

As other examples, several Swarovski Z3's and the original Zeiss Conquests rated 7's, while more expensive Swarovski and Zeiss scopes rate 8's.

In the past few years, far more scopes rate 7-8 than they did when I first started using the chart-test over a decade ago. In fact, the scope has to be pretty inexpensive to rate a 6, and even some scope retailing for less than $300 rate 7's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
You are randomly selecting a scope every time you buy one and the retailer randomly picks one off the shelf. Not sure what point you’re trying to make. If a model of scope has a failure rate of 1 in 1000 over the entire population, and you randomly select a sample of 30 test scopes, chances are high that you will see zero failures in those tests.

The point I'm trying to make is just because the first scope you pick is a dud doesn't mean you can infer that that scope and/or scope manufacturer is going to have a higher failure rate on their scopes than a manufacturer that did not yield a dud on the first scope you grab. As you note, they are all random picks, and as such each scope, dud or not, has an equal chance of being selected. If you get a dud on the first pick, it is more than likely bad luck rather than the manufacturer's bad product. Now, if a lot of people are getting duds (which according to folks who are running the Tract Optics, is not the case) on the first random selection then you have an argument for poor manufacturing/quality and poor QC.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
You are randomly selecting a scope every time you buy one and the retailer randomly picks one off the shelf. Not sure what point you’re trying to make. If a model of scope has a failure rate of 1 in 1000 over the entire population, and you randomly select a sample of 30 test scopes, chances are high that you will see zero failures in those tests.

The point I'm trying to make is just because the first scope you pick is a dud doesn't mean you can infer that that scope and/or scope manufacturer is going to have a higher failure rate on their scopes than a manufacturer that did not yield a dud on the first scope you grab. As you note, they are all random picks, and as such each scope, dud or not, has an equal chance of being selected. If you get a dud on the first pick, it is more than likely bad luck rather than the manufacturer's bad product. Now, if a lot of people are getting duds (which according to folks who are running the Tract Optics, is not the case) on the first random selection then you have an argument for poor manufacturing/quality and poor QC.

This is my point. Every single “dud” you test is statistically meaningful, and the more duds you have, the more statistically meaningful they become. Not enough legitimate, 3rd-party testing of Tract scopes has taken place yet to have any statistically meaningful information about their correct functioning and longevity.

I’d disagree about a single dud being more likely bad luck than indicative of the failure rate of the product. That depends on the failure rate of the population of the product. If the failure rate is 50%, then you getting a single failure is not just a case of bad luck, but is indicative of the probability of getting a dud. In that case, you are as likely to get a dud as a good scope. But if the failure rate is 1 in 1,000,000, then getting a dud is indeed a case of very bad luck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rogn
I wanteda barn gun, so I got an especially cheap Rem 783 in 223 for less than 300$ with a toy scope on it. Discarded it and put one of the utterly useless "Response" 2.5-10 scopes on it. This was done just to see if the scope was worth the bucks, and the rifle as one i didnt care about scratching it. It gets tossed in the truck, dogs have knocked it down and it has been handled with little respect since I got it last year. Sighting in was done without any special effort, the optics are quite respectable even compared with Meostars, dialing seems to follow the designated specs and it has held zero. Any dialing on turrets seems to be spot on. The vermin zapper will pop a 4" steel plate virtually 100% at 300M.
I find the styling a bit clunky, but the glass is all I could ask for compared to some more pricey scopes. The mechanics to date have been reliable as far as i have used them. I have not run the little thing thru any scientifically valid testing but the seat of my pants says it was money reasonably spent. So here we have one scope selected at random that performs as advertised that is counterpoised against one that has failed miserably. My only conclusion is that mine was truly random and paid for by me alone and as such I am satisfied.
My qualifications are nebulous. I have been a BR shooter for over 30 years, successful at times. I have broken a handful of scopes a few respected names and Iv probably fired well over 100K rounds from 22rf to 375 family.

Most owners of scopes that don’t function correctly have little or no knowledge that their scope is imperfect. It’s not something you can reliably determine with a gut feeling. Until you put your scope up to a thorough tracking test and monitor it over heavy use, you really don’t know how well it mechanically functions. And while not directed at you personally, a 4 MOA box test that I see so often says very little about the erector’s mechanics.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Prs shooters are sponsored. They also have specific shooting needs that don't fit very close to hunting. Many prs would probably use something else. If they were choosing. I bet a lot less vortex would be used

By and large, this is untrue. Most PRS shooters are not sponsored, and the shooting actually does cross over to hunting quite well.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It is quite obvious that no matter what bhoges, MD, anyone who has experience (actual use), or evenTract themselves says or could say about this new line of scopes (and binos) will be half way satisfied with anything posted. It will be picked, nitpicked, and raked over the coals to death, quite obviously. We'll keep using the one I have to smack steel, hogs, and mule deer.

Last edited by JGRaider; 06/23/18.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
This is quite interesting and a little entertaining.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

This is my point. Every single “dud” you test is statistically meaningful, and the more duds you have, the more statistically meaningful they become. Not enough legitimate, 3rd-party testing of Tract scopes has taken place yet to have any statistically meaningful information about their correct functioning and longevity.

I’d disagree about a single dud being more likely bad luck than indicative of the failure rate of the product. That depends on the failure rate of the population of the product. If the failure rate is 50%, then you getting a single failure is not just a case of bad luck, but is indicative of the probability of getting a dud. In that case, you are as likely to get a dud as a good scope. But if the failure rate is 1 in 1,000,000, then getting a dud is indeed a case of very bad luck.

Send me a scope and I will pass it around to 5 or 6 of my friends and when we are done I'll send it to Form to be tested. Seriously I am beginning to wonder why you leave so many variables out of the mathematical equation........not to mention, your numbers are far from reality or real world results to begin with.

Form himself said his Test was invalid at best. I'm surprised he even waisted his time doing the test knowing the scope had been God knows where and who knows what was done. Hell, maybe I had the scope and I performed my throw it at the freight train test and it didn't pass.

Do you seriously think Forms test had any degree of validity to it given the previous history of the scope in question??? Form stated as a matter of fact that his test had no validity whatsoever and I take his word at that.

You seem to be trying to give validity to a test that the expert you keep referring to said had zero validity. The argument doesn't seem logical nor the course of wisdom.

You used to make some of the most logical arguments around here......that is until you decided the smear and complain crowd had something to offer you and thus decided to follow them around in support of ill ideology.

Bad Association spoils useful habits

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 06/23/18.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
It is quite obvious that no matter what bhoges, MD, anyone who has experience (actual use), or evenTract themselves says or could say about this new line of scopes (and binos) will be half way satisfied with anything posted. It will be picked, nitpicked, and raked over the coals to death, quite obviously. We'll keep using the one I have to smack steel, hogs, and mule deer.

Exactly!

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Page 12 of 25 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,482 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,308
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.