Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 25 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 24 25
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JGRaider
My testing involves, first of all, me personally purchasing the scope. Yes, I run a box/tracking test, then proceed to load workup, and verifying stuff out to 600 yds (far as my range goes). Then I proceed to kill the ever lovin' schittt outa hogs....hundreds of them per year with said scope and various bullets. Throw in about 20 cull whitetail does a year, a whitetail and muley buck or two, another 5-10 aoudad culls, and that would be the extent of my scope testing. I'd guess (and it's purely a guess) that only 10% of this shooting required dialing.

In 46 years of doing this, I've had only one scope, a Swaro A 3-10x42 go tits up while actually shooting at an animal, which happened to be a big 190" mule deer buck. Shot the poor thing to pieces. I had one other scope, a leupy VX3 that quit tracking so I sent it back, they fixed it and installed a B&C reticle, and all is well again after a couple of years of "testing". Swaro fixed that scope and I sold it.

I don't give a flying crap about probabilities, forumulas, extrapolating failures, or any other crap like that. I test gear like I test gear, described above. Once again, the Toric is performing very well.

Feel free to tell me what's wrong with my testing procedure.

None of my physical scope failures happened while doing statistical analysis either.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guys, As I am sure you can totally understand I have nothing to gain in this thread as Tract is an independent, direct to consumer brand. I have no opinion as I have never even seen one of their optics.

What I can tell you is that Brian, who is their new "voice of Tract optics here on the Campfire", is a long time friend of mine who is extremely qualified to comment on guns and optics. He is very knowledgeable and you can feel safe listening to what he has to say.

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
My testing involves, first of all, me personally purchasing the scope. Yes, I run a box/tracking test, then proceed to load workup, and verifying stuff out to 600 yds (far as my range goes). Then I proceed to kill the ever lovin' schittt outa hogs....hundreds of them per year with said scope and various bullets. Throw in about 20 cull whitetail does a year, a whitetail and muley buck or two, another 5-10 aoudad culls, and that would be the extent of my scope testing. I'd guess (and it's purely a guess) that only 10% of this shooting required dialing.

In 46 years of doing this, I've had only one scope, a Swaro A 3-10x42 go tits up while actually shooting at an animal, which happened to be a big 190" mule deer buck. Shot the poor thing to pieces. I had one other scope, a leupy VX3 that quit tracking so I sent it back, they fixed it and installed a B&C reticle, and all is well again after a couple of years of "testing". Swaro fixed that scope and I sold it.

I don't give a flying crap about probabilities, forumulas, extrapolating failures, or any other crap like that. I test gear like I test gear, described above. Once again, the Toric is performing very well.

Feel free to tell me what's wrong with my testing procedure.

None of my physical scope failures happened while doing statistical analysis either.

That might be a new one to use on the wife: "Honey, I'll be gone for the next few days in the mountains doing statistical analysis. It's extremely involved and time consuming, and I know you'd be bored out of your mind, so I'll soldier this one alone. Now, where did I put my rum....?"

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'm working on getting a scope for testing. I just started 2 weeks ago. From day one certain people have relentlessly attacked Tract. I can't do this overnight. The whole focus on this blog was a test from last year. I don't have the scope to examine it for defects. I'd like to do that first. These things take time. There are people here who are interested in Tract and are happy with theirs. At the same time individuals who don't own one or never plan on purchasing are just here to bash Tract and myself. Thats fine I'm used to the abuse after 17 years on the street. Let it go and move on to another forum. Maybe get out and shoot a little more instead of posting all the time. I'm not Doug. I'm just a dumb cop who isn't p.c. Tough to be neutral when others aren't.

Last edited by bhoges; 06/24/18.

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

If you give one a try, please use the crap out of it and report back. I’m sure there are several people here that would appreciate another reliable data point.

I'm doubtful that many would take note if it was a positive report. If it was a negative report I'm quite certain that all would consider it gospel.

Not all...

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bhoges
I'm working on getting a scope for testing. I just started 2 weeks ago. From day one certain people have relentlessly attacked Tract. I can't do this overnight. The whole focus on this blog was a test from last year. I don't have the scope to examine it for defects. I'd like to do that first. These things take time. There are people here who are interested in Tract and are happy with theirs. At the same time individuals who don't own one or never plan on purchasing are just here to bash Tract and myself. Thats fine I'm used to the abuse after 17 years on the street. Let it go and move on to another forum. Maybe get out and shoot a little more instead of posting all the time. I'm not Doug. I'm just a dumb cop who isn't p.c. Tough to be neutral when others aren't.

Really, that’s your take away?

I can’t tell you how disappointed I am to read this post. I hope the Jon’s have a chance to read this thread. What a wasted opportunity.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I can’t tell you how disappointed I am to read this post. I hope the Jon’s have a chance to read this thread. What a wasted opportunity.

Really? You're surprised by bhoges' take away from his raucous welcome to the board? Really!? What else could have possibly been his take away? People demanding immediate testing and results. People slinging negative comments about bhoges because Trevor was a dip. People trashing Tract Optics in general with no real basis for it. I got the same impression bhoges got.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

Really? You're surprised by bhoges' take away from his raucous welcome to the board? Really!? What else could have possibly been his take away? People demanding immediate testing and results. People slinging negative comments about bhoges because Trevor was a dip. People trashing Tract Optics in general with no real basis for it. I got the same impression bhoges got.

Exactly my take on the subject.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Your take away is quite amazing fir all the wrong reasons.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There have been lots of really charitable posts—generous on so many levels, in this and previous Tract threads. Not seeing that is tragic. None of these people owe Tract or Trevor or Brian Hoges anything. If it were me and my company, I’d be focused on cherishing all the great stuff folks have brought to these threads, not pissing and moaning about what they haven’t. Form didn’t need to put together that photo essay. His efforts weren’t driven by malice. It wasn’t about being evocative. It was about passion. These boards are full of enthusiasts, people who dig this stuff.

IC B3

B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have no issue with Form in the least. I just wish he used a Nighforce mount on the Tract when he tested it like the other scope. The drop test is the one I have an issue with. I'm looking forward to checking the scopes in question myself.

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
It is quite obvious that no matter what bhoges, MD, anyone who has experience (actual use), or evenTract themselves says or could say about this new line of scopes (and binos) will be half way satisfied with anything posted. It will be picked, nitpicked, and raked over the coals to death, quite obviously. We'll keep using the one I have to smack steel, hogs, and mule deer.

Yup. Kinda amazing the amount of hard data wanted for a $700 purchase. Wonder if they insisted on that much info on their wives before they married them. Maybe Form would be willing to put prospective brides through their paces too.

You bring up a good point. I assume you met you wife and had a shotgun wedding the next day? Some guys, like myself, are sticklers and wanted to get some “hard data” by dating their prospective wives for 6, 12, or even 24 whole months before committing.

ctsmith was absolutely right when he said, essentially, that guys who havent’t experienced many scope failures may not worry about the track record of their chosen scope models so much. I’ve personally lost enough hair, and spend enough time, frustration, and money diagnosing and dealing with scope failures, that these days I stick with using scopes that I know are going to work properly and keep on ticking, based on their historical mechanical integrity and failure rate. It’s not just the $700 that I’m gambling, it’s also the cost of ammo and the time invested that I lose when working with faulty gear. It’s the same reason that I have a used car thoroughly inspected before buying- I want to do my due diligence before buying, to make sure I’m not getting into something that will only cause me headaches down the road. When Daewoo came out with their line of cars, some people looked at the spec sheet and jumped on board, while others waited for the Consumer Reports and reliability feedback to come out before taking a gamble. This is no different.

Actually, the current one was "tested" for a year and a half before the "purchase" was finalized, thanks for asking.

As for scopes, I had enough info gleaned from reviews by reliable folks to pique my interest in a Tract, and the combination of a good sale and a nice conversation with Jon Lacorte sealed the deal. My Tekoa's been on two rifles so far and has performed perfectly. The glass seems as good as any I've used and the reticle is a great design for hunting. I'm not crazy about the looks and it's a little long and heavy for a hunting scope. All things considered, the risk I took was worth taking, based on the historical failures of other hunting scopes in this price range ( I specifically exclude SWFAs from that category, because the reticle and form factor are unsuitable for my hunting use, no matter what others think), and on my experience chasing zeros on other hunting scopes, mostly Leupolds, for decades. I don't know how many scopes I'll be buying in the future, but if one of the Japanese Tracts fits my requirements, it'll be considered along with any others that do the same, and I'll have personal experience to base that consideration on. Don't care what others buy or why, but so far I have no reason to recommend against buying one of these.

Never went down the Daewoo road, but I could tell you a thing or two (none of it good) about Toyotas, Subarus, and at least one Ford!

What fresh Hell is this?
B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Just talking with Jon about something that you might find interesting. He says there have been pretty much zero complaints with customers that have purchased scopes. Thats says something.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
There have been lots of really charitable posts—generous on so many levels, in this and previous Tract threads. Not seeing that is tragic. None of these people owe Tract or Trevor or Brian Hoges anything. If it were me and my company, I’d be focused on cherishing all the great stuff folks have brought to these threads, not pissing and moaning about what they haven’t. Form didn’t need to put together that photo essay. His efforts weren’t driven by malice. It wasn’t about being evocative. It was about passion. These boards are full of enthusiasts, people who dig this stuff.

There have also been some aggressively argumentative posts and posts insisting that Brian begin testing immediately. One bad egg ruins the omelet, one bad apple ruins the bunch. Stick, when he was allowed to post in the optics forum was his usual blatant, nasty, insulting self. Thankfully Brian hasn't had to deal with him. But don't kid yourself; it ain't been all sunshine and roses with regard to posts directed at Brian or Tract. There have been some mean, insulting posts directed their way.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It is quite obvious that no matter what bhoges, MD, anyone who has experience (actual use), or evenTract themselves says or could say about this new line of scopes (and binos) will be half way satisfied with anything posted. It will be picked, nitpicked, and raked over the coals to death, quite obviously. We'll keep using the one I have to smack steel, hogs, and mule deer.

Yup. Kinda amazing the amount of hard data wanted for a $700 purchase. Wonder if they insisted on that much info on their wives before they married them. Maybe Form would be willing to put prospective brides through their paces too.

You bring up a good point. I assume you met you wife and had a shotgun wedding the next day? Some guys, like myself, are sticklers and wanted to get some “hard data” by dating their prospective wives for 6, 12, or even 24 whole months before committing.

ctsmith was absolutely right when he said, essentially, that guys who havent’t experienced many scope failures may not worry about the track record of their chosen scope models so much. I’ve personally lost enough hair, and spend enough time, frustration, and money diagnosing and dealing with scope failures, that these days I stick with using scopes that I know are going to work properly and keep on ticking, based on their historical mechanical integrity and failure rate. It’s not just the $700 that I’m gambling, it’s also the cost of ammo and the time invested that I lose when working with faulty gear. It’s the same reason that I have a used car thoroughly inspected before buying- I want to do my due diligence before buying, to make sure I’m not getting into something that will only cause me headaches down the road. When Daewoo came out with their line of cars, some people looked at the spec sheet and jumped on board, while others waited for the Consumer Reports and reliability feedback to come out before taking a gamble. This is no different.

Actually, the current one was "tested" for a year and a half before the "purchase" was finalized, thanks for asking.

As for scopes, I had enough info gleaned from reviews by reliable folks to pique my interest in a Tract, and the combination of a good sale and a nice conversation with Jon Lacorte sealed the deal. My Tekoa's been on two rifles so far and has performed perfectly. The glass seems as good as any I've used and the reticle is a great design for hunting. I'm not crazy about the looks and it's a little long and heavy for a hunting scope. All things considered, the risk I took was worth taking, based on the historical failures of other hunting scopes in this price range ( I specifically exclude SWFAs from that category, because the reticle and form factor are unsuitable for my hunting use, no matter what others think), and on my experience chasing zeros on other hunting scopes, mostly Leupolds, for decades. I don't know how many scopes I'll be buying in the future, but if one of the Japanese Tracts fits my requirements, it'll be considered along with any others that do the same, and I'll have personal experience to base that consideration on. Don't care what others buy or why, but so far I have no reason to recommend against buying one of these.

Never went down the Daewoo road, but I could tell you a thing or two (none of it good) about Toyotas, Subarus, and at least one Ford!

That’s fair enough. So apparently you saw the value in making sure your lady was going to work out for you, as much as possible, before marrying her.

I don’t see any hunting scope offerings that interest me, but I’m tempted to give a 30mm Toric a whirl, and thoroughly test it myself, if it wasn’t for the meager 20MRAD of total elevation travel. That’s a deal breaker for me.

Personally I think there are over-zealous people on both sides of this conversation. Critics who write off Tract as a company because of Trevor's actions, aren’t giving the business a fair shake. Likewise, the few guys who have tried one Tract scope, with what I consider minimal mechanical testing, saying or implying that Tract scopes are good to go, are giving them too much credit based on too short of a track record.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Just talking with Jon about something that you might find interesting. He says there have been pretty much zero complaints with customers that have purchased scopes. Thats says something.

I’m sure the executives of Leupold would say the same thing. No matter how much integrity a business owner has, he will always be seen as biased regarding his own company and products.

Never-the-less, that’s a good sign. We’ll see if he can say the same thing once his scopes go mainstream, if that ever happens.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

There have also been some aggressively argumentative posts and posts insisting that Brian begin testing immediately.

Maybe I missed it, but I have not seen this. What I have seen is a general attitude of people thinking that Brian should reserve judgment until thorough testing can be done.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I see how some people get to 10 -20-30 thousand posts now.Good god get a ffucking life.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sidepass
I see how some people get to 10 -20-30 thousand posts now.Good god get a ffucking life.

I assume you're talking to me, in a passive aggressive way.

I don't know about you, but in the last few weeks I've put about 1300 CF rounds and about 1000 RF rounds downrange, competed in two PRS matches, gone to work, played with my kids, scouted my mountain hunting spots for Bighorn Sheep, and I took my 4 kids and my loving wife to church today. How's that for a life?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Maybe I missed it, but I have not seen this. What I have seen is a general attitude of people thinking that Brian should reserve judgment until thorough testing can be done.

I should have been clearer. I included the Trevor era. He was bashed and abused by a few...needlessly so. Anyone, including me, can and should make their point without insulting the person or the product. Pointing out certain features, such as the Tract you were looking at that only had 20MRAD of elevation adjustment is helpful to the shooters here and to Tract. I'm not too alarmed by that, but I can agree that some of you guys are shooting farther than that would get you, so it is a deal breaker for you. I don't see that as a negative post. You simply made one of your parameters known. One Alaskan I know of would have then followed that with telling Trevor, or Brian, what a goat **** the Tract scope is. The second part of that (goat ****) is not a wanted or needed addition to the on-going conversation.

Page 15 of 25 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (22250rem, 1badf350, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,218 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,364
Posts18,506,392
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.