Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Furadan over some cracked corn. Used to be hell on them and ghetto chickens.

To bad it's been banned

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
Originally Posted by rost495
The amount of posts, pointing out he moved to the country is ridiculous. He knows that, admitted it and is asking for help.

There are enough azzholes in the country as it is. The shame is they keep it up.

I thank those folks that gave advice.

So? We are telling him to move back to where he came from. Obviously, he did not do his homework and made a poor decision. The fact that the geese are not even migratory flocks only compounds his ignorance. Go back to suburbia or wherever.

What do you mean "we"?
You're the only one giving ridiculous advice.
It's obvious you've never been around a resident flock of geese to see the destruction cause and mess they make.

To the OP, if you can show they are "damaging" your property you can apply for a depredation permit that will allow you to legally kill them any time you want.
Contact the Federal F&WS for details.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In downtown Pittsburgh at the Confluence Park where the two rivers come together to form the Ohio the Park Cops use whiz-bang shotgun (??) shells to put geese to flight every time they show up.Cop I spoke to said they get the message quick. Before that they would get a hundred and lawns covered in goose crap.

Famous last words I know but I am unaware of specific mammal diseases or parasites transmitted by birds, what their droppings will do is over-fertilize your pond, turning it green with algae an resulting in the usual odors and fish deaths when all that algae begins to die.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Well, for now I'd be getting ready for goose season this fall, and put a big dent in them.

A coyote cutout decoy will keep them pretty scared for awhile, if you keep moving it around every day to a new spot.

You really need to train your dog(s) to chase them off for you during the early spring when they are picking nesting locations.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
A surplus of waterfowl can lead to bacterial infections.

Yep. sounds like you need to implement a discrete bird flu abatement program on your property.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a feeling that the flock will contract RWS 48 disease come the fall. Only one neighbor, and they won't care if the numbers decrease (I'm sure they'd help actually).

The only way they got to nest in the first place is there is a small island in the middle of the pond. I may adopt a scorched earth policy on it this fall.

"In the end God will not look you over for medals, degrees, or diplomas...but for scars."
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I live on a decent sized creek so ducks and geese are common. My german shorthair, a breed that isn't very tough as dogs go, runs them out of the yard no problem. Even a feisty goose won't put up with a dog for long and they remember from year to year. In spite of his best efforts my dog has never caught one so no drama.

Goose crap is barely held together and a garden hose washes it into the grass almost instantly - much easier than trying to pick it up.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
A surplus of progressives can lead to bacterial infections.
duh?
wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I've decided to make an effort to train my dogs to chase them off. Like I said earlier, they are hell on squirrels but I don't think they know what to do with the geese...yet.

"In the end God will not look you over for medals, degrees, or diplomas...but for scars."
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by SurlyBob
Thanks for the replies. When the season rolls around and they are still here the freezer gets stocked.

I can assist. Can you feed them rice, wheat or corn for a couple weeks before harvest? smile

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have a feeling that the flock will contract RWS 48 disease come the fall. Only one neighbor, and they won't care if the numbers decrease (I'm sure they'd help actually).

Hunted geese are not dumb.

You will have one or two opportunities to make it right before they pattern behavior...

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Thanks for the replies. When the season rolls around and they are still here the freezer gets stocked.

I can assist. Can you feed them rice, wheat or corn for a couple weeks before harvest? smile

As a matter of fact I can, I just need to know what to feed them. Can geese digest corn, etc?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Plenty of ways to cook geese.

And, you'd be surprised how well a co2 bb or pellet gun can initiate goose group memory.

Found that out with the muscovies here.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by deflave
Smoke ‘em.

With an iguana gun laugh

If need be.... Grin.

Geese ain't waterfowl. They're flying carp.

They’re flying rats.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We had a bunch that took up residence in our association lake up north and we tolerated them for a year or two until people at the public beach were complaining of getting swimmers itch. I don't know what officially happened to the birds, but we have zero geese now. The corn oil on the eggs sure worked for the local cormorant reductions. Our city parks here with a goose problem just allowed dogs in the parks to help chase the geese. Locally they are going to just try to scare them, Madison however (a.k.a. bunny huger central) is going to have them "euthanized" which sounds better than "shoot the hell out of them". Goose sausage or goose burger it seems to me would be a better use of the resource.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
They say that geese are very good as jerky. Ed k

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I've decided to make an effort to train my dogs to chase them off. Like I said earlier, they are hell on squirrels but I don't think they know what to do with the geese...yet.

YMMV when it comes to getting dogs to chase large birds V. squirrels. My sister's dogs are all rodent chasing fiends, but only her little spare dog goes after geese, ducks, and turkeys. As far as we can tell it's kind of a random thing.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Seen a Buff goose wring a damn plug out of Beagle's ass

Fuggin beagle was squallin and running like a Mach-1 mustang 😄😄

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MadMooner needs to chime in here with his story of a goose, a Jack Russell and a city park.
It was exciting, and the goose quit cropping in the park, terminally.
Mooner managed to escape, unfined.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,269
Posts18,486,588
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.