Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Filson is good, but it might break the $300 limit

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
20 at night and 70 during the day calls for a hoodie at most. Maybe a flannel shirt with an UA type layer on the bottom.

Couldn't agree more Tom. People way overthink and overspend this.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haven't seen anybody mention L. L. Bean . I always liked their stuff, was always as-described and looked good. Still have one of their Warmup Jackets I wear as a truck jacket around town fall through spring on all but the coldest days. Would be nice below 40° but a little more than you're looking for I think. Look under their sweaters & sweatshirts category.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice inquiry. When living/hunting back east and up in the PNW, I bought a nice Filson wool jacket (Seattle) - very well made, looked great, tight wool, warm even when wet. Got it big enough that I could wear a warm shirt under it and, when Gore Tex arrived, got a simple topper.

So, when a jacket was needed, bottom layer would be a LS tee or undershirt with Filson over that. Added a warm (maybe light down) shirt under the jacket when needed. GoreTex added when needed. This worked great for me, especially up in Washington.

Then - I came back to the SW, and camo became more popular. Have not work that Filson hunting for quite a while. But, I like it.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mrmarklin
Filson makes great all weather gear. Give their product line a look.

Good advice^^^^^^^^

I layer up with wool......wool shirt......wool vest.....wool jacket......

I've had one of these for about 20yrs.......highly recommend....

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/111758?page=mens-maine-guide-zip-front-jac-shirt-plaid

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by Terryk
I agree with the light weight wool. I usually use a first layer of UA, then wool. If you need more, just a shell on top to keep the wind out.

This is probably the way I will end up going.

I'm referring to 100% merino wool, soft and fine enough that you can wear it next to your skin as the first layer. It's a game changer, it stays clean, is naturally odor resistant, etc.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my fave hunting jacket is a River's West Jacket. it's waterproof fleece, don't like it for raingear as when the fleece gets too wet it gets heavy and takes a long time to dry out. has a hood, thumbholes in the sleeves, two big magnetic chest pockets, slash hand pockets and two big mesh pockets inside that I can carry lunch, water bottle and misc. crap. Since it's waterproof, it's windproof. It's become my go to for moose season where we have similar temps. Pard has been eyeing it for awhile now, he knows a good garment when he sees one.

quick look and it seems it may be discontinued. Figures if I like something they quit making it. Can't recall the goofy name they tagged it with. But it works and works well.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

+1

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have found my old army field jacket to be able to cover just about any condition...been wearing it for close to 40 years..

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've got one of those Filson tin cloth jackets, the four pockets on front I'd let go for $75. Very good shape, size Large ...tan

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

IC B3

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kid0917
Filson is good, but it might break the $300 limit

....and I made the mistake of out growing one.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good stuff and made in the USA, Sixsite Gear.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Okay, if someone is going to go with a do-it-all coat for temperate conditions, then just get a lightly-insulated canvas coat with a hood such as those made by Carhartt, Cabelas Roughneck, or something from the farm store.

Buy a can of hydrophobic spray (durable water repellent) and treat the coat especially the shoulders and arms.

You'll be happy for a decade or so, at a cheaper price and better value than most of what has been suggested. And it will be tough enough to bust brush and work on a farm, break the wind and resist a bit of moisture, washable, and be comfortable to wear.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
I have found my old army field jacket to be able to cover just about any condition...been wearing it for close to 40 years..

51 or 65?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Good advice^^^^^^^^

I layer up with wool......wool shirt......wool vest.....wool jacket......

I've had one of these for about 20yrs.......highly recommend....

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/111758?page=mens-maine-guide-zip-front-jac-shirt-plaid

Originally Posted by kingston
I'm referring to 100% merino wool, soft and fine enough that you can wear it next to your skin as the first layer. It's a game changer, it stays clean, is naturally odor resistant, etc.

Great minds think alike I see.

I have merino long john base layers, Pendleton or Woolrich shirts, Filson vest, LL Bean jacket along with a bandana, vest and jacket from these folks:

https://asbellwool.com/

My jacket from Asbell is a zip up type as pullovers don't suit my style, when walking and starting to get warm I like to be able to unzip the front and let some heat out without having to remove pack and binocs to remove a pullover. I also requested Teresa make it without the standard hood as I wear a hat at all times and don't like my ears covered or hearing impaired until it gets REALLY cold, by then I have on a stocking cap/toque and scarf.

Wool hunting pants from Cabela's ( I think) from years ago also.

Good luck with your choices.

Geno

PS how come an outdoor/camping forum spell checker doesn't recognize "Pendelton", "Woolrich", or "FIlson" but recognizes "Cabela's". Are we THAT outdated? shocked

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco

I had one of these - Korean War surplus and came new in 1956 - it worked GREAT and wore it out hunting in AZ (early AM and evenings) and occasionally northward to ID/MT. Excellent pockets. It was a very tight fabric and so treated it with some waterproofing stuff - got some snow on it up north, but rarely rained on in AZ. Should have bought two - as I recall, it cost about $3 at a surplus store.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

220 members (260Remguy, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 2UP, 160user, 22 invisible), 1,937 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,327
Posts18,526,518
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.