Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by KDK
Originally Posted by 1minute
Another of my frustrations is the demise of manual trannies. I'll run my six-speed, 04 crew cab 350 until it literally dies. Had to put about $1,200 into the front end here at about 155 k. I need it mostly to get back and forth to the office.

That is the ONLY reason I would consider a Ram truck. You can still get a Cummins with a stick.

Why would one give away nearly 10% of their HP and nearly 20% of their Tq to have a manual transmission? 6.7L Cummins w/6-spd manual = 350HP/660Tq. 6.7L Cummins w/6-spd auto = 370HP/800Tq. New autos all offer a "manual" mode allowing you to pick and hold a gear. I like to fancy myself adept with a clutch, but, my 6.7L PSD Ford will ease into a start on slippery ground exponentially better than I've ever been capable of with any manual tranny. Couple that with a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear start at my fingertips and I find the manual hard to love save nostalgia. About the only thing a true manual will do that a newer auto won't is allow an over-rev downshift. I suppose there's a time an place for that but proper planning should negate the need.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by horse1
[ About the only thing a true manual will do that a newer auto won't is allow an over-rev downshift..

and being able to 'rock' them outta a hole/stuck. And coast/pull to start.....

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Two years ago I looked at all the brands, Ford, Chevy/GMC, and Ford. Had a Ram 2005 5.9 with a manual that blew a ring at 173,000miles. Was totally paid off years before and was in awesome shape. Lost $10,000 on the resale. Was pissed. Anyway, ended up with another Ram, even with the sour taste still in my mouth. The Chevy had the highest price with the lowest horsepower and torque ratings, plus has some dumb-a$$ looking box under the cab to house some emissions fluid. It was in a prime spot to be ripped off by a rock on a back mountain trail. The Ford had the highest power ratings and was about he same price as the Ram's, but the interior and quality seemed so low. Just felt cheap. Ended up with a 2016 Ram, 2500 6.7 with auto trans. For another $5000 I'd love to have gotten the Aisin transmission, but couldn't justify it. The truck is great quality wise, but I hate, hate, hate the initial acceleration lag. If you step on the throttle, it just sits there for 1-2 seconds deciding if it should go fast or not like you really didn't mean to step on the gas. I'm surprised some digital "Are your sure you want to go fast? Push here for yes" question doesn't come up on the info-screen. I don't like the electronic 4-wheel drive engagement - what happened to the simple pull lever? It's also a bitch to park in the city with the solid front axle. I think I'd have to do a 3-point turn to turn around in a football field. That being said, it tows like a dream. It absolutely does what it was designed to do, extremely well. I've towed with suburbans, jeeps, 1500's, Chevy's, Rams, gas, diesels, just about all the heavy duty trucks, and the truck I have now is by far the best. You can hook up 8500lbs and drive with one finger through the mountains and still have some umph left to pass Subaru's. Highly recommend for towing, highways, big roads. If you need a commuter/city truck, the Ram 2500 diesel is not it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
You can hook up 8500lbs and drive with one finger through the mountains and still have some umph left to pass Subaru's. Highly recommend for towing, highways, big roads. If you need a commuter/city truck, the Ram 2500 diesel is not it.

IME, you could say that about diesel powered HD pickups from any of the big 3. IMO, the only real difference between any of them long-term is which one has the best servicing dealer within a reasonable distance. Unless of course you want a de-rated engine with a manual transmission, then RAM is your huckleberry. Despite my lighthearted jab @ the derating for the manual, 350HP/660Tq is still a great plenty to do what needs done with a pickup.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a 2004 Dodge, front end rebuilt at 150,000 and a water pump. 170,000 miles now. I’m gonna buy another 3/4 ton in October. Best truck I’ve ever owned. It will pull my gooseneck plus tractor down the road 80 miles an hour with ease.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Two years ago I looked at all the brands, Ford, Chevy/GMC, and Ford. Had a Ram 2005 5.9 with a manual that blew a ring at 173,000miles. Was totally paid off years before and was in awesome shape. Lost $10,000 on the resale. Was pissed. Anyway, ended up with another Ram, even with the sour taste still in my mouth. The Chevy had the highest price with the lowest horsepower and torque ratings, plus has some dumb-a$$ looking box under the cab to house some emissions fluid. It was in a prime spot to be ripped off by a rock on a back mountain trail. The Ford had the highest power ratings and was about he same price as the Ram's, but the interior and quality seemed so low. Just felt cheap. Ended up with a 2016 Ram, 2500 6.7 with auto trans. For another $5000 I'd love to have gotten the Aisin transmission, but couldn't justify it. The truck is great quality wise, but I hate, hate, hate the initial acceleration lag. If you step on the throttle, it just sits there for 1-2 seconds deciding if it should go fast or not like you really didn't mean to step on the gas. I'm surprised some digital "Are your sure you want to go fast? Push here for yes" question doesn't come up on the info-screen. I don't like the electronic 4-wheel drive engagement - what happened to the simple pull lever? It's also a bitch to park in the city with the solid front axle. I think I'd have to do a 3-point turn to turn around in a football field. That being said, it tows like a dream. It absolutely does what it was designed to do, extremely well. I've towed with suburbans, jeeps, 1500's, Chevy's, Rams, gas, diesels, just about all the heavy duty trucks, and the truck I have now is by far the best. You can hook up 8500lbs and drive with one finger through the mountains and still have some umph left to pass Subaru's. Highly recommend for towing, highways, big roads. If you need a commuter/city truck, the Ram 2500 diesel is not it.

The "Dead pedal" issue is well known and documented. It can be minimized with software updates through the dealer, or eliminated with aftermarket programming. My '14 with aftermarket software is now more responsive than my '03 ever was......

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Badger - is there something specific to ask the dealer to do on the programming? I had mine in the shop (for one of the several recalls) and asked about the dead pedal. They looked at me like they had no clue what I was talking about and just said "that's the way it is, we can't do anything about that".

With all of the computerized crap on this truck, I got the extended warranty. As much as I HATE the dead pedal, I don't want to void my warranty with aftermarket programming.

Thanks!

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ryan, cumminsforum.com has a lot of info on this. Your dealer is likely unaware of the TSB's that address the dead pedal issue. Do a search on the 4th generation section of the forum and you'll find the info you need.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great, thanks for the help.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
MO2AZ,

Check out http://titanfueltanks.com/products/mid-ship-fuel-tanks for a larger replacement fuel tank on that super duty. We have put several of these in customers trucks and have been a great product every time. A nice thing about these tanks is they fit in the original hole under the bed and they use the factory fuel pump and sending unit, so if you ever have a sender go out on a trip you don't have to wait for some special part to get shipped in. I have also had to get replacement parts for an older Titan tank and the customer service from Titan was second to none. Highly recommended!!

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Lots of 2018’s on sale now!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have an 04 Dodge 3500 rear wheel drive, and the Cummins 5.9 straight six is a hoss and super smooth. ECM went out and was replaced under warranty. I think I remember replacing a front hub with a sealed wheel bearing once. And had the drive shaft rebuilt, which takes a press, because the carrier bearing went out.
And I replaced the very heavy starter, and a couple of batteries.
Also, have mostly worn out a slightly underrated floor jack. I think it has one wheel left on it now.
And it needs a front end alignment. Hopefully not the same rebuild issue as some of the other posters since this is rear wheel drive only. I was quoted $125 for the alignment.

Back to the engine. I have the six speed manual because the Allison was not available at the time. I had a 30k Reese Remove-a-ball gooseneck installed and have pulled 28,000 pounds, or maybe it was a little more, about 36k gross, with no problem. It’ll do 90 miles an hour up hill with the max rated 31k GVWR and not miss a beat.
Can’t imagine the newer bigger motors could be any less powerful.

For normal city driving and maneuvering and parking the dually gets old sometimes. Even though if you’re dogging it, it handles like a twenty foot long sports car that’ll drift through corners just like the little Jap cars in the movies.
For hauling a big trailer it’s a dream. Maybe more than the minimum needed for a travel trailer, but the dually makes for a very comforting feeling for hauling.
The downside of course is when you have to buy tires it’s $1500.

Last edited by DollarShort; 07/28/18.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by badger
Ryan, cumminsforum.com has a lot of info on this. Your dealer is likely unaware of the TSB's that address the dead pedal issue. Do a search on the 4th generation section of the forum and you'll find the info you need.

There should be no surprise a Dodge dealership has not a clue about servicing the chit they sell..

Dave

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hanco

Buddy who's a cattleman sold his '18 Dodge diesel after it left him out in the pasture. Seems it has a bunch of sensors, always going off. One day the truck stopped running with sensor lights blaring.

He got a 4 dr. Ford F-350 with an aluminum bed, a gasser. He says he gets 10 mpg or so, and it keeps on running.

The old diesels were great, like the first Cummings, the 7.3L Ford made by International, etc. The new ones...

Well, gasoline is starting to make more sense for that size truck.

DF

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yep Dirtfarmer, I live in farm and cattle country and I’m seeing more and more guys buying 6.0 GMs and 6.2 Ford one tons with bale beds. 15-20 years back when I was farm handing everyone was switching over to diesels for the way they’d pull, no fire danger from catylitic converters in grass or straw, and cheap fuel. Now they’re swinging back to gas for cheaper fuel and increased reliability. I only know one farmer who never switched, he’s still driving a 94 F350 with a 460.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You getting feedback on how the GM 6.0 stacks up against the Ford 6.2.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not to mention the fact that these ultra low sulfur diesel fuels today just, well......suck. Additives have to be added back to them after refining just to make them "palatable". That and this Blue Def hogwash is the reason I won't own one.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
You getting feedback on how the GM 6.0 stacks up against the Ford 6.2.

DF

Most of the Ford guys have always been Ford guys and Chevy guys Chevy guys so I don’t get much true to life comparison input. But I’ve heard very little complaining from either camp. The secret to the Ford is ordering or finding one with the 4:30 rear. The standard 3:73s are just to steep to get in and stay in the sweet spot. I’ve had more than one guy tell me they’re like a totally different engine with the lower gears. Doesn’t seem to make any difference mileage wise either, especially for farm driving, short trips, pastures, and what not.

I am not and likely won’t ever be a GM guy. But I admit the 6.0 and whatever tranny combo they have now seems to be pretty solid. I will say I’ve never seen one with a few miles on it that didn’t rattle and clatter on startup and that’s a little off putting. Had a bud with a 4.8 and two with 5.3s that did the same so it must not be too serious since they seem to last a long time.

One guy has a 6.4 gas Ram but he’s a dickhead so I’ve never asked him about it. I’m sure it runs over chevys and pulls fords in half if he is telling it.

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by hanco

Buddy who's a cattleman sold his '18 Dodge diesel after it left him out in the pasture. Seems it has a bunch of sensors, always going off. One day the truck stopped running with sensor lights blaring.

He got a 4 dr. Ford F-350 with an aluminum bed, a gasser. He says he gets 10 mpg or so, and it keeps on running.

The old diesels were great, like the first Cummings, the 7.3L Ford made by International, etc. The new ones...

Well, gasoline is starting to make more sense for that size truck.

DF

That's what happens when you let the government get involved in the automotive industry through completely asinine environmental regulation. It's not the newer engines that are inherently bad, it's the EPA garbage that smothers them and causes 99% of the problems.

.gov could f#@k up an anvil with a Q-tip.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Low speed, low load, and low engine operating temps are the most problematic situations for the '07 and later diesels w/particulate filters. Whomever decided that EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) was a good idea should also have their testes removed via repeated paper cutting sans anesthetic until the job is done.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (10Glocks, 17CalFan, 160user, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,835
Posts18,478,075
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.