Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
OP Offline
B
Long time lurker, first time poster....Need some advice on some new boots for an antelope hunt this October in Wyoming. Not looking for anything insulated, just something comfortable and good for trekking a few miles at a time. I've already considered the Danner route, but I want to see if there are any other options out there that I'm not aware of. Also, shoe size is usually a restriction when it comes to purchases. Size 15 isn't that big, but apparently it's big enough that some manufacturers don't feel the need to make them. Let me know if you have any suggestions. I appreciate your input.

Thanks Everyone

God is good, all the time
Woo Pig
GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Danner, break them in good before you go!!

Last edited by hanco; 06/28/18.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Lowa Renegades would be good for that, not sure about the sizes.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigBoreHog
Size 15 isn't that big

the heck you say.....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I live here and I hunt them every year. I have for 25 years. And I have taken out many many many hunters in those 25 years too, so I know what you need.

Buy something that is not insulated and NOT cloth sided. Cactus spines go right through the cloth ones.

Have good aggressive tread and you will want a very good fit. No tight spots and no rubs. In many cases you will not walk a long distance hunting antelope, but you should be prepared to do it at times, so if you don't have a set of boots that will allow you to hike 2 miles or up to 8 miles without hurting your feet, you have the wrong boots.
(Or the wrong feet! If that's the case, start hiking now and get your feet in shape for it)

One tip that is worth it's weight in gold is to get hard knee pads and a good set of leather work gloves to carry in cargo pockets of your pants. If you need to make a low crawl to get to your shooting position ( and you will at times) you will bless the day you read and acted on this tip.

Last edited by szihn; 06/28/18.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I wouldn't overthink it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by szihn

One tip that is worth it's weight in gold is to get hard knee pads and a good set of leather work gloves to carry in cargo pockets of your pants. If you need to make a low crawl to get to your shooting position ( and you will at times) you will bless the day you read and acted on this tip.

+1.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My current favorites for that situation are Crispi Wyoming or Dakota. They are a bit spendy.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole

+1.

+1+

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BigBoreHog
Long time lurker, first time poster....Need some advice on some new boots for an antelope hunt this October in Wyoming. Not looking for anything insulated, just something comfortable and good for trekking a few miles at a time. I've already considered the Danner route, but I want to see if there are any other options out there that I'm not aware of. Also, shoe size is usually a restriction when it comes to purchases. Size 15 isn't that big, but apparently it's big enough that some manufacturers don't feel the need to make them. Let me know if you have any suggestions. I appreciate your input.

Thanks Everyone

Vasque Breeze GTX 2.0 or newer model, "III" or Lowa equivalents. Relatively lightweight and good ventilation. They offer size 15. Two pairs of thin socks. Porous surgical-type tape for any problem areas that (may) chafe or blister. REI, etc.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Szihn is right about cactus thorns going through the cloth or nylon uppers, but I like a lightweight boot for antelope hunting, so I'm just careful where I put my feet. The weather is usually quite warm, especially in the afternoon, so I prefer something that breathes well. I almost always use either an old pair of jungle boots or an old pair of desert boots. Mine were issued, but I have seen them at surplus stores and I think you can buy them in larger sizes as well. But really, anything that fits well and is comfortable will do for antelope. The conditions aren't terribly extreme, either in terms of terrain or weather (usually), but you might end up doing a lot of walking.

Good socks are important too. I used to be pretty partial to the Thorlo combat boot sock. They had a thick resilient pad underfoot and a thinner, more breathable layer over the instep. They worked pretty well. Now I wear a merino blend sock from either Cabelas or Costco. They are pretty good too. Not as well cushioned, but more breathable than the all synthetic Thorlo was.

Szihn is also right about pads. They are ESSENTIAL. I use pads on both my knees and my elbows. I use the cheap white elastic ones as they go on under my clothes, but the hard plastic ones are probably better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Vasque Breeze GTX 2.0 or newer model, "III" or Lowa equivalents. Relatively lightweight and good ventilation. They offer size 15. Two pairs of thin socks. Porous surgical-type tape for any problem areas that (may) chafe or blister. REI, etc.

Leukatape is really good at preventing blisters and sore spots. I wear some on backs of my heels and on my bunion every time I plan to do a lot of mileage or a lot of steep terrain.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will second the recommendation on Lowa Renegades. Have worn them on early season mountain hunts to backpacking across the Grand Canyon, and all points inbetween. One caveat, be sure they are a good fit for your foot.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bwinters

Leukatape is really good at preventing blisters and sore spots. I wear some on backs of my heels and on my bunion every time I plan to do a lot of mileage or a lot of steep terrain.

Never heard of Leukatape, thanks for the tip. My favorite product is hard to find lately.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

+1.

+1+

+1.

If the plant is green stay away!

+1+

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't really have cactus thorn problems where I hunt, and it really doesn't matter much what I wear. I have Danner Elk Hunters and Danner Pronghorns, but don't wear them for antelope hunting. I wear my everday waterproof Merrill Moabs right now. My son wears tennis shoes in decent weather even though he has good boots. It may be a good idea to have something that works ok with snow and slippery ground. I totally agree on the hard knee pads and gloves. The hard pads are great when you have to drop "right now."

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Buy something that is not insulated and NOT cloth sided. Cactus spines go right through the cloth ones.

I was "just about" to write that down when you posted that! When I went on my first Antelope/Mule Deer hunt out of laramie I used a pair of Cabelas Kangaroo Hide Upland Bird Hunting boots. One time I "did" wear a pair of Nike running shoes on a Prairie Dog Hunt near Gilletee...to my everlasting regret...pulled cactus out all day long! smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 06/29/18.
B
OP Offline
B
Thank you all for the input! I have hunted this particular area in Wyoming a couple of times several years ago, so I know what you mean when you talk about getting stuck by cactus thorns. I didn't have any knee pads, but I brought a couple pairs of those "briar resistant" upland hunting pants with me. They were a life saver when I had to crawl up a hill to put a stalk on an antelope. My hands, however, were a different story

I checked on the Crispi boots and they only run up to 14. Vasque, Lowa and the Danner Pronghorns run up to 15 (Their largest available size). Has anyone here had personal experience with the Pronghorns? They're good looking boots, but I've heard they're not made as well as they used to be. Also, not sure that I need an 8" tall boot.

Woo Pig
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hmmm I thought they went to 15. I've worn alot of Danners. I'm not a fan of the Pronghorn. Stick with the American made Danners and forego the imported crap. It it we me, I'd look at the Danner Grouse for an Antelope boot if you wanted to stick to Danners. .

B
OP Offline
B
I know one of Danner's big selling points is the Made in America line, but I wasn't sure if all their boots were or not. I'm not really leaning one way or another at this point. Just wanted to get some solid options, see if anyone nearby stocked them so I could try them on (not likely in my size though), and then try to get them a month or two in advance to break them in. The last time I went I wore my insulated Irish Setter hunting boots. They were more than capable of the task, but my feet and legs were pretty sore after a few days of trekking in them. I was right out of college then and didn't really have another option, so I danced with the girl I brought....so to say

Woo Pig
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,779 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.