Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by Bill_N
Cooper puts a target with a 100 yard 3 shot group shot by that rifle in the box. They are usually cloverleaf type groups. So that is their verification that the gun is capable of shooting ½” or less. It doesn’t mean that anyone can shoot it that well or that it will shoot any load that well.

Are you sure? I've read several times that there is never a 100 yard shot target with a Cooper. All those test targets included are shot at something like 50-57 yards in an indoor range.

Only figure I have heard is 50 yards

HR IC

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Cooper puts a target with a 100 yard 3 shot group shot by that rifle in the box. They are usually cloverleaf type groups. So that is their verification that the gun is capable of shooting ½” or less. It doesn’t mean that anyone can shoot it that well or that it will shoot any load that well.

Are you sure? I've read several times that there is never a 100 yard shot target with a Cooper. All those test targets included are shot at something like 50-57 yards in an indoor range.

Only figure I have heard is 50 yards

Maybe it was 50 meters or 54.68 yards,which is why I remember an odd number.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I would hate to drop that kind of coin and find out it can be outshot by a Tikka T3x,Sako A7,Steyr Prohunter and the new Christensen Mesa in 6.5? That would suck

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

The groups are shot at 50 yards in a test tunnel, they shoot the groups off a sandbag and they are fired by a human shooter using a 36X Leupold target scope.
I have been in the test tunnel and the targets are a true 50 yards. The test target is provided as "proof of performance" group which will interpolate to 1/2" or less at 100 yards.
The factory guarantee states that they are guaranteed to shoot 1/2" three shot groups at 100 yds. But I am in the camp that believes there are more rifles capable of shooting 1/2" groups then there are shooters capable of shooting 1/2" groups, especially when it comes to lightweight heavy recoiling rifles.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by drover

The groups are shot at 50 yards in a test tunnel, they shoot the groups off a sandbag and they are fired by a human shooter using a 36X Leupold target scope.
I have been in the test tunnel and the targets are a true 50 yards. The test target is provided as "proof of performance" group which will interpolate to 1/2" or less at 100 yards.
The factory guarantee states that they are guaranteed to shoot 1/2" three shot groups at 100 yds. But I am in the camp that believes there are more rifles capable of shooting 1/2" groups then there are shooters capable of shooting 1/2" groups, especially when it comes to lightweight heavy recoiling rifles.

drover

That may be. I assumed it was 100 yards but regardless, my Excalibur has been a tackdriver since day one. Cloverleaf type groups at 100 yards are the norm.

I've owned a couple of 6 lb lightweight rifles and have had trouble getting them to shoot well consistently. I wouldn't assume that a sub 6lb rifle isn't capable of shooting 1/2' groups because someone on an internet forum said that they weren't getting good groups.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like Coopers as well as the next guy.

I find their target a bit deceptive. I had always assumed 100 yds. as the std. with centerfire rifles.

They still shoot pretty well at a hundred, just wish the company was upfront about their factory targets.

It wouldn't take that much ink to note the correct yardage.

DF

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

drover

That may be. I assumed it was 100 yards but regardless, my Excalibur has been a tackdriver since day one. Cloverleaf type groups at 100 yards are the norm.

I've owned a couple of 6 lb lightweight rifles and have had trouble getting them to shoot well consistently. I wouldn't assume that a sub 6lb rifle isn't capable of shooting 1/2' groups because someone on an internet forum said that they weren't getting good groups.

I have one 6lb rifle that shoots cloverleaf groups at 100 yards. The average size of several targets will be under .5 measured inches. It might shoot a couple groups,or I might,shoot a couple groups over .5 but the average will still be below .5 inches.

I also have one 5lb rifle that sometimes shoots an extrapolated .5 at 100 yards. Sometimes it actually shoots a .5 group at 100. More times it is 1.5 inches and it might be 3" on an occasion. I'm not sure it weight plays as much a part as the quality of the rifle,at least under perfect range conditions.I would say that a heavier rifle would be easier to steady in the field under extreme conditions.

I agree with you,but whenever you are considering any new rifle,it's still good to hear all the reviews. It's not hard to tell who knows what if they talk a little about setting up their rifle.You don't give equal weight to all opinions.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I find their target a bit deceptive. I had always assumed 100 yds. as the std. with centerfire rifles.

They still shoot pretty well at a hundred, just wish the company was upfront about their factory targets.

DF

Dan Cooper started the unspecified yardage test target being provided with the rifle, it was a great sales gimmick that is still carried on to this day - he did not want anyone to know the actual distance being shot. Most folks look at the target and assume it was shot at 100 yards since the guarantee is 3 shot in 1/2" at 100 yds. Prior to 2009 the shooting distance was even less than 50 yards, the true 50 yard targets did not start until Cooper Rifles moved to the new facility in 2009.

It doesn't bother me that they don't post the yardage because every Cooper I have owned has met the three shot 1/2" @ 100 yard guarantee, I have a couple that sometimes equals or bests the test target at 100 yards. I currently am down to only four Cooper rifles right now but over the years I have owned at least a half-dozen others and none have disappointed me, but all I have owned except one have been in varmint calibers, the only one not so was a 7X57 and it also would shoot under 1/2".

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

drover

I have one 6lb rifle that shoots cloverleaf groups at 100 yards. The average size of several targets will be under .5 measured inches. It might shoot a couple groups,or I might,shoot a couple groups over .5 but the average will still be below .5 inches.

I also have one 5lb rifle that sometimes shoots an extrapolated .5 at 100 yards. Sometimes it actually shoots a .5 group at 100. More times it is 1.5 inches and it might be 3" on an occasion. I'm not sure it weight plays as much a part as the quality of the rifle,at least under perfect range conditions.I would say that a heavier rifle would be easier to steady in the field under extreme conditions.

I agree with you,but whenever you are considering any new rifle,it's still good to hear all the reviews. It's not hard to tell who knows what if they talk a little about setting up their rifle.You don't give equal weight to all opinions.

You gotta have very good benchrest technique to get a 5 or 6 # rifle to shoot bug holes. Everything is more sensitive with light guns; they're not that forgiving.

DF

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
DF summed it up in a couple of sentences.

There are a lot of 1/2" capable rifles out there but not so many 1/2" capable shooters.

drover

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

Dan Cooper started the unspecified yardage test target being provided with the rifle, it was a great sales gimmick that is still carried on to this day - he did not want anyone to know the actual distance being shot. Most folks look at the target and assume it was shot at 100 yards since the guarantee is 3 shot in 1/2" at 100 yds. Prior to 2009 the shooting distance was even less than 50 yards, the true 50 yard targets did not start until Cooper Rifles moved to the new facility in 2009.

It doesn't bother me that they don't post the yardage because every Cooper I have owned has met the three shot 1/2" @ 100 yard guarantee, I have a couple that sometimes equals or bests the test target at 100 yards. I currently am down to only four Cooper rifles right now but over the years I have owned at least a half-dozen others and none have disappointed me, but all I have owned except one have been in varmint calibers, the only one not so was a 7X57 and it also would shoot under 1/2".

drover

Coopers are accurate enough, they don't need to fudge on the test target yardage. Dan Cooper, from what I've read, was a leftest liberal. The Cooper board eventually fired him for his political views and leftest donations. It was bad for business, but they dumped him only after he was outed.

If it was Dan who started this charade, him being a big lib sorta explains it. In their eyes, the end justifies the means. Cooper could have 'fessed up after getting rid of Dan and either declared the actual yardage or shot the guns at an honest 100

Sneaky.

DF

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

DF

drover

Coopers are accurate enough, they don't need to fudge on the test target yardage. Dan Cooper, from what I've read, was a leftest liberal. The Cooper board eventually fired him for his political views and leftest donations. It was bad for business, but they dumped him only after he was outed.

If it was Dan who started this charade, him being a big lib sorta explains it. In their eyes, the end justifies the means. Cooper could have 'fessed up after getting rid of Dan and either declared the actual yardage or shot the guns at an honest 100

Sneaky.

DF

I don't care much if a target is .25 at 50 yards or .50 at 100 yards. I would think that the 50 yard indoor range is more a matter of convenience than deception. I've not heard of bad Coopers that weren't corrected ASAP. My only point about the Cooper accuracy was that the BackCountry likely wouldn't shoot any better than a Barrett,guarantee or not,so I find the Barrett a better deal.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have owned and still own multiple Coopers in varmint, hunting, and rimfire. All have met or beaten the factory target. The center fires needed some load work but ended up fine also have a great relationship with the people at Cooper. Even picked my own wood on a few. On one I got a triple A upgrade for nothing, that was fun.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How does the Christensen Arms Ridgeline fit into the comparison ?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It’s heavy and may feel heavier than it actually is.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Arac
How does the Christensen Arms Ridgeline fit into the comparison ?

Everyone I know that has one loves them to death and everyone shoots nice very nice tight groups. I have a 6.5 creedmoor Mesa, would not trade it for the world. Imgur is acting up on my macbook or I would have posted pics of the rifle and the groups it produces with "factory" ammo 18.58 Deer Season at wally world and 28.00 dollar Federal berger hybrid . There is absolutely no need to handload for this rifle. I cannot find a single thing wrong with this rifle not one thing. 40 rounds down the tube.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I have a Cooper Jackson long range in 300 Win. Love the rifle but it's heavy, two pounds heavier than the Back Country. I'm fine with that because I shoot it a lot. I really didn't buy it for hunting per-say, mostly for long range shooting. I wanted a 30 caliber with lots of case capacity. It has one of Cooper's radial muzzle brakes. I'd put it in the recoil range of an equal weight .308 without a brake. The recoil isn't sharp as much as a push. I can put 30 rounds through it in one shooting session with out any soreness or after effects. Of course, if you take 2 pounds off the rifle, recoil is going up but my guess is its still very manageable. So, if I were looking at the Back Country, (which I am), I'd go for the 300 WSM with a brake, or 7MM WSM also with a brake. Shorter, but you'd only lose 50-75 FPS, and much handier than the 26" 300 Mag. Test targets really don't mean much. If the rifle is strapped down and being shot under ideal conditions with a proven load, the average guy isn't in most cases going to replicate those controlled conditions and groups. If you're shooting off bags or bi-pod in the afternoon with the air rising and the wind gusting and horse flies trying to steal some of your flesh, well, you get my meaning. I have zero regrets with respect to the Cooper I have. Good luck, let us know how you decide.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,664
Posts18,493,675
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.