Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've been wanting to build one for 5 years now, have the books, and most of the tools. I just need some motivation.

Denny

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Denny, I've never done that. What type cedar wood?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
white cedar.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I seriously toyed with the idea about 20 years ago. There's an outfit in Duluth that sells a real nice kit and has great designs.

The name escapes me...

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'd think a shaper, or good router table would be a must.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Bead and cove type routing from what I recall.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Canoe Tripping forum.......those guys are up to speed on many styles and latest materials.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
For me, building would be more fun than paddling it! laugh

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
T
Built an oak strip canoe for my senior project in high school, won the state fair and sold it for a nice price. Not sure how similar what you are doing and not sure how much I remember, lol.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
Built an oak strip canoe for my senior project in high school, won the state fair and sold it for a nice price. Not sure how similar what you are doing and not sure how much I remember, lol.

A oak canoe? How heavy was it?
I couldn't imagine portaging a oak canoe in the BWCA.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Problem with the last one was , every time the radio hit some bump and grind music, it stripped and sank! Never again. (Though the tips floating on the water were nice....) wink

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have the one my late brother built, they are very nice and good looking out on the water, he made a woven seat for it, that you can tie on in what ever position you want, good for when you have two paddlers, or move it up when just you.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Originally Posted by The_Yetti

A oak canoe? How heavy was it?
I couldn't imagine portaging a oak canoe in the BWCA.

Wasn't to heavy, the oak was 1/4" strips, with a bead on one end and cove on the other. The fiberglass it was coated with is what gave it it's strength. Never even put it in the water, although I wanted to, but when your offered $5000 for it at the fair, the 3 of us that built it took that in a heart beat!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Whelenman
I've been wanting to build one for 5 years now, have the books, and most of the tools. I just need some motivation.

Denny

IIRC, one of the History Channel "Mountain Men", Eustace Conway, built a cedar strip canoe in one of that show's episodes.

My good friend in Abilene, KS, built two of them back in the early 1980s and we used one of them on float deer hunt on either the Solomon or Smokey Hills River in 1985. I remember that it was a heavy SOB, much heavier than any of the Old Town wood and canvas canoes that I learned to canoe in.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
If you have fairly good woodworking skills and good plans, tons of fun. Attention to detail and precise cutting and setup of the frames will make for a fair hull. If you do not have a table saw and router table, buy the pre-machined strips (typically western red, white cedar very expensive). Fiberglassing is a sticky PIA but again, slow precise work and follow directions. And above ALL else, you must like sanding, and sanding and then some more sanding. Good luck, you will love the results, it is hard to hate a 22 lb canoe.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Here is a link to a school I teach at, they have some classes that might get you that motivation to start...

https://northhouse.org/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Go to Duckworksmagazine.com Thet all are ametuer boat builders and you can find all you need there. free site

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TED338
If you have fairly good woodworking skills and good plans, tons of fun. Attention to detail and precise cutting and setup of the frames will make for a fair hull. If you do not have a table saw and router table, buy the pre-machined strips (typically western red, white cedar very expensive). Fiberglassing is a sticky PIA but again, slow precise work and follow directions. And above ALL else, you must like sanding, and sanding and then some more sanding. Good luck, you will love the results, it is hard to hate a 22 lb canoe.

A 22 lbs. canoe made from anything would have to be pretty small. I have an Old Town Pack canoe that is short and unstable, but light at about 33 lb.

EDIT: Changed the weight of the Old Town Pack canoe to 33 lbs. from 45 lbs.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 06/30/18. Reason: corrected an error
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
This guy is an old Toolmaker buddy of mine from way back. He built a cedar canoe that he has hanging from the ceiling of his house. I wish I could find a picture of it.

http://freeplans.com/ww/Article/Virgil-Johnson-Building-a-Houseful-of-Beautiful-Fu-4292.aspx

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by TED338

A 22 lbs. canoe made from anything would have to be pretty small. I have an Old Town Pack canoe that is short and unstable, but light at about 45 lbs.

The one I was going to make was around 52 pounds. I wish I would've done it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (260madman, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 204guy, 2500HD, 60 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,500
Posts18,509,196
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.