Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yes, Gene. Everything I ever read said that Pope always used LH twist. Progressive twist often but not always. He didn't like doing .22 barrels and high pressure centerfire barrels for jacketed bullets, but obviously he did quite a number of both.

So, John. I'm getting confused. Does this new jewel of yours have a Pope barrel on it or is it that he assisted Newton in the design of the rifling and setup of his barrel making operation?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here is a link to the article Charles Newton had in American Rifleman in 1917 about the Pope barrels. In the article Newton stated their barrels were called "Newton-Pope" and that is what I was referring to about my barrel. Apparently they were all "Pope's" !!! I didn't mean I had a stamped Pope barrel as such. There is so many new and interesting things about these rifles. Love it !! Having a problem now, it's not shooting like my other rifles ...... all the bullets are going into one hole !!!:):):) Ha Ha Ha

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/Cast_Bullet/Vault/Newton-Pope_Rifling_Oval_Bore.html

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
👍 👍 👍

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by oldgunsmith
Here is a link to the article Charles Newton had in American Rifleman in 1917 about the Pope barrels. In the article Newton stated their barrels were called "Newton-Pope" and that is what I was referring to about my barrel. Apparently they were all "Pope's" !!! I didn't mean I had a stamped Pope barrel as such. There is so many new and interesting things about these rifles. Love it !! Having a problem now, it's not shooting like my other rifles ...... all the bullets are going into one hole !!!:):):) Ha Ha Ha

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/Cast_Bullet/Vault/Newton-Pope_Rifling_Oval_Bore.html

John that's a beautiful rifle Sir! Congratulations and I think it's great that your wife got it for you.

Take care,
Bill

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Its a pretty amazing thing when you take a rifle like your Newton and and hold it up to bolt guns of today and see that it still has elegant and classic lines, a clean century after it was made. There's not too many manufactured products that transcend time with their good design. How does it feel when you bring it up to your shoulder? Some of the better bolt guns from before WWII I've had the opportunity to handle seem to be natural pointers. Likewise, the 99 with a receiver sight has always seemed a natural to me too.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Enjoyed your comments and interest in my new gun. And all the knowledge you have shared with me over time. It's always fun to share a new rifle with your buddies. I try not to hog the show too often.

S99VG: you can feel the quality of this rifle when you pick it up .... it handles much like a 99, it was built for using iron sights and fits me very well ( I am happy !!)

John

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Seen one of those at a show a couple years ago. It was in a larger cal that I was interested in. Loved the overall size and look, reminded me of the Savage 1920. I am definitely envious of your rifle, John. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John,

With that kind of rifling, does the rifle have a twist rate? I would think it does. Can you say what that rate is for the 256 Newton?

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm all in John, very cool.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grand Old Rifle!

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,100 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,773
Posts18,495,725
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.