-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those freedoms are gonna be hard for other companies to compete with and nobody can touch them in the price range.

I bought one to try and was surprised.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Mount scopes for function, not looks. Because the scope looks best mounted low may not be the most comfortable in actual shooting. Typically I like my scopes slightly higher than most guys. Close eyes mount the rifle scope view should be full when you open your eyes. This might mean a higher mounting. Off hand shooting generally does better with higher mounting.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Those freedoms are gonna be hard for other companies to compete with and nobody can touch them in the price range.

I bought one to try and was surprised.

I got 2 of them in April and was shocked at how good and how cheap and how light weight they are.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Did the adjustments on those freedoms adjust better or more accurately than previous Leupold scopes you’ve had? Do you know if the reticles are wire or etched ?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Just some input from the other side of the counter.....

Our big three in dollar volume are Leupold, Vortex and Nightforce. We do six figures in all three. It’s easy to hit with Nightforce because of cost. The other two are made up with volume.

Vortex has surpassed Leupold in total sales with us. They’re almost double in volume. The return rate for service is also much higher than Leupolds. We see 3-4 Vortex scopes coming back in weekly and most of those are set and forget scopes. The majority of the issues we see are failure to adjust.

Just my two cents....

Sitka just soiled his diapers.......

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m assuming they are wire or something, the adjustments click, about all I can ask for.

See, I don’t begrudge folk for using whatever they want. The only input I debate is the ammunition selection. I don’t give a damn how much you spend on a setup, I know just as many folk who have an ADL and Nikon Prostaff that performs as well as the top dollar hunting rig with one exception. The low dollar fellas expend less mental energy on the hunt for the perfect equipment and concentrate more on hunting game.

Its all crazy. I think there is a lot of super masochism and compulsive disorder in the sporting world.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 07/02/18.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I do know the manufacturers do not appreciate people bragging about their discounts, especially on the internet. And you are still completely wrong.
I don't think the manufacturers give a shyt. Sure never heard that they do and I've worked for one and talked to representatives from many others for years. You want the discounts, get a job in the industry. Anybody that works in the industry gets the industry professionals discount. As per usual, you don't know shyt and are way more knoeledgeable in your own little mind than in reality.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Our big three in dollar volume are Leupold, Vortex and Nightforce. We do six figures in all three. It’s easy to hit with Nightforce because of cost. The other two are made up with volume.

Vortex has surpassed Leupold in total sales with us. They’re almost double in volume. The return rate for service is also much higher than Leupolds. We see 3-4 Vortex scopes coming back in weekly and most of those are set and forget scopes. The majority of the issues we see are failure to adjust.

Just my two cents....

SAS, do you have a sense for return rate on FX3s? Intuitively I’d think it would be more reliable than say the VX2, but things don’t always pan out. I’m looking for something robust that will hold up on my 84M 338 Fed, and hopefully not weigh a ton.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Just my two cents....

Sitka just soiled his diapers.......

Careful there Uncle Rico...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I do know the manufacturers do not appreciate people bragging about their discounts, especially on the internet. And you are still completely wrong.
I don't think the manufacturers give a shyt. Sure never heard that they do and I've worked for one and talked to representatives from many others for years. You want the discounts, get a job in the industry. Anybody that works in the industry gets the industry professionals discount. As per usual, you don't know shyt and are way more knoeledgeable in your own little mind than in reality.

You work in the industry and have never heard that?

Sure you have...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

You work in the industry and have never heard that?

Sure you have...
It ain't much of a secret in the industry and I've never heard anybody say it was supposed to be. It's a simple employee benefit like health insurance and paid holidays, nothing more, nothing less. Don't know why anybody'd want to hide it. Sorry to disappoint you when you're grasping at straws.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Just my two cents....

I am not involved in the schit storm, but if Vortex is selling at 2x the volume of Leupold, I would expect the return rate to be higher. What I would like to know is the percentage of returns for all of the brands AND break that down to what needed to be fixed.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Just my two cents....

I'm kind of reminded of E-trade here. E-trade's strategy was to grow at all cost. In the early years, their trade executions were unreliable/often slow, customer service unresponsive and generally a pain to deal with if any hickups encountered. The brokerage ratings never had them leading, but they just kept growing due to low commissions, good marketing and through acquisitions of other brokerages. Of course, back then the internet was really taking off, and any company with the name "E" in it was a darling on Wall Street so no lack of stock price hysteria. Hey, it was ordained to grow, and it did. You can buy a lot of companies and market share with an inflated stock value. Eventually, they became the 1200 lb gorilla in the brokerage business and improved their quality and reliability. Seems to be sort of a parallel here although Vortex's story hasn't played out yet.

I'm curious. Do most customers of scopes return them to the retailer, or do they just go straight to the manufacturer? I would contact the manufacturer unless they were damaged or defective straight out of the box. The other question is, since most of Vortex's scopes are manufactured overseas, are their margins still better even taking into consideration a higher failure rate suggested by your comment? And how good is Vortex on their warranty?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Once again Arthur is yapping about shiit he don’t know about.... yep it’s a huge secret, the 40% military, law enforcement first responder discount that I and thousands of others receive!!!!! Shhhhh! Keep it a secret!!! Lmfao

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm pretty much on the record as being a Leupold user, in fact about two years ago I went "full circle" and came back to exclusively Leupolds. Then, I had two things happened. I had my a 2.5X8X36 (my favorite Leupold scope) suffer a fall (my fault) so I sent it off for repair which Leupold did no problem, So the scope came back, I put in on a reliable rifle and guess what? it shot patterns. Replaced the scope and guess what? back to sub MOA. So back it went and back it came and I have not checked it and quite frankly, I'm not sure I'll test it anytime soon. Fast forward to yesterday, when I was at the range tuning up a another VX3 (this one a 3.5X10X40) Custom CDX for my Browning Safari 300 Win Mag. It was shooting tight groups (about .66) but 1" high and I wanted it dead on @ 100 on the CDS. So, down I went four clicks/ Where did the group go? 1" down as expected...BUT also 1" left so I shot it again and again 1 down & 1 left to i dialed in a 1" right correction and BINGO, dead on at 100. But guess what, this scope with the Fancy CDS will no be just like the cooking show gadgets, as in "set it and forget it". Its set for 2" high at 100 and I aint dicking with the dials... Same as all my Leupolds, set to zero and forget the dials... There's a lesson there...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Can always count on the optics forum for contention...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I'm pretty much on the record as being a Leupold user, in fact about two years ago I went "full circle" and came back to exclusively Leupolds. Then, I had two things happened. I had my a 2.5X8X36 (my favorite Leupold scope) suffer a fall (my fault) so I sent it off for repair which Leupold did no problem, So the scope came back, I put in on a reliable rifle and guess what? it shot patterns. Replaced the scope and guess what? back to sub MOA. So back it went and back it came and I have not checked it and quite frankly, I'm not sure I'll test it anytime soon. Fast forward to yesterday, when I was at the range tuning up a another VX3 (this one a 3.5X10X40) Custom CDX for my Browning Safari 300 Win Mag. It was shooting tight groups (about .66) but 1" high and I wanted it dead on @ 100 on the CDS. So, down I went four clicks/ Where did the group go? 1" down as expected...BUT also 1" left so I shot it again and again 1 down & 1 left to i dialed in a 1" right correction and BINGO, dead on at 100. But guess what, this scope with the Fancy CDS will no be just like the cooking show gadgets, as in "set it and forget it". Its set for 2" high at 100 and I aint dicking with the dials... Same as all my Leupolds, set to zero and forget the dials... There's a lesson there...

Lots of things I really like about Leupolds...mainly the 6x42 but several others. Lightweight, excellent eye relief, decent glass, stuff that together makes a great hunting scope used for killing stuff. Sighting in is a touch and go affair best done by 3 shot groups after each adjustment basing the next adjustment off of the closest 2 in that group. The LRD in a fixed power scope is good once it's sighted in....but like the radio DJ says, don't touch that dial!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was in the post office about 6 months ago, sending a Leupold scope in, and the guy behind the counter, who I know is a hunter, asked me if it was going in for repair. I told him it was and he said he doesn't see too many Leupolds getting sent in.

He went on to say there was one brand of scope that he noticed was leading the pack in returns for service though. When I asked which brand that he noticed gets sent back most often, the answer was "Vortex"

Last edited by Lonny; 07/02/18.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Vortex

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Lonny
I was in the post office about 6 months ago, sending a Leupold scope in, and the guy behind the counter, who I know is a hunter, asked me if it was going in for repair. I told him it was and he said he doesn't see too many Leupolds getting sent in.

He went on to say there was one brand of scope that he noticed was leading the pack in returns for service though. When I asked which brand that he noticed gets sent back most often, the answer was "Vortex"

How on earth does a guy at the post office know which brand of scope is being sent in for repair? Any time I send something like a scope through the mail, I make sure the contents of the box can't be identified. Same as when they get shipped to me from the vendor, they're always in a plain brown box.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

466 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 39 invisible), 2,923 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,442
Posts18,528,710
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.