Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Once again, never puked a scope, "and I have twisted turrets", and have never had scope nose or scope brow.... fuuck am I dreaming?????

I also found out a couple weeks ago lead sleds break scopes and stocks!!!! After 15 years and literally 100's of rifles I've never seen it, not 1 time!! Must be living right..... grin

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
One might be the berries on my .218, .223s or perhaps .243, but they are all satisfactorily scoped as I write. No reason to change. I really don't think they will go over with the short eye relief. That can be re-engineered.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Judman
Once again, never puked a scope, "and I have twisted turrets", and have never had scope nose or scope brow.... fuuck am I dreaming?????

I also found out a couple weeks ago lead sleds break scopes and stocks!!!! After 15 years and literally 100's of rifles I've never seen it, not 1 time!! Must be living right..... grin

Not possible. You must not shoot much! Some people just have all the luck?!?!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
In reality, if one mounts their scope correctly for their shooting position/style and has a consistent and proper form, they will not get "scoped" because it becomes nearly impossible for the gun to actually recoil that much without moving the body along with it. I maintain that if someone has gotten scoped, they didn't have it set correctly for their form to begin with, or they have inconsistent form.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
And the obvious target demographic is the same group that would buy the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32 if they could afford it and didn't care that it weighs 19 ounces and also has "short" eye relief on high power.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
In reality, if one mounts their scope correctly for their shooting position/style and has a consistent and proper form, they will not get "scoped" because it becomes nearly impossible for the gun to actually recoil that much without moving the body along with it. I maintain that if someone has gotten scoped, they didn't have it set correctly for their form to begin with, or they have inconsistent form.

That may be true... if one shoots from the same static position all the time. You don’t have that option with a “hunting” scope. You need to be able to shoot uphill, downhill, standing, prone, off make-shift rests, left handed, whatever....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Not possible. You must not shoot much! Some people just have all the luck?!?!

Haha ya I don’t have a 500 yard range in my yard, I don’t carry rifles much, and I don’t hunt much!!! Grin

Ain’t easy havin pals.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Dear SWFA,

Please call the persnickety folks on here and reassure them that your poor designs are really ok for the tactard crowd on a budget.

Also, fix that dead chicken graphic on the side. Or is that a buzzard?

Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

I'll call BS on this theory.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Yeah, but come on, you probably don't use your rifles for lawn darts, dive into foxholes or slip and fall and chuck your rifle over a cliff to save yorself all the time either. A scopes got to be able to take that shyt if you're a "hard charger" you know.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Well, I've been shooting since I was 5-years old, so that's over 40 years now. Yet to ever get bit by a scope. And I might have shot more than a few times off a pack, prone, prone bipod, and uphill while hanging by my toes. And over two decades of that has been with a very lightweight 30-06 shooting 180 CoreLokts. And for most of those decades, it was with cheap Tasco scopes that didn't have more than 3" of eye relief.

Here's the easy solution: put the scope on low power, measure the eye relief, and set the scope for your consistent mount with head low and down and forward into the gun so that it lines up correctly that way. If you plan to always carry it on say 4x power, then set it that way. Which means the scope will be far forward. When you need to shoot on high power, you won't be able to "crawl the stock" any further forward much anyway, and you won't be able to get enough further forward to get "bit" by the scope. This naturally makes the scope work better in prone positions anyway when you would usually be using the scope on high power and said position tends to force your eye forward slightly. You'll get a natural view of the high power's shorter eye relief and still won't be close enough to the scope to get bit.

I still hold to my prediction: this scope will be the Campfire darling by next year's Tax Day Sale (so long as it is durable, decent glass, bold reticle, etc).

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

That may be true... if one shoots from the same static position all the time. You don’t have that option with a “hunting” scope. You need to be able to shoot uphill, downhill, standing, prone, off make-shift rests, left handed, whatever....

Have you personally gotten scope-bit? If so, tell the story and we can diagnose what went wrong.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I'll call BS on this theory.

Have you personally gotten scope-bit? If so, tell the story and we can diagnose what went wrong.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Yeah, but come on, you probably don't use your rifles for lawn darts, dive into foxholes or slip and fall and chuck your rifle over a cliff to save yorself all the time either. A scopes got to be able to take that shyt if you're a "hard charger" you know.

Haha oh ya I’m lucky I kill everything off my couch!!!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Of course I have. I've been at it since 1971. Inferior eye relief sucks, every time, any where.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Of course I have. I've been at it since 1971. Inferior eye relief sucks, every time, any where.
I guess I started shooting in 70 or 71 and I've never been scope bit. Short eye relief is something I've always been aware of and avoided on anything with recoil to speak of though. Saw my dad get bit bad when I was very young and the blood running down his face left an impression on me that has served me well all these years.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Details?

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Steep uphill, unlevel ground, prone.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That would be the worst-case scenario.

How many inches of eye relief do you feel is minimum for safe shooting?

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
That would be the worst-case scenario.

How many inches of eye relief do you feel is minimum for safe shooting?
I know I want alot more on my scoped 12 gauge pump slug gun than I need on my .22's. Eye relief ain't all about what's safe either. Alot is about whether there's enough to position the scope correctly on your rifle without having to resort to some goofy azzed extended rings or picatinny rails.

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 54 invisible), 2,633 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,292
Posts18,525,751
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.