Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Hope that wasn’t Butch’s salmon!!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Tires ad unique flavor

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Hot smoking (smoking/cooking) allows much more flexibility than “cold” smoking. The process even varies just within the state of Alaska since conditions vary a lot. I’ve heard of people from out on the coast - where it may vary between 40s at night upward of 70 during the day with plenty of breeze - and trying to dry and smoke fish where it is both warmer and nearly calm much of the time. They often lose a lot of product or get a very poor outcome. Soured or rancid fish isn’t much good. Neithetr is it fun to deal with flies. We’ve always had our best and easiest outcomes in June when temps are cool, there’s good breeze, and July’s warmer damper days don’t create challenges.

I believe I’d simply go straight to a hot smoke method if my temps are already upwardly-Texan. 😄

I gotta disagree... hot smoking is a cooking method, not a curing method. Once smoked it still requires canning or freezing to prevent spoilage. Cold smoked is good to go.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
Tires ad unique flavor

A flavor you have to 'nique up on to achieve full benefit!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Hope that wasn’t Butch’s salmon!!

Laughing!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Decided to go to my Nephew's wood working shop and let him quarter my Alder. He decided a very big sliding compound miter saw would work best. Got it done is short order. Now I need to find my draw knife to rid the wood of it's bark.

Good move said the nine-fingered to the ten...

wink

Full disclosure... still sporting ten...

wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
We always talked about putting one of our old wood stoves outside and piping in the smoke only. Of course smoke in itself is hot too.

But we never got that far, as we have to run the AC in the smokehouse even in Feb to get the sausage finished.

I have a LOT to have to reverse my brain about soon... worry about smokehouse freezing, Not overheating...

Figuring out what all to add to the power stroke for winter weather... IE has a plug in for cold temps here, but probably need other heaters like battery and such put in and so on..
Bumper for snow blade etc...

Too much to fathom at the moment.

Then will come the first problem. How the hell do I catch all these fish. I"m just a cat fishing person mostly. Little bass thrown in now and then. Have figured out grayling though, cause they are numbers and stupid we figure....

Midnight tonight the Russian River limit goes to 6 per day until the 15th.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
But I'm on the Colorado. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Hot smoking (smoking/cooking) allows much more flexibility than “cold” smoking.

I believe I’d simply go straight to a hot smoke method if my temps are already upwardly-Texan. 😄

I gotta disagree... hot smoking is a cooking method, not a curing method. Once smoked it still requires canning or freezing to prevent spoilage. Cold smoked is good to go.

True, cold smoked is less prone to spoilage after you get the product processed but that assumes you get it processed correctly which seems rather challenging when ambient temps are ideal for spoiling fish. I was referring to the process, not the final product.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Hot smoking (smoking/cooking) allows much more flexibility than “cold” smoking.

True, cold smoked is less prone to spoilage after you get the product processed but that assumes you get it processed correctly which seems rather challenging when ambient temps are ideal for spoiling fish. I was referring to the process, not the final product.

Got ya! Yup, I have seen some spoiled fish.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wow......

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Judman
Wow......

From the clown that put the ugliest fish up ever. Congratulations!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Just WOW..... you could fuuck up a lead ball Arthur.....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just WOW..... you could fuuck up a lead ball Arthur.....

Hey stalker, why don't you get a life? You are an artless, pathetic, half-assed whiner.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Easy now Larry, I mean Arthur.... you've the uncanny habit of making, this and everything else waaaaay harder than needs be.... I smoke my share of fish, therefore I look at said threads.... smoking great fish is easy, kinda like whipping your azz.....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Easy now Larry, I mean Arthur.... you've the uncanny habit of making, this and everything else waaaaay harder than needs be.... I smoke my share of fish, therefore I look at said threads.... smoking great fish is easy, kinda like whipping your azz.....

From all (and very obvious) appearances you have no idea what acceptable fish is, let alone good. And great is so far beyond your ken it is laughable. Just look at your pictures! The fact it is over your head is not surprising.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve been known to smoke a fish or 50...😎

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oh gotcha!!! I know I know you've done thousands of pounds of smoked fish!!!! Feel free to show me what great fish looks like!!! As I'm sure a gut eater taught us!!! Now's where you swing for the fence and tell everyone bear meat is "good"!!!!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beaver just posted good lookin fish. Do I have to bust out my pics?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes! 👍🏻🐟

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 44 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,228
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.