Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I was thinking of a person just wanted a few quality rifles from what I’ve heard a person could probably do much worse than a couple of those being Barrett Fieldcrafts.
I don’t like fluted bolts, think they are ugly but I can live with that. Then I noticed that blind magazine and all I ask is why?
I can not stand blind magazines. I think that’s just a flat out stupid design and always have. That one thing ruined me from even being interested in a Fieldcraft.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
Then I noticed that blind magazine and all I ask is why?

It's a lightweight rifle. If you're going to make a lightweight rifle, you need to remove weight wherever you can.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by smokepole

It's a lightweight rifle. If you're going to make a lightweight rifle, you need to remove weight wherever you can.

I understand that. I was being sarcastic. How much more would it weigh if it didn’t have a blind magazine?

Last edited by ridgerunner_ky; 07/03/18.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I was thinking of a person just wanted a few quality rifles from what I’ve heard a person could probably do much worse than a couple of those being Barrett Fieldcrafts.
I don’t like fluted bolts, think they are ugly but I can live with that. Then I noticed that blind magazine and all I ask is why?
I can not stand blind magazines. I think that’s just a flat out stupid design and always have. That one thing ruined me from even being interested in a Fieldcraft.

If only it came in at around 8 pounds....

laissez les bons temps rouler
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I understand that. I was being sarcastic. How much more would it weigh if it didn’t have a blind magazine?

About the same or 1-2 oz more.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That doesn't make sense. The Ruger Number 1V I just sold didn't have any magazine at all, and it was the heaviest rifle I owned, about 9 pounds.

I thought the people here were supposed to know a lot.

What fresh Hell is this?
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
There is Very little if any weight added with aluminum bottom metal on a bolt action rifle so the saving weight excuss is a little thin IMO.......Hb

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
There is Very little if any weight added with aluminum bottom metal on a bolt action rifle so the saving weight excuss is a little thin IMO.......Hb

You could continue to nickel and dime these up to 7lbs if you take that approach.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by ammoman16
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

You could continue to nickel and dime these up to 7lbs if you take that approach.

Ha! Yes you could add a bull barrel and make them an 8lb rifle but I thought we were talking about blind magazines vs hinged floorplates, I doubt adding an aluminum trap door to a fieldcraft bolt action rifle would add any weight......Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I like not having extra holes around the magazine and action, especially along the area most prone to dirt, mud, water, snow, and slush, hard use etc.
I like them sealed up.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I find it funny this is such a point of contention for folks. I have blind mag boxes, bottom metals, and even box magazines. They all work just fine for my uses. But I guess I just am lucky like that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Blind magazines make the stock stiffer. In addition to making rifles that do not weigh much they also wanted them to be accurate. If you want bottom metal and an accurate rifle they will have to stiffen it somehow... there goes a lot more than the extra weight from the bottom metal.

I always figured poachers were the only ones that need to unload in a hurry!
wink

As for detachable box magazines; the first guy you see wondering where his only magazine went early in a remote hunt will explain it for you.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah I like all configurations of magazines but some better than others, my favorite and most handy type is an inline/single stack type detachable box magazine, (ala Plastikka or X-bolt) push feed rifles load slick as snot with these and damn if they aint handy for reloading, I have used them for years and never lost a mag in the woods, I guess you'd still have a single shot at that point, but i always keep a fully loaded spare mag in my vest pocket, very handy and super fast for reloading if you happen to shoot your rifle dry...Lol 👍......Hb

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Maybe Barrett and others should offer a model with a floor plate and one without. I’d buy one if it had a floor plate. Where I hunt we ride in and out on atvs and can’t have loaded guns while doing so. Rarely hunt with my Forbes for the sole fact of loading and unloading that blind mag so much.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Maybe because my 1sr rifle, and the one I hunted with most of my life was a 700 ADL but I don't feel a blind magazine is at all a handicap. It makes for a less expensive lighter rifle, The stock is stiffer. It is less complicated and more reliable. I've had rifles with floorplates open and dump my ammo on the ground. I've had ice freeze up floorplates and they wouldn't open until thawed out. It doesn't take any longer to load one and only 2-3 seconds longer to unload.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Blind magazines are my choice. Started with one in the early seventies and it's all I use. However on the Fieldcraft, I wish they offered a shorter LOP. Has anyone shortened them? I like 13 1/4 to 3/8. Maybe their ergo's overcome the long length.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
I find it funny this is such a point of contention for folks. I have blind mag boxes, bottom metals, and even box magazines. They all work just fine for my uses. But I guess I just am lucky like that.

Also hammers and safeties that swing to or fro or go side to side. No big deal to me.

Last edited by Pappy348; 07/04/18. Reason: Remove brain fart

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by JMR40
Maybe because my 1sr rifle, and the one I hunted with most of my life was a 700 ADL but I don't feel a blind magazine is at all a handicap. It makes for a less expensive lighter rifle, The stock is stiffer. It is less complicated and more reliable. I've had rifles with floorplates open and dump my ammo on the ground. I've had ice freeze up floorplates and they wouldn't open until thawed out. It doesn't take any longer to load one and only 2-3 seconds longer to unload.

My first rifle which I still own was a Mod 700 ADL 243. Inherited from my grandpa. It was more then likely the last rifle he ever bought. My dad had a BDL 243 at the time. I just always thought it was silly having too partially work the bolt too unload each individual cartridge.
And that fluted bolt I just think is hideous. I also feel the same way about fluted barrels.
Too each his own I guess.

Last edited by ridgerunner_ky; 07/04/18.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Is the Kimber Montana a blind magazine?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Is the Kimber Montana a blind magazine?

Yes.

I like a blind mag, especially on a slim rifle, for carry. I'm simple though. Have plenty of floorplates and have ventured into detachable mags, and they work fine, but slim and trim blind mags are nice for the hunting I do.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,797 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,968
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.