Print Thread
Hop To
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
About 3 years ago I acquired a Sako AV Hunter 270 with a nice walnut stock in almost like new condition. I mounted a Zeiss Conquest scope that I picked up new for $299, loaded up some 130 accubonds pushed with 55 grains of H4831SC and the rifle put 3 shots touching at 100 yds. I moved out to 200 and put 3 shots into .620 than put the rifle away and haven't touched it since. I've since been in limbo as to using the rifle to hunt because it's a bit on the heavy side and not to mention I really hate to bang this rifle up when I have a Tikka T3 just for that purpose. However yesterday I got the rifle out to give it quick wipe down, decided to pull the scope off and played around a bit shouldering the rifle aiming at various objects using the open sights. This rifle seems to fit me and getting on target came natural even beyond 100 yds. Minus the scope and heavy sako rings the weight is less than my scopes tikka's and so would be nice to carry on an all day hike.

I'm seriously thinking about working up another load with 150 partition and Reloader 26 and using the rifle to do an open sights elk hunt this fall. What do you fellas think I should do?

Thanks in advance

PS: One reason I took the scope off is because I really didn't want to have to do the mandatory throw my rifle on the rocks 24 hour campfire scope test. Not to mention my aiming device will now kick the schit outta Nightforce or SWFA concerning durability! 😁

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 07/02/18.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
If that's what your heart desires, then you should go ahead.

Millions of big game animals have been taken with iron sights. Amazing, when today anything larger than 1/2" groups won't work.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I shoot my pre 64-264 Win mag with open sights for fun sometimes. With good light, a deer out to a hundred better watch out!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I am all for old school! Our fathers worked with it and were pretty successful at feeding the family.
If it was me I might think about a receiver sight for it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Get your self one of thos sako peep sights.....

IC B2

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Was looking into a peep sight for the receiver. Those things are spendy I assume because it's for Sako. I love there rifles but what they want for rings and peeps is ridiculous. Maybe I will find one for a reasonable deal.

Last edited by Trystan; 07/04/18.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
When I was a kid the first couple of rifles I had only had irons. Most we upgraded to a Lyman peep sites. Being young sharp of eye and with quick reflexes I made some of my best shots on running game with those rifles, ones I wouldn't even consider now. I would remove the aperture for a sort of ghost ring and with lots of practice on jack rabbits a running dear was not out of the question. Since going to scopes now I won't even attempt a full speed running shot unless everything is perfect which it seldom is.

I would see if the NECGG could be adapted. The Lyman I wouldn't want to carve up a nice stock unless that was a permanent install.

I would go old school with the 160 partition and this would be good for Elk in timber or any type of still hunting.

I would give Tally a call to see if their peep and"daptar" bass combo might work and hopefully not look to cobbled up.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
If that's what your heart desires, then you should go ahead.

Millions of big game animals have been taken with iron sights. Amazing, when today anything larger than 1/2" groups won't work.

+1 on this notion. The contest is what you make it. If you've got the eyes for irons and your targets show you can get it done, go for it.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Check EBay

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Agree with the Tally suggestion

vires,fortitudo,vigilantia
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,969 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,849
Posts18,478,447
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.