Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
That would be the worst-case scenario.

How many inches of eye relief do you feel is minimum for safe shooting?

I like 3.5 'ish.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I like 3.5 'ish.

3.5-4.0" Is what I like.I see a lot of people setting kids up with short eye relief scopes because they usually go cheap setting up guns for kids.Bad move,nobody likes getting slapped by a scope.You will likely develop poor shooting skills and a flinch.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you've never been scope bitten, you're either shooting VERY heavy rifles, or not hunting much... both my cases of "magnum eyebrow" came in the field in hunting positions.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've never been scope bitten and don't own a rifle all up over 8.5 pounds, most in the 7-7.5 pound range. I've been in the woods a time or two...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Or you have the scope mounted so far forward that under any condition other than max stock crawl and minimum magnification the view is reminiscent of that through a paper towel tube.

IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’ve been hit my fair share. Not fun. Usually when goofing around with some odd angle field position shot.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Is the DD scope exam over with? Did I pass?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GregW
I've never been scope bitten and don't own a rifle all up over 8.5 pounds, most in the 7-7.5 pound range. I've been in the woods a time or two...

Me too Greg, 338's, 338 RUM that was light had a habit of bouncing off peoples face, but never mine...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Judman

Me too Greg, 338's, 338 RUM that was light had a habit of bouncing off peoples face, but never mine...

Maybe your (and GregW's) glass is scared of you guys ugly mugs..........it's possible......I've seen pics.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Judman

Maybe your (and GregW's) glass is scared of you guys ugly mugs..........it's possible......I've seen pics.

Haha! Im not saying I'm cooler or better than anyone, just never happened to me. God damn I swear everytime Jim Shockey shoots a critter hes bleeding!! haha

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The couple of times it happened to me it didn't even draw blood. Maybe because I"m hard headed. True about Shockey...ha!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Brad
If you've never been scope bitten, you're either shooting VERY heavy rifles, or not hunting much... both my cases of "magnum eyebrow" came in the field in hunting positions.
Not everybody hunts like you. I shoot most of my critters offhand, once in awhile from a kneeling or sitting position and have never shot anything from prone rested over a pack. Rarely do I take a shot from a prone position even when varmint hunting {woodchucks here} shooting most from a sitting position with bipod. I do shoot up alot at tree squirrels but that's mostly with a .22 rimfire.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Or you have the scope mounted so far forward that under any condition other than max stock crawl and minimum magnification the view is reminiscent of that through a paper towel tube.
I reckon you guys that get whacked are just suffering from tunnel vision so bad when you're about to shoot at a critter you aren't aware of what you're doing. I think it's called buck fever by some folks.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Exam over. Pass but with only a D on the report card.

A correctly mounted scope wouldn't have bit ya.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Thank God. If you'll send me your address I'll send my rifles up to you so you can get them set correctly for me. Please? I did not realize that every time someone gets scopebitten, it's because the scope isn't mounted correctly. I've got it now though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Too funny... I'm a "stock crawler" so all my scopes are set about as far forward as possible, and all have generous eye relief.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never got scope eyed,but I have had my nose bumped a couple of times shooting a 300 Win Mag with a scope that had barely over 3" of eye relief.Didn't hurt,but it's enough to make you think about it each time I shot at the bench.Changed to a scope with 4" of eye relief and that problem went away.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What it boils down to for me, is could jeff_o maintain proper ear weld on the recoil pad given the eye relief and mounting area of this scope.....................................

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I've been scope bit, and I've puked (cheap) scopes for unknown reasons(s). The minimum distance I'm comfortable with on a rifle with a good amount of recoil is 3.5" at least.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Thank God. If you'll send me your address I'll send my rifles up to you so you can get them set correctly for me. Please? I did not realize that every time someone gets scopebitten, it's because the scope isn't mounted correctly. I've got it now though.

Ahh....I'll come down to your place for free and set them up, just show me where a couple muleys happen to live!

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (BamBam, 44mc, 7887mm08, 300_savage, 35, 7mm_Loco, 10 invisible), 1,767 guests, and 1,001 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,485
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.