Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I was just messing around Greg. I've become very fond of using an AR when we go on a pig whacking weekend.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Send it to me and I'll run it on a Model Seven and a Kimber Montana. It'll work just fine.

Mini scope mounting has two drawbacks that you ran into: can't get it low unless you remove the peep sight, and the rear mount base is further forward than on any bolt action. Both work against a short eye relief scope.

Do you have a short-action bolt gun that you can mount it on and take a pic?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Send it to me and I'll run it on a Model Seven and a Kimber Montana. It'll work just fine.

Mini scope mounting has two drawbacks that you ran into: can't get it low unless you remove the peep sight, and the rear mount base is further forward than on any bolt action. Both work against a short eye relief scope.

It won't matter though,as many will use a one piece mount on top of the rail that will allow a good bit more adjustment. It should be fine as long as it doesn't get in the way of your charging handle,and the smaller eye piece would help there.

I will reserve judgment on whether I can use one or not until I see one in hand. Regardless,more eye relief,even at the penalty of a larger eye piece would have been preferable to me. It would seem that SWFA is continuing in the tradition of giving us ,not what we want at all,but what they believe will work well.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

I didn't say I wanted to get rid of it. I actually said it was a nice little scope if you read my post. You are right, it should work on a short action bolt gun. The front ring will likely be right up against the ocular bell but it will probably work. Also many rifles now have picatinneys and that would work.

Last edited by scottfromdallas; 07/06/18.

Scott
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The question remains: what does it have that makes it a good buy for me (collective me)? So far, all we know is that it is a very light variable that tops out at 10x. Reliability, durability, glass, and tracking are all unknowns. At $300 ($349, not on sale), it faces a lot of competition from others that weight just a few ounces more and have established reputations, good or bad.

Thanks for taking one for the team and starting the process. That Mini ought to give it a good workout. Before they added the buffer, they were considered scope killers. I'd like to know what the eye relief is at 6x.

I put a rail on the Howa Mini I bought for my grandson to use while he's small, just for the mounting flexibility. Right now it's got a scope on it but if he can't get a good view through it, I'll put a Vortex Sparc II on the rail until he can.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Pappy348
The question remains: what does it have that makes it a good buy for me (collective me)? So far, all we know is that it is a very light variable that tops out at 10x. Reliability, durability, glass, and tracking are all unknowns. At $300 ($349, not on sale), it faces a lot of competition from others that weight just a few ounces more and have established reputations, good or bad.

Thanks for taking one for the team and starting the process. That Mini ought to give it a good workout. Before they added the buffer, they were considered scope killers. I'd like to know what the eye relief is at 6x.

I put a rail on the Howa Mini I bought for my grandson to use while he's small, just for the mounting flexibility. Right now it's got a scope on it but if he can't get a good view through it, I'll put a Vortex Sparc II on the rail until he can.

Why don't you just buy one, put it on a rifle,and put 500 rounds thru it,and then report back in a couple of months with your findings. Beats all the hand wringing on this thread. Many here over think things too much, and shoot too little.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by atse

Why don't you just buy one, put it on a rifle,and put 500 rounds thru it,and then report back in a couple of months with your findings. Beats all the hand wringing on this thread. Many here over think things too much, and shoot too little.

It's a rare thing for someone to be banned on this site but spouting such heresy puts you at risk.....

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I was just messing around Greg. I've become very fond of using an AR when we go on a pig whacking weekend.

Oh I know bud. Just a general comment I made....

It's shot every single bullet I've ever run into itty bitty groups way out there. And it's a 223....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Simple; I don't need a scope of any sort just now with three "good" ones sitting idle, and this one's specs don't cut it for me, so I'd be doing it just to find out something I don't need to know. For $300, I could get three Hawke Endurance 2-7s (4.5 inches of ER) from Doug, and know what I was getting into. You go ahead though, since it seems important to you.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Scott, could you compare the glass to any other scope? Worse than x or better than y.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Simple; I don't need a scope of any sort just now with three "good" ones sitting idle, and this one's specs don't cut it for me, so I'd be doing it just to find out something I don't need to know. For $300, I could get three Hawke Endurance 2-7s (4.5 inches of ER) from Doug, and know what I was getting into. You go ahead though, since it seems important to you.

Nope . I won't ever own another sfp scope, but I did the exact thing I told you to do with the ss 3x15. Bought one when they first came out,and have shot the crap out of it ever since. Piles of critters and lots of lr steel. Same with the 3x9. I can make confident assertions on both. The reason, I have shot them alot. ,way more than typing about them

Last edited by atse; 07/06/18.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by GregW
I've thought about building an ultralight AR for mountain hunting for no other reason than to do it....

I can get it no more than 7.5 pounds work scope....

The most accurate rifle I own is an AR-15, custom....

It is 117F in the shade here, so it was a nice quiet day at the range with all the snowflakes hiding indoors.

I set up the production SS UL on my 223 AR and put about a 100 rounds downrange. 20 or so from the bench and the rest standing, sitting, etc.

As configured, with the scope and silng, but no magazines, it is 7.6lbs:
[Linked Image]

The receivers, BCG and the barrel are not lightweighted, soIf I really wanted to build a dedicated ultralight AR, I can probably get it to weigh around 6lbs together with this scope.

One interesting thing to keep in mind is that with its eye relief as is, you do not have to use a one piece mount. There is plenty of rail space to use a two ring set-up. I do not have any 1" rings of appropriate height, but I will be getting one on order shortly. For now, it is in an ultralight mount that I am not a big fan of, but it works well enough.

ILya

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nice....

I suspect you are in the Phoenix area....

I'm not too far SE of you if so....

- Greg

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I am on the outskirts of Los Angeles, Greg.

Here is a summary of my first impressions with some pictures:
http://opticsthoughts.com/?p=2258

ILya

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
So SWFA is adding a BDC reticle? That's the first step in the right direction. Now they just need to give it functional eye relief.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by koshkin
Originally Posted by GregW
I've thought about building an ultralight AR for mountain hunting for no other reason than to do it....

I can get it no more than 7.5 pounds work scope....

The most accurate rifle I own is an AR-15, custom....

It is 117F in the shade here, so it was a nice quiet day at the range with all the snowflakes hiding indoors.

I set up the production SS UL on my 223 AR and put about a 100 rounds downrange. 20 or so from the bench and the rest standing, sitting, etc.

As configured, with the scope and silng, but no magazines, it is 7.6lbs:
[Linked Image]

The receivers, BCG and the barrel are not lightweighted, soIf I really wanted to build a dedicated ultralight AR, I can probably get it to weigh around 6lbs together with this scope.

One interesting thing to keep in mind is that with its eye relief as is, you do not have to use a one piece mount. There is plenty of rail space to use a two ring set-up. I do not have any 1" rings of appropriate height, but I will be getting one on order shortly. For now, it is in an ultralight mount that I am not a big fan of, but it works well enough.

ILya

I may buy one for my Colt 6720. It does have the ultralight barrel. That would free up the Kahles CL 2-7 I use on it now for a different light weight rifle.

Can anyone tell me the name of this forearm? I have seen them on rifles and thought it might be nice for my Colt.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by koshkin
I am on the outskirts of Los Angeles, Greg.

Here is a summary of my first impressions with some pictures:
http://opticsthoughts.com/?p=2258

ILya

Maybe I was a bit confident in my locale, should have said desert Southwest....

- Greg

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
R H Clark ,Probably a brigand arms hand guard

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Nope . I won't ever own another sfp scope, but I did the exact thing I told you to do with the ss 3x15. Bought one when they first came out,and have shot the crap out of it ever since. Piles of critters and lots of lr steel. Same with the 3x9. I can make confident assertions on both. The reason, I have shot them alot. ,way more than typing about them

Yep. That 3-9 is impressive, but its price is close enough to the SHV, which is a better hunter IMHO, that I'd likely go with that instead. The 3-9 is on sale now, which would be tempting, if I had any money left, which I don't this month.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by bcraig
R H Clark ,Probably a brigand arms hand guard

Appreciate it.

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (160user, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,360
Posts18,527,169
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.