Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This oryx says differently. Photos shot in a national park in Namibia.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oryx aren't afraid of much.

Where I used to control predators out on a govt missile range, some of the guys out there saw an oryx with a mountain lion stuck on his horns. They said it carried the lion around for a few days before it came off.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, I've repeatedly heard the Gemsbok is the most deadly accurate animals with their horns in all of Africa, that Oryx could have shish-ka-bobbed that damn runt if it wanted.

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The badger's been smokin too much pot or something. Why on Earth would that thing take on something with that kind of head gear?

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Must be a young inexperienced Honey Badger, they usually go for the gonads.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
The badger's been smokin too much pot or something. Why on Earth would that thing take on something with that kind of head gear?

That's their survival strategy, i.e., utter fearlessness in the face of death. As a result of this attitude, most large predators steer way clear of them if they've had even one past experience with one.

In fact, this is why baby cheetahs have a color pattern matching a honey badger, i.e., to steal the benefit that species has earned with its ferocity in the face of death, i.e., when large predators see cheetah cubs from a distance away, they will believe they are seeing some honey badgers, and will take a different route to their destination so as to give them a wide berth, thus reinforcing the color pattern in juvenile cheetahs (i.e., those cheetahs that don't produce offspring with that color pattern will have a greater degree of trouble raising offspring to adulthood, and will be less able to pass that survival disadvantage to the next generation).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Where I used to control predators out on a govt missile range, some of the guys out there saw an oryx with a mountain lion stuck on his horns. They said it carried the lion around for a few days before it came off.

Eight years ago on MacGregor there was one with a coyote skewered on his horns. The game wardens tried to find it but by the time they did the coyote corpse had fallen off.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
A couple of people in this thread mentioned oryx in the context of American predators (mountain lion and coyote). Aren't oryx African animals? What are they doing in North America with mountain lions and coyotes?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
A couple of people in this thread mentioned oryx in the context of American predators (mountain lion and coyote). Aren't oryx African animals? What are they doing in North America with mountain lions and coyotes?

White sands Missle Range has had oryx for quite a while.

A bit more than 8 years ago (maybe 15?) I had a tag and saw a skewered coyote on an oryx.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
They've been imported for hunting and/or game parks. I'm told that quite a few game ranches in TX have them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Huh. You wouldn't think introducing invasive species would be permitted. Don't we have enough native species of ungulates for hunting?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

....killing them evidently....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Huh. You wouldn't think introducing invasive species would be permitted. Don't we have enough native species of ungulates for hunting?

Thr where have you been the last 50 years or so?
You can hunt african plains game through out the south west US,
And I heard there is a game farm in Florida with huntable cape buffalo

Last edited by deerstalker; 07/06/18.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Eight years ago on MacGregor there was one with a coyote skewered on his horns. The game wardens tried to find it but by the time they did the coyote corpse had fallen off.

This was on MacGregor as well. Couple of the Range Riders there were telling me about it. Those old guys were pretty salty. They did away with them now.

The military is really using MacGregor more and more. I've seen some pretty interesting stuff out there. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Here's the history of them there.

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/download/education/conservation/wildlife-notes/mammals/oryx.pdf

They migrate too.

Killed some on the Texas ranch in Hudspeth Co. (No season, no bag limit in Texas. Non Game animal.)

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Archaeologist son spent one whole summer doing surveys all over White Sands. Said the were tripping over gemsbok everytime they turned around. Only other thing thet saw in abundance was hunters looking for em. And being asked if they had seen any! LOL. Said they usually did 15-20 miles a day on foot.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

That's their survival strategy, i.e., utter fearlessness in the face of death. As a result of this attitude, most large predators steer way clear of them if they've had even one past experience with one.

In fact, this is why baby cheetahs have a color pattern matching a honey badger, i.e., to steal the benefit that species has earned with its ferocity in the face of death, i.e., when large predators see cheetah cubs from a distance away, they will believe they are seeing some honey badgers, and will take a different route to their destination so as to give them a wide berth, thus reinforcing the color pattern in juvenile cheetahs (i.e., those cheetahs that don't produce offspring with that color pattern will have a greater degree of trouble raising offspring to adulthood, and will be less able to pass that survival disadvantage to the next generation).

Thank you for your reply. I never knew any of that. You learn something new everyday.

Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I took this picture in 2017 inside a high fence in South Texas when I was there for a pig hunt. It's a magnificent animal. About the size of a horse.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by StoneCutter; 07/06/18.

Ronald Reagan
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

I took this picture in 2017 inside a high fence in South Texas when I was there for a pig hunt. It's a magnificent animal. About the size of a large horse.

[Linked Image]

Looks like something on a cave painting.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Last time I was down to Rio7’s we were out looking for pigs and spotted a bunch of buzzards and the smell of death. We were all prepared for a human body but we found a gemsbok that had been killed in a fight with another gemsbok.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 1234, 163bc, 60 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,574
Posts18,491,964
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.