Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
With a +P .45 ACP, 185 Gold Dot or 185 XTP. which one would you select for hogs? I also have 200 gr. XTP's to try. That's assuming they all shot about the same sized groups.

DF

The 185 XTP’s that I’ve got loaded in 45 Super have a harder core than do the 230 XTP’s and the hollow point is not nearly as deep as the 230. The 185’s that I have hold up very well at 45 Super speeds 1300 GPS. I’d certainly shoot a hog with them.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I'm not sure about the 185 XTP, but would lean towards the 200 XTP based on my own experience with it.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Yondering
I'm not sure about the 185 XTP, but would lean towards the 200 XTP based on my own experience with it.

I haven’t used the 200 XTP. I haven’t used the 185 XTP in the 45 ACP +P loading but they hold up exceptionally well at 45 Super speeds, they may be a bit hard for normal velocities.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've found XTP's to be some of the most accurate bullets in other rounds, such as the 10 mm. They are hard and would be good choices for penetration.

I will check out the Gold Dots/

DF

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I've found XTP's to be some of the most accurate bullets in other rounds, such as the 10 mm. They are hard and would be good choices for penetration.

I will check out the Gold Dots/

DF

The 200 XTP over a +P charge of Power Pistol has been consistently one of the most accurate loads in all of my 45 pistols, not just the 1911.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have Power Pistol and Longshot. I'm thinking AA-7 may be a good one with less flash.

As soon as I get the parts installed in the 1911, I'll swap the 550B from 10 mm to ACP and go to work.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gunner500
BTW, iirc JWP says that 45 cal 185 gr XTP is a tough little customer, really good penetration and wound channels.

My gunsmith just told me he thought the Speer Gold Dot was even harder than the XTP. His idea was the Gold Dot may penetrate better on pigs, the XTP penetrating and expanding on WT's.

Just another opinion, but this guy is pretty sharp; he's a retired SWAT sniper and trained armorer.

He just fitted my Glock 40 MOS with tall Supressor Trijicon sights to co-witness the Trijicon RM-06. Those sights do make finding the red dot a LOT faster.

DF

Your 'Smith may have been suffering from dyslexia that day, happens to all us old guys. grin

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
BTW, iirc JWP says that 45 cal 185 gr XTP is a tough little customer, really good penetration and wound channels.

My gunsmith just told me he thought the Speer Gold Dot was even harder than the XTP. His idea was the Gold Dot may penetrate better on pigs, the XTP penetrating and expanding on WT's.

Just another opinion, but this guy is pretty sharp; he's a retired SWAT sniper and trained armorer.

He just fitted my Glock 40 MOS with tall Supressor Trijicon sights to co-witness the Trijicon RM-06. Those sights do make finding the red dot a LOT faster.

DF

Your 'Smith may have been suffering from dyslexia that day, happens to all us old guys. grin

He's getting there. Retired from SWAT last year.

Seems all my friends are old farts. Now, how did that happen...?

You being the exception, of course... grin

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

DF

He's getting there. Retired from SWAT last year.

DF

LOL, you better gas on it, I'm about to catch you! grin

I've always had nicknames for the bullets I shoot, gold dots-bonded splat masters, XTP's-deep death punchers, Barnes TAC-HP's-buzzsaws ;]

The gold dots have always expanded wider for me and never penetrated as deep as the other two mentioned.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

DF

Getting to be an old fart is better than not getting to be an old fart.

Last edited by doubletap; 05/11/18.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by doubletap

DF

Getting to be an old fart is better than not getting to be an old fart.

Amen.

A lot of my friends are no longer in line for birthdays..

My goal is to stay on the green side of the grass as long as I can.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
New life for an old thread.

I recently made some upgrades to my custom '50's vintage commercial 1911: 17# Wilson flat spring, Wilson flat bottom firing pin stop, Wilson heavier firing pin spring, kept the full power factory main spring. I've been shooting +P .45 ACP loads, 185 XTP's with Longshot. Accurate and not that bad to shoot.

The slide was done in the late '60's by a gunsmith buddy, back when S&W sights were the rage. He fitted a Micro barrel bushing, tightened the slide and barrel lock up. I had built the frame unit, using a Commander hammer and custom parts. I checkered the front strap, stippled the part I couldn't checker, sent it for hard chrome. Of course, the trigger is excellent... cool

It sat in the safe for years, was brought out after the discussion here on +P and Super loads for the .45 ACP. I had been working with my 10mm Glock 40 with RMR optics. This gun is more accurate and the power level is pretty close. And, with iron sights vs Trijicon optics. Of course, the Colt trigger is a heap better than the Glock, even after a Glock trained armorer's best efforts. My trigger is better than his, but this wasn't exactly a level playing field... grin

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like it Dirtfarmer.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, Sarge.

Looking back, going with the 10mm may not have been necessary. Taking the .45 ACP to full potential just about does the same thing, even beyond the 10mm, if one goes full out with the Super. The +P is enough for me and this gun handles those rounds without any signs of stress.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Cool old piece DF, you need to strap that one on and use it for finishers on any deer or pigs that may need one this season. cool

Trump Won!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Cool old piece DF, you need to strap that one on and use it for finishers on any deer or pigs that may need one this season. cool

Finisher?
Why not just stoke it up and introduce it to Piggy von Piggerson? 😀

It’ll work solo!

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Yep.

I have a Bianchi military type holster and web belt.

Those 185 XTP's pack a punch when you get them moving fast enough. I have some 200's to try, but really like the 185's.

DF

Edited to add, you're right K9. Good porker medicine all by itself and the loads I'm shooting pack plenty of punch. Those XTP's will definitely do the deed.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/05/18.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Well, I read this whole thread. Some good points and a lot of crap.

You .45 Super Boys are tearing your fine 1911 guns up.

Shoot more and you will find this out. Long ago I went that route.

You want a 1911 hunting gun ? Spend $300.00 and do it right.

.460 Rowland.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I’m not planning to push this gun to the limit, not to the Super level, just +P.

I won’t shoot it enough to hurt it.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by NH K9

Finisher?
Why not just stoke it up and introduce it to Piggy von Piggerson? 😀

It’ll work solo!

LOL, I believe you did just that by putting three of my old carry load through a 300 lb Tennessee porker. smile

DF, the 185 XTP's are tough little basturds, JWP475 has done a lot of testing with them, they even hold up well at 45 Super speeds, they'd be even better at +P 45 ACP levels.

Gibby, I've resisted the temptation to 'Super' my Les Baer, it's just fine as is, 185 Barnes' at 1125, and 230 gr Gold Dots at 965 should get all I need done with a 45 ACP, not to mention the 230 gr Nosler and Hornady FMJ-FP's at 950, those are pretty good little hole punchers.

Trump Won!
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1234, 1minute, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,557
Posts18,491,741
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.