Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I see some are starting to use detachable magazines. I bought a 700 on Gunbroker and changed mine back to "old" style BDL again.

There's a 264 700 on Gunbroker right now. If it wasn't an after marker detachable magazine I'd be all over it. What's your opinion on detachable magazines.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
The tacticool ones are stupid. The tikka/savage etc are ok if you like that style. I prefer an adl. Nothing to break or goof up when I need it.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have one rifle with and one without. less things to lose or go wrong without.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Went praire dog shooting , friends son dropped detach-mag down a PD hole within the first few minutes - no spare magazine .

I read how some competitions go through an unloading process during a Match and ADL/BDL bottom metal doesn't cut it , so DBM is the ticket .
Me I'm a hunter so DBM is something to chance losing . I like the flush bottom metal BDL but prefer the ADL above all .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have always figured that was just something to lose. Either that, or something to have trouble putting in if in a hurry.

A fixed magazine has never, not a single time in more than fifty years, not held enough. Always had a few left in there when the excitement died down.

Ted

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I could appreciate a quality DM setup, especially if I'm driving my vehicle to multiple glassing spots. Quicker and easier to load the rifle after getting out of the truck. Not a huge deal, more of a convenience.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I prefer a floor plate. But the sako 85 mags are top notch compared to many on the market today.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I used to have a negative view of them. Until I bought a rifle that used them and found that most of the things I worried about would never happen. I've since bought more. A few things I've learned. It makes it less expensive to manufacture an accurate rifle. The detachable magazines are a big reason why we see less expensive rifles like Tikka, Ruger American, TC Encore, Savage Axis, and others that shoot better than many rifles costing double. Not having to get the stock to fit perfectly around an internal magazine is part of it. Having a solid top makes the action stiffer, and those can't be top loaded requiring a detachable magazine..

I'm not concerned about mag capacity on a bolt gun. In fact the standard Tikka magazine or the AI style magazines used on the Ruger Predators only hold 3 rounds. Both companies make 5 round magazines that don't protrude far enough to be a problem to me. The single stack 10 round mags start to be a problem. My Tikka CTR came with a 10 round double stack magazine. Once I got used to it, it isn't a problem.

The downside is the cost of spare magazines, and I'd not own a gun that took detachable mags and not have spares. The Ruger and Tikka T-3 mags run $35-$40 each which is way more than they should sell for. If I can buy an AR magazine for $13 there is no reason for them to charge that much. But considering the money saved on the rifle helps offset that to a degree. The CTR magazines can be $100+ from some sources, I bought one spare for $70.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I like the detachable magazines that the Tikka T3 comes with. Have hunted with the T3 for many years and never had any problem whatsoever.

Recently I carry two different magazines loaded with different bullets at least with one rifle. I have one magazine loaded with 130 accubonds that are my out to 400 yds load and my spare carries 147 eld hornadies that I use for 400 to 700 yds. Easy to do with detachable mags.....not so easy without. My 130 accubond load and 147 eld load hit almost identical out to 500 yds

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I must admit I have thoughts about this issue. let me see , last count I have 3 with detachable not counting ar's and a batch of handguns. so I guess put me on the + side. I have had my first steyr sense about1975 or so. still have the original mag and the 3 others I got for , just in case! yep, put in the for them side.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't much care for them in general myself, but have somehow managed to acquire a couple rifles so-equipped lately because of other factors in their favor, including a Howa Mini I picked up Saturday. Already have plans to improve one of them by sending it to an outfit that will shorten it and reconfigure the guard.

I'd be much less opposed to ones that fit flush, load from the top, and allow single-loading easily.

All this is for my use, of course. Everyone needs to decide what works best for themselves. One size doesn't always fit all.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Have all three (ADL, BDL and DBM). I prefer the round bottom to "palm" a rifle as well. So, the only DBM I have are first gen HS Precision with the flush bottom magazines. The easy solution to losing a DBM Mag in the field is to ensure that you have more than one with you. Have at least 3 magazines for each DBM rifle that I own. Take at least two with me when I go into the field.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Get an AR if you want to be able to shoot a bunch of shots. I say that and I have two Savages with 10 round magazines. Both 6.5 Creedmoor’

Last edited by hanco; 07/06/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It shouldn't surprise anyone that the traditional guys will say they don't like them.

The fact they have likely never handled a hunting rifle with an aics dbm makes it funny.

I dig the couple sporter builds I've done with them. Super handy and allowed for some COAL flexibility.

They aint for everyone most certainly, but I'd bet money some of you guys would change your minds if you actually got to handle a nicely done build with one.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like them.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I have 7 rifles with DM's. I like them.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JMR40
I used to have a negative view of them. Until I bought a rifle that used them and found that most of the things I worried about would never happen. I've since bought more.

I'm not concerned about mag capacity on a bolt gun. In fact the standard Tikka magazine or the AI style magazines used on the Ruger Predators only hold 3 rounds.

Yep. I’ve been using DMs for MANY yrs. first on 22 r f then on C Fs.
I’ve never dropped one. I’ve never left one at home or elsewhere. The mag
STAYS in the rifle.

It’s quicker to UNload a rifle and MUCH safer than cycling rounds thru the action.
I DEtest blind mags.

Originally Posted by Trystan
I like the detachable magazines that the Tikka T3 comes with. Have hunted with the T3 for many years and never had any problem
whatsoever.

I don’t buy Xtra capacity mags. I don’t need Xtra rounds in the rifle.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Trystan
I like the detachable magazines that the Tikka T3 comes with. Have hunted with the T3 for many years and never had any problem whatsoever.

Recently I carry two different magazines loaded with different bullets at least with one rifle. I have one magazine loaded with 130 accubonds that are my out to 400 yds load and my spare carries 147 eld hornadies that I use for 400 to 700 yds. Easy to do with detachable mags.....not so easy without. My 130 accubond load and 147 eld load hit almost identical out to 500 yds

Trystan

🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂. Post up a picture of some of the kills you have made and please include which ammo and range. LOL. So [bleep] funny I’m rolling laughing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Higbean
It shouldn't surprise anyone that the traditional guys will say they don't like them.

The fact they have likely never handled a hunting rifle with an aics dbm makes it funny.

I dig the couple sporter builds I've done with them. Super handy and allowed for some COAL flexibility.

They aint for everyone most certainly, but I'd bet money some of you guys would change your minds if you actually got to handle a nicely done build with one.

Agree, I have both kinds of rifles but the DBM does give more options certainly. Neither style is gonna make or break a hunt. I can always single feed as a last resort, its not like I am going home without a game animal if you lose a mag if I had a single feed rifle. Heck some guys somehow get it done with a muzzle loader or bow and arrow.

I'll take the extra COAL allowances I get from DBM without binder plates as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You do realize you don't need to fully chamber rounds to unload a blind magazine, right?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (160user, 16gage, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,797 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,304
Posts18,526,043
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.