Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12931920 06/19/18
rogn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just tried a search on lens pens and found everything but lens pens. I was wondering just what the informed opinion is on them. I can understand the brush being essential to ridding the lens of grit that might cause scratching, but I wonder if its 100% effective. Then to follow that up with the little pad just seems to me to be so similar to the shirttail/handkerchief method. Is the pen just for field maintenance or can it be used with impunity. Or should i just stick with lens cleaner and lens paper?

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
They are extremely handy. Personally I still opt for Butler creeks to keep debris at bay and certainly to a minimum. However have several lens pens to maintain my camera lenses and optics.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I prefer to blow the dust and particle debris off of my optics lenses with canned air when I'm at home, but do carry a lens pen when I venture afield. I use the brush end, but have never felt comfortable using the pad end.

I store my mounted rifle scopes with neoprene scope covers, some with the ScopeCoat brand and some with generic Chinese $3 knock-offs. I've never been a fan of Butler Creek lens covers as they seem bulky to me, so it is ScopeCoat or naked for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would use the brush but not the pad.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rogn
Just tried a search on lens pens and found everything but lens pens. I was wondering just what the informed opinion is on them. I can understand the brush being essential to ridding the lens of grit that might cause scratching, but I wonder if its 100% effective. Then to follow that up with the little pad just seems to me to be so similar to the shirttail/handkerchief method. Is the pen just for field maintenance or can it be used with impunity. Or should i just stick with lens cleaner and lens paper?

Lady's makeup brush, use brush from below lens so that debris drops in to the bristles rather than just get rubbed around the lens...finish with the glass' cleaners your wife buys for her reading glass'. These come packed in marvelous wee sealed sachets and are very convenient, mainly because you don't even have to remember where they are as your wife always has them in her handbag.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I like the canned air at home but honestly most of the time I find myself just using the lens pen. The brush works great at getting rid of the grit.

My routine is to blow hard on the lens at the same time I'm using the brush to dislodge any grit from the lens surface. After I've done that a couple or three times I'll follow up with the pad. I'll usually blow on the lens with my breath to fog it up lightly and then gently use the pad in a circular motion until the lens is smudge-free.

Don't know why y'all are afraid to use the pad, it works great, that's why it's there(to be used in conjunction with the brush). I've been using them for years and I haven't had a problem keeping my lenses scratch-free.

Leftybolt

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Dump a little bottled water on the lenses if you have to, to help rid lenses of dust. Dab it off with a microfiber cloth. Then use the pad. I also like the Zeiss lens wipes afterwards.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I like the brush but am wary of the pad.
Midway has them in the optics section, under scope accessories. ~$9

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I blow on it first, then blow on it and lightly brush too. In the field that’s all I do.

When I get home I’ll do the same, then gently use a dry cotton ball. After that I’ll use the little pad but I like to breathe on the lens first to fog it and then gently use the pad.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Had one but pad dried out after a year..Brush is fine.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The pads are always dry. They’re coated with carbon.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The Zeiss lens cleaner wipes are good and so is NON-Alcohol based cleaner and a micro fiber cloth, cotton ball, etc. DO NOT use alcohol based cleaner as it can remove lens coatings. Ask me how I know, or better still, don't. I don't need that memory!

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the brush end of the LensPen, and then a Zeiss wipe. I am too leery of piece of fine grit getting caught in that suede pad and scratching the surface or coating.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use the cloth and liquid they sell at the eye doctor place. I have probably used water and a handkerchief or shirt tail as much as any thing though. I know, that is probably a bad idea.

I normally use a scope cover that completely covers the scope unless going through the Alaskan "pucker brush". I bought some Shoot Thru scope covers and will find out this fall how they work.

For the most part when hunting I want nothing on my scope and still remember when a band on the right side hung up my bolt on a hunt. I tossed that scope cover.

When I was a kid my Dad and most of his buddies made scope covers from old inner tubes.

Scope covers, throw levers, anti cant bubbles and large knobs for twisting adjustments, I am resisting it all and like the simple days and ways. Maybe that is because most all of my shots are well under 200 yards.

rogn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I like that under 200 yd part.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
D
D
Rogn- I was going to post the same question and appreciate you asking. I previously used the Nikon lens pen with good results but still want to know what informed shooters think as it has been 5-8 years since I bought that one and need a plan for my new setups.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
DShredder: In my gun room I have a plethora of lens pens - backed up by air puffing fine hair brushes, canned air, camel hair brushes, fine make-up applying type brushes (never used on faces or with make-up - bought new for cleaning lenses) and all brands of lens cleaning solutions and lens cleaning papers (I am nearly out of the long discontinued, and my favorite, Kodak lens papers!).
If I was held to an absolute minimum I would settle on the Zeiss lens cleaning solution, Kodak lens cleaning papers and my favorite (no brand name on it?) air puffing, fine hair, lens brush.
Its been 50+ years since I succumbed to the out in the field or at the range temptation to use my "shirt tail" to wipe any lens on any of my optics (cameras, spotting scopes, binoculars, Rifle scopes etc)!
My wife owned a beauty shop for 25+ years and I used to get my ultra-fine make-up applying brushes at wholesale and more often free as gifts/bribes for her to carry a line of make-up, brushes etc.
These work extremely well for removing dust and debris from lenses!
And they are often found at very inexpensive prices. They won't remove lens coatings (like the average shirt tail will eventually do).
I have a couple in my range box and find I use it on less careful friends and fellow shooters dusty lenses! I use scope covers religiously and rarely need to "clean" a lens anymore.
By the way welcome to the fire DShredder - enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
RedRabbit: I am NOT being critical of your regimen at all just curious.
I like the Zeiss lens cleaning single packed wipes - but I have been VERY hesitant to use them on my "coated" lenses!
My hesitation stems from the strong odor of alcohol evaporating when I open a Zeiss lens wipe to clean my sunglasses or reading glasses.
I have a fear that they will remove/diminish/harm/dilute the lens coatings on my Rifle scopes with their alcohol based solution.
That fear may be completely irrational and I am wondering if you have noticed any ill effects on your use (probably rarely used) of Zeiss lens wipes on Rifle scopes?
I buy my Zeiss wipes at Wal-Mart and go through about 100 a year on my glasses and magnifying glasses - never used them on coated outdoor optics.
TIA for any input on my concerns.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've used the Zeiss wipes for years on scopes and binos without issue. They are pretty much my go to. I just make sure the lenses are free of dirt/dust first.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I still have half a small bottle of Kodak lens cleaning solution I bought in 1979 - best lens cleaner I ever used as it leaves absolutely no residue.

After air and brush dusting I've never had a lens pen pad scratch anything and I've used them on Nikon lenses some worth up to 10k when I was a photog. One thing is for sure and that is you've got to keep your cleaning gear in something like a zip lock bag, especially microfiber clothes.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,721 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,736
Posts18,495,014
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.