-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I avoid dbm rifles. There are very few new bolt actions without one. The military 98 has the best set up because there is no way to accidentally open it but you can if you need to.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
HR IC

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
The tacticool ones are stupid.

You're right! ....... Adds much weight, screws up the handling, and makes it hard for a one handed carry.

Flush DMs are ok. The 760/7600s work well as do the T3 and BLR81 style.

Not true about the weight.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have two five round magazines for my Mini-14. I see no purpose for carrying a twenty round magazine for hunting or farm/ranch chores "just in case." I am going to modify my CZ 527 to handle the flush mount small capacity magazine. These two atr my only center fire rifles so equipped. I prefer the floor plate system.

Jackal

Add: I forgot one. The R-93 Blaser, but it inserts from the top and can be reloaded without removal.

Last edited by jt402; 07/07/18.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have rifles with DBM, floorplates, blind magazines and tube fed. I like them all, and the mag style makes little difference to me - accuracy is my prime concern. I do like the DBM for a rifle that is used getting in and out of vehicles frequently. (On BLM land out here, it is generally illegal to have a loaded gun in the vehicle...some rangers even cite you if you lean the gun against the tire or place it on the open tailgate. ) The ease of loading and unloading is convenient.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have 2 700 ADLs and I like not worrying about rounds falling out and the simplicity of it, but a floor plate has become my favorite. Just because it’s so much easier to unload. My BLR has a detachable mag and it seems to be very well made but I’m always a little paranoid about losing it, sometimes it feels like it’s snapped in but has just the slightest amount of wiggle, and if you don’t notice it can fall out. I’ve never had it happen except at the range luckily.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by jt402
I have two five round magazines for my Mini-14. I see no purpose for carrying a twenty round magazine for hunting or farm/ranch chores "just in case." I am going to modify my CZ 527 to handle the flush mount small capacity magazine. These two atr my only center fire rifles so equipped. I prefer the floor plate system.

I have never...not once...been out and thought to myself "man, I wished I had fewer rounds...."

I carry two extra 5rd mags in the stock pouch of my CZ527, and would buy ten rounders if they made them.

Last edited by liliysdad; 07/07/18.
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I detest DBMs. The main reason is I have a badly crushed right hand and little use of wrist and fingers (I shoot lefty ) .I have to lay rifle down to add rounds if it is DBM .With my fixed mag (Hawkeye ) it is a breeze to hold the rifle with right hand and top off the mag with my left .Trust me it is a pleasure for me to load that way. Folks with old injuries need the right stuff and life is easier.

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
― Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by liliysdad

I have never...not once...been out and thought to myself "man, I wished I had fewer rounds

I know what you mean. Normally I have 4 rounds in the gun plus more in an ammo wallet in a pocket. Been doing that a lotta yrs. In ALL this time
I have shot 3 times at 1 running deer. I’m comfortable w/4 rounds in the Rifle. I don’t like 10 round mags because of the protrusion.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by verns
I detest DBMs. The main reason is I have a badly crushed right hand and little use of wrist and fingers (I shoot lefty ) .I have to lay rifle down to add rounds if it is DBM .With my fixed mag (Hawkeye ) it is a breeze to hold the rifle with right hand and top off the mag with my left .Trust me it is a pleasure for me to load that way. Folks with old injuries need the right stuff and life is easier.

That is totally understandable and I’m sorry for your handicap. I’m also glad that you ARE able to shoot and hunt.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by jwall

I have never...not once...been out and thought to myself "man, I wished I had fewer rounds

I know what you mean. Normally I have 4 rounds in the gun plus more in an ammo wallet in a pocket. Been doing that a lotta yrs. In ALL this time
I have shot 3 times at 1 running deer. I’m comfortable w/4 rounds in the Rifle. I don’t like 10 round mags because of the protrusion.

Jerry

I've run out of ammo more than once when getting into an unexpected sounder of pigs.

IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by JGRaider
FWIW, I prefer DM's, then hinged floorplates. I do not like blind mags.

Agreed.......Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jt402

Jackal

Add: I forgot one. The R-93 Blaser, but it inserts from the top and can be reloaded without removal.

I'm planning on having the guard and mag for my 527 chopped as well, but mainly for looks. I called CZ to check on the price for the M3 guard, and the guy just said, "You don't wanna know".

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I've run out of ammo more than once when getting into an unexpected sounder of pigs.

In that case give me ALL I can tote. laugh
That's a different scenario. I was only thinking of deer hunting.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by jwall

In that case give me ALL I can tote. laugh
That's a different scenario. I was only thinking of deer hunting.

Jerry

I am as likely to run into pigs when deer hunting as any other time...the last time was while calling coyotes. 5rds of .22 Creedmoor in an AICS mag and ten rounds single fed through the port, and there were still pigs left to kill.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've seen magazines dumped out of a Remington DBM, Tikka, and one of the worst are the AICS style DBMs with the dangly lever - the versions with the release lever inside the trigger guard work well. Not sure why the dangly levers are even sold; apparently the tacticools need to switch out magazines in a hurry, for those times when ISIS is about to overrun their treestands.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm sure you have.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What's so hard to understand? Any sort of mechanical device with an exposed release to separate one part from another may have problems with that release being inadvertently tripped. The Tikka surprised me, as its release is pretty well hidden and may have been a fluke, but the AICS style has happened multiple times, to more than one rifle....silly design with the long exposed lever. The more hidden AICS style levers, or other designs such as the inside or flush with the trigger guard releases are a better setup. The Remington DBM incident......the fellow lost his magazine while on a hunt, and it could've been a real problem had he suddenly needed to fire, only to find there was no ammo in his gun.

Have also seen it happen to 1911s, Glocks, a dangly release 10/22, and an AR, so it's not a phenomenon reserved for bolt action rifle dbms. It's often manifested not as a full magazine falling on the ground issue, but instead a "released just far enough to not pick up the first round" situation.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Alright.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bighorn
I only have one rifle with a DM, a Browning X-Bolt. After hunting with it and shooting it a lot, I really like being able to quickly load and unload it.
I know they are maligned here but I think the mag design on an A-bolt is a great set up. The mag attached- detaches onto a hinged floorplate that gets closed shut keeping the mag completely internal. Easy to swap or remove when getting back to a vehicle. Convenient for relaoding too as you can measure the mag length easily.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have two Remington pumps so I have to say I use them. With bolt actions I prefer a hinged floor plate. Less to forget in a rush to leave camp. Yep, I'm usually the last guy out.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

233 members (204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 300_savage, 17Fan, 34 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 1,080 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,078
Posts18,501,585
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.