Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I wasn't quite sure where to put this OR if more than one or two might read it and understand......but, anyway, here we are.

Regardless of what a lot of younger folks think, 65 is not too old to still have dreams of owning "that one" rifle or going on hunts they've spent their life dreaming about. Supporting a family and spending most your money on the desires and needs of loved ones is indeed, how it's done, IMO.............but, the dreams live on.

That said, those times are behind me. Both my boys have families of their own and have their nose to the grindstone providing for themselves and loved ones. While they might LIKE me to pay their bills.......it's not happening. Life's lessons are great teachers. When consequences of one's actions bite them in the keister, they get "smarter". I chuckle listening to my 44 year old son's rants on "the entitled younger generation". It kinda makes me feel like maybe I did something right.

Since high school I've been teased off and on for "having rifles that cost more than my vehicle". Then, as now, I don't understand why anyone would think that is in any way a mistake. One of my biggest regrets in life is letting the wife (now gone) talk me into two new vehicles every two years, but........we're back to spending to make our loved ones happy. Oh, the hunts I could have went on!

No longer having that problem (if one wishes to view it AS a problem) it is STILL hard, after many decades of not doing so, to wrap my head around the fact that I only have MY priorities and convictions to consider when going and doing, or buying..........anything.

Living in a WAY too big home for one person thoughts have been creeping in about "down-sizing" AS LONG AS I could find something similar to where I'm at where I can step out my back porch and blast away any time I wish. With nothing but cornfield and woods within 1200 yards of me in two directions, there isn't a single reason in the world why I shouldn't just stick a "PROPER" 100 yard shooting range on this property but being old school (or just old) leaning an old sheet of plywood against a tree and tacking on a home-made target seems to be still working. Pop can bottoms and water filled gallon jugs still fit within my fun outside too. Kinda like a "You might be a redneck if.........." laugh

The "problem" arises when thinking about, if I do this...........what priorities would I have when considering using (or not using) the funds remaining? The home, like this one, would be debt free. Sorry boys..........that's a crap-load more than my parents left me (nothing). It didn't ruin a single precious memory for me of either one. Both will get inheritance from others anyway. I don't "owe" you.........diddly. Count your blessings. In addition, of course, some would be invested for my two grandchildren, one girl 5 and one boy.....now just over a month old. If my sons' have a say, there won't BE any more either.

With no offense directed at this forum's sponsor, I am about as "old school" as a rifle loony can get. While other attributes do have merit, "walnut and blue" is a constant, for ME, when dreaming of "that perfect rifle".

I'm almost as bad when it comes to rifle scopes. I've had and liked variable scopes but they stood second to having two fixed power ones. One lower power for hunting, one 3-4 times that X for load working and summer varmints. Easier, does not NECESSARILY equate to "better" in my world. Like loading my own ammo, a little work changing scopes isn't any kind of hardship, it's simply me....putting more of ME in my rifle loony ways. Illuminated reticles ? yeah well.......hmmmm. confused

Your mileage may vary, thankfully. What a boring site this would be if we all had the same likes, dislikes, convictions......beliefs.

So (finally) I'm down to the crux of this post.

Price be danged. While WHAT I do with one and WHERE I go hunt may be limited by the wear and tear of old age, one or maybe a pair? of rifles like these........has merit, fulfills some life long desires.........and even makes sense when considering leaving them for my new grandson.

http://kilimanjarorifles.com/rifles_now.html

In a PERFECT world, the docs will start giving me their best game and I'd go back to work a year or two.......and stay here. grin

Stranger things have been known to happen. I'll still keep driving my old beat up Blazers though. Maybe I'll fix the AC though. laugh

(Bet you're glad I don't post often now.....huh. LOL!)

God Bless
Steve

Last edited by Steve692; 07/08/18.

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well Steve, I ?think? I understand your point(s).

1. It would be BORING if we ALL thot alike.

2. If dreams die, we'd be a SAD lot.

3. I suggest that YOU do as I DO. I don't give a RIP what others think is best or better for that matter.

4. I have rifles that I certainly don't NEED. It's nobody's bizzness.

5. For you --
"With no offense directed at this forum's sponsor, I am about as "old school" as a rifle loony can get. While other attributes do have merit, "walnut and blue" is a constant, for ME, when dreaming of "that perfect rifle".

In my formative years I was reading everything I could find that interested me.
Skeeter Skelton said in print ( I have the magazine ) referring to handguns, "Nothing is more practical than rubber & S S."

I transferred that to rifles as well. Now I have Wood & Blue and can drool over gorgeous rifles -- but imHo - my perfect rifle may very well be Syn - & SS.

So I'll come to my rambling recommendation. Do what YOU dang well please. <SMILE>

Jerry

ps: I'm 68.

Last edited by jwall; 07/09/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take most posts with a grain of salt and tequila.

They're either validation, recommendation, or mental masturbation...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If buying a couple $10,000.00 rifles trips your trigger, I say go for it man. You only live once.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The passage about the doctors giving you their best game lent an eerie sentiment. Forgive me but, are you dying?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kingston
The passage about the doctors giving you their best game lent an eerie sentiment. Forgive me but, are you dying?

That would depend upon which doctor I should have faith in enough to believe. LOL! I'm about convinced one of them is TRYING to make that happen. Another I dumped because he almost succeeded. (long story and moot.)

So..........."The jury is still out" on that After all, all of us are running out of days to "git r done".

Regardless of whom each of us are or current issues...........the number of years left each of us is almost always less than we have planned.

Maybe I'll be allowed the time to fill some more of my list.........but more importantly, maybe this post will hit home with those whom, like me, put off things that maybe, just maybe, should be hiked up on the "to do" list, if such is remotely sensible.

As the old saying goes. "It's not the quantity, but the quality of life that matters."

God Bless

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As long as you don't intentionally hurt anyone, do whatever you want to do, it works for me.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Apparently I read his post a little different than the rest of you, but I don't see a request for validation from anyone.

Just a well written post about life from an aging lion's perspective.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Steve,

This sounds a bit familiar to me as your post could have been written by my father. LOL
You've lived a financially disciplined life and provided for those you hold most dear. And the transition from saver to spender can certainly feel like an abandonment of those principles.

You don't need permission to make yourself a priority and I'll bet the farm your boys feel the same way.

This 65-year-long party you've lived thus far may not be all you'd hoped for but that doesn't mean you can't start dancing now. smile

Be well!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
There should be a little inheritance for my three daughters, but I have informed them that their college educations should be considered their inheritance. They had college jobs, their mom and I lived frugally, took no vacations, and I had a side gig that brought in some income and all graduated debt free. My forty three year old recently told me one of her college room mates was still paying her debt.

I don't feel guilty these days when I buy a new gun, although a handgun or two and another shotgun are the only itches that I have.

I set aside some money for Africa several years ago. Health does not make that a wise choice. My advice is don't postpone your dream hunt. You might not be up to it later.

The girls and the grand kids enjoy the outdoors and will want some of my guns. They may have what they want, some now, others that I use later.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
If buying a couple $10,000.00 rifles trips your trigger, I say go for it man. You only live once.

Yeah, I kinda did the same thing with a couple of pool cues... laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve692
I wasn't quite sure where to put this OR if more than one or two might read it and understand......but, anyway, here we are.

Regardless of what a lot of younger folks think, 65 is not too old to still have dreams of owning "that one" rifle or going on hunts they've spent their life dreaming about. Supporting a family and spending most your money on the desires and needs of loved ones is indeed, how it's done, IMO.............but, the dreams live on.

That said, those times are behind me. Both my boys have families of their own and have their nose to the grindstone providing for themselves and loved ones. While they might LIKE me to pay their bills.......it's not happening. Life's lessons are great teachers. When consequences of one's actions bite them in the keister, they get "smarter". I chuckle listening to my 44 year old son's rants on "the entitled younger generation". It kinda makes me feel like maybe I did something right.

Since high school I've been teased off and on for "having rifles that cost more than my vehicle". Then, as now, I don't understand why anyone would think that is in any way a mistake. One of my biggest regrets in life is letting the wife (now gone) talk me into two new vehicles every two years, but........we're back to spending to make our loved ones happy. Oh, the hunts I could have went on!

No longer having that problem (if one wishes to view it AS a problem) it is STILL hard, after many decades of not doing so, to wrap my head around the fact that I only have MY priorities and convictions to consider when going and doing, or buying..........anything.

Living in a WAY too big home for one person thoughts have been creeping in about "down-sizing" AS LONG AS I could find something similar to where I'm at where I can step out my back porch and blast away any time I wish. With nothing but cornfield and woods within 1200 yards of me in two directions, there isn't a single reason in the world why I shouldn't just stick a "PROPER" 100 yard shooting range on this property but being old school (or just old) leaning an old sheet of plywood against a tree and tacking on a home-made target seems to be still working. Pop can bottoms and water filled gallon jugs still fit within my fun outside too. Kinda like a "You might be a redneck if.........." laugh

The "problem" arises when thinking about, if I do this...........what priorities would I have when considering using (or not using) the funds remaining? The home, like this one, would be debt free. Sorry boys..........that's a crap-load more than my parents left me (nothing). It didn't ruin a single precious memory for me of either one. Both will get inheritance from others anyway. I don't "owe" you.........diddly. Count your blessings. In addition, of course, some would be invested for my two grandchildren, one girl 5 and one boy.....now just over a month old. If my sons' have a say, there won't BE any more either.

With no offense directed at this forum's sponsor, I am about as "old school" as a rifle loony can get. While other attributes do have merit, "walnut and blue" is a constant, for ME, when dreaming of "that perfect rifle".

I'm almost as bad when it comes to rifle scopes. I've had and liked variable scopes but they stood second to having two fixed power ones. One lower power for hunting, one 3-4 times that X for load working and summer varmints. Easier, does not NECESSARILY equate to "better" in my world. Like loading my own ammo, a little work changing scopes isn't any kind of hardship, it's simply me....putting more of ME in my rifle loony ways. Illuminated reticles ? yeah well.......hmmmm. confused

Your mileage may vary, thankfully. What a boring site this would be if we all had the same likes, dislikes, convictions......beliefs.

So (finally) I'm down to the crux of this post.

Price be danged. While WHAT I do with one and WHERE I go hunt may be limited by the wear and tear of old age, one or maybe a pair? of rifles like these........has merit, fulfills some life long desires.........and even makes sense when considering leaving them for my new grandson.

http://kilimanjarorifles.com/rifles_now.html

In a PERFECT world, the docs will start giving me their best game and I'd go back to work a year or two.......and stay here. grin

Stranger things have been known to happen. I'll still keep driving my old beat up Blazers though. Maybe I'll fix the AC though. laugh

(Bet you're glad I don't post often now.....huh. LOL!)
Steve
[b][THAT POST EARNED AN IGNORE!/b]

Last edited by Savage_99; 07/09/18.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm older than the OP and live my life doing what I damn well please. The kids can have whatever scraps are left when I'm done. I gave most of my life to their needs and whatever is left is mine

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
mr. steve I look at things like this. as long as I put 15% into my 401k and my bills are paid and still put a lil back every month for the inevitable home owning issues then I don't feel at all irresponsible by buying whatever rifle I want. granted I haven't went the full custom route yet as at the moment I don't see the need. but, if I wanted one I'd research the stew outta them and make the move. props to you for being a real man and doing like the good book says and putting yourself last and wife and children first and second respectively. but, I am seeing that doing like you did and placing myself last is what I want nowadays and it isn't such a chore like it was in the beginning of this journey. most of the time when the decision comes up to spend me time or just hang with my wife and (2) sons age 14 & 7 I just hang with them because even at 48 yrs old I'm feeling time start to slip away from me and realizing that in 4 yrs my oldest will be gone to college and hopefully I did right by him and he returns to take the old man out hunting with him just like I did with him.
good luck and be blessed brother,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jt402
My advice is don't postpone your dream hunt. You might not be up to it later.

Jack

Let me qualify that with: OR you may not be around to go later.
I've been to schoolmates' funerals who were younger than myself. No one is guaranteed tomorrow.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99

THAT POST EARNED AN IGNORE!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Savage_99

THAT POST EARNED AN IGNORE!

[Linked Image]

You know the difference between Savage_99 and a rock? A rock actually has some usefulness!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL

Thanks guys, grin, LOL

It's beautiful weather out! It's 90F on the sunny side of the house and 78F on the shady side. smile

Last edited by Savage_99; 07/10/18.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Steve. Your musings are fine. Sounds like you are the best sort of person. Just get what you want and save up some scratch for a moose hunt in Alaska or plains game in Africa. I enjoyed your post and hope you keep posting. Tell us about your progress.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Yeah, I kinda did the same thing with a couple of pool cues... laugh laugh

What caliber are they?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

364 members (1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 10ring1, 12344mag, 35 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 1,057 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,452
Posts18,528,911
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.