Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Wow, didnt mean to come off that way wdenike. Just trying to bring up some valid points on lr hunting. I have an opinion, like most people, about slinging lead at critters at long ranges. Have ya shot much past 600? 1000? If ya have than excuse me. And you are right, i dont know ya. I was saying dont do it as in dont go slinging lead at animals at long range and making an "azz hat" out of yourself by wounding an animal. I guess for a sensitive fella such as yourself i should have put it milder. I think shooting long is a lot of fun! And by all means if you have the stuff to do it than go for it. I was just trying to say do your due diligence for the animals you persue and for the rest of the hunters who have to live with the already bad rap hunters can get. No need to get yourself all worked up.

I guess i should assume everyone on here who is asking anything is a pro. My bad

Something about the indian and the arrow...
GB1

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
And seriously, im not here to make any enemies. So my bad ill dial my opinion down.

I tried the 212 eldx in my 300 bee, never got great accuracy out of it, but did take an elk with one at just over 200, and it blew it to all holy hell on a dhoulder shot. I think for longer ramges they would perform well though. The noslers are supposedly good down to 1600 or so. And yea, nosler definetly fudges a bit on their bc's. But ya can look up litz numbers that he tested himself. I think you can trust those. If ya need i can look them up in his book when i get home.

Something about the indian and the arrow...
W
wdenike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Sir, I could have taken you completely wrong. As sometimes reading off this wonderful flat screen Internet. Is no where near the same as communicating in person. As for enemies. The only ones I consider enemies are the anti America COMMIES which everyone knows, and I won't give them the satisfaction of mentioning their names. As I can't stand the air they breathe. But mostly I can adamantly disagree with someone, and carry friendly conversation the following day. With out carrying the hatchet around forever. If this is the case then my apologies for the barbed reply.

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
7828 has been really good in my 300 WBY with everything from 165’s to 200’s. RL26 should be great as well. I’m planning on running my old rechambered 300 Wby with Bitterroots this fall, but it’s shot Accubonds and Partitions real well. Good luck, love the 300 Wby. Always seems like an easy to feed big cartridge.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have used a 300 WBY extensively. I have tried a lot of bullets and killed a lot of game. I have even shot a few 1000 yd BR matches with it.

H4350 is not going to work well with the 200 and up. In fact, I found it too fast for even the 150s and 165s. I haven't tried any of the new wonder powders but the following worked well with heavy bullets; H4831 and it's variants, R22, N560 and magpro. Magnum is almost the same as Magpro and will probably work too. I wouldn't think you could get enough H1000 in the case but I could be wrong.

Best luck was with 200 grain Bergers.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

W
wdenike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks again all.
Dennis any problem with losing velocity with our extreme temperature swings??? Thanks.

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
We don't have the typical temperature swings in AZ. I may work a load up when it's 100 and shoot it when it's 40. Never has been a problem. People really tend to over think this. IF you are going on a polar bear hunt, I would worry about the stability of the powder. For more normal endeavors, it is really not an issue.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
7828 is the Weatherby powder of choice for duplicating Roy's original specs like 180's at 3300 fps. I load 200 grain Accubonds to 3.700" OAL and get 3150 fps and brass life of 20 shots not that I am using the Willis collet body die to restore the brass right down to the belt and a Lee collet die on the necks. I only bump the shoulders .001" about every 3rd time. I use the same charge for Berger 210's. Both bullets go 3150 and into 1/2 MOA consistently and often much tighter 3 shots groups and very rarely over .5 MOA.

I have recently started experimenting with Ramshot Magnum in the 300 and 257 because I hate weighing charges and it seems to be nearly identical results for accuracy and velocity as the 7828. I don't remember the charge. You will need to find it for your rifle. I can go faster with either powder but it starts stretching primer pockets so over the years I just keep backing off to get the brass life up to 20+. I only use Weatherby brand brass. It has the largest capacity of all the different 300 Wby brass I have tried. My rifle is an Accumark with an Accubrake and an accuracy package we developed for the Accumarks. Freebore has never been an accuracy issue for any Weatherby rifle we have encountered or built. I love all my Weatherby's.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,406
Posts18,488,965
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.