Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I am looking to add a 7mm Rem Mag to my modest collection and have narrowed it down to either the M700 SPS left handed or a Tikka T3x lite SS lefty. The stainless steel, lighter weight and out of the box accuracy are appealing but the M700 in 7mm mag is just a classic in its own right and it seems from my research the 26" barrel and longer magazine box on the Remington would help to maximize the potential out of the 7mm mag cartridge... maybe. Which one would you pick?

GB1

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I would choose the Tikka here, I prize a lightweight rifle and I think the Tikka would be less of a crap shoot as far as gettin a good shooter.....Good lick ....Hb

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Luke -

First off, WELCOME to the 'fire'.

For tonight I will only say I like and HAVE both. A 700 BDL 7mm RM and T 3x Lite SS 7mm RM. I am partial to the D B M of the Tikka.

Regardless of the longer magazine 'box', you'll be limited by the throat dimensions. ? ?

My 700 B D L and the 700 Syn 7 mags use the same COAL. The Tikka actually has a .011" longer throat than the 700s.
** that's only a sample of 3 **

From one Loony to Another -- Get BOTH.

WX permitting, tomorrow I'll take a couple of pix and post here for comparison.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
SGB Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I once had a tikka hunter in a 6.5x55 and sold it. Stupid mistake. I'd take a tikka again in a heart beat. Hard to beat their accuracy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a 30-06 T3 and a XCRII 7mag in a McMillan Classic. Sold them both, but if I could have one back it'd be the XCRII. It was a bad ass rifle. Didn't need either though.

IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by 16bore
I had a 30-06 T3 and a XCRII 7mag in a McMillan Classic. Sold them both, but if I could have one back it'd be the XCRII. It was a bad ass rifle. Didn't need either though.

wow! Did you put that XCR II in a Mcmillan stock?....Hb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get the Tikka

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Originally Posted by 16bore

wow! Did you put that XCR II in a Mcmillan stock?....Hb

This one:

https://imageshack.com/i/pmtE8Fo4j

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 16bore; 07/09/18.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
That is one sweet looking rig!....did it shoot as good as it looks?....Hb

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall
Luke -

Regardless of the longer magazine 'box', you'll be limited by the throat dimensions. ? ?

My 700 B D L and the 700 Syn 7 mags use the same COAL. The Tikka actually has a .011" longer throat than the 700s.

Altho these 700s are NOT SPS they are 700 L A in 7mm RM.

[Linked Image]

I bought the Syn 7mm RM in '95. At the time it was the lightest rifle I owned. I have hunted and killed Deer & Coyotes with it.
As I said earlier, they have a longer magazine 'box' -- but the throat length in the barrel will not allow you to seat the bullets WAY out.
They are NOT short throats but certainly not long throats.

The Syn is now for sale or trade. There is NOT 1 thing wrong with it. I upgraded to a S S, Lighter, & D B M with this T 3X Lite SS in 7 mag.
With the SAME scope -- The T 3X weighs exactly 1 pound lighter than the Syn 700 7 RM.

[Linked Image]

**** The loaded rounds for the 700s AND the T 3X have the SAME coal. They FIT the DBM of the Tikka.
Also as I said - The T 3X has .011" longer throat but the magazine will not accept rounds loaded any longer.

I am not a Rem hater. I have and have HAD more Rem 700s than any other brand. I ONLY have 2 Tikkas.
I hope this info is helpful to you. GOOD Luck

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
That is one sweet looking rig!....did it shoot as good as it looks?....Hb

Sure did. I wouldn't configure it any other way. 8# on the nose, 162's into the lands and jumping 120 TTSX. Never got it bloody, but rang the schit out steel, FWIW...

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Luke -

Altho these 700s are NOT SPS they are 700 L A in 7mm RM.

[Linked Image]

I bought the Syn 7mm RM in '95. At the time it was the lightest rifle I owned. I have hunted and killed Deer & Coyotes with it.
As I said earlier, they have a longer magazine 'box' -- but the throat length in the barrel will not allow you to seat the bullets WAY out.
They are NOT short throats but certainly not long throats.

The Syn is now for sale or trade. There is NOT 1 thing wrong with it. I upgraded to a S S, Lighter, & D B M with this T 3X Lite SS in 7 mag.
With the SAME scope -- The T 3X weighs exactly 1 pound lighter than the Syn 700 7 RM.

[Linked Image]

**** The loaded rounds for the 700s AND the T 3X have the SAME coal. They FIT the DBM of the Tikka.
Also as I said - The T 3X has .011" longer throat but the magazine will not accept rounds loaded any longer.

I am not a Rem hater. I have and have HAD more Rem 700s than any other brand. I ONLY have 2 Tikkas.
I hope this info is helpful to you. GOOD Luck

Jerry

Thank you Jerry and to all that responded so far, yes this is very helpful.

I own two Tikka's already an older M695 30-06 I bought over 15 years ago and a newer T3 243, both are very good shooters so I am strongly leaning towards just getting another Tikka. It's just like hitting the easy button for hunting rifles. Buy Tikka in caliber of choice, mount scope (I have a FX III 6X42mm waiting for whichever rifle I buy) sight in and go forth and slay game...

I have never owned a M700 so I am still interested in having one of these classic rifles, if for no other reason than to have a platform to build a custom rifle. But then again by the time you buy a McMillan, a new barrel, a new trigger, have a smith tune the action, cerakote it and put it together. .. it would probably weigh what Tikka T3 weighs and shoot just as good.

I guess I'm really just talking myself into another Tikka haha.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take the Tikka.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, in this case. Take the Tikka.

Let me clarify my first post; I'd take THAT PARTICULAR rifle back, over the Tikka. New off the rack, Tikka all day.

Push the Easy Button

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I would take the tikka over an sps
If it was a nice bdl or a classic I would have to really think about it

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Good Morning, LukefromBC,

I have no knowledge of Tikka. I do have knowledge of Sako and the 7MM Rem Mag.

My Sako AV has a 24" barrel. I can easily get 3100 FPS with 160 grain Partitions and H-4831. I got this load from a mid-1975 edition of Rifle magazine. I've used 3 grains under the max indicated load. I could increase this load were I inclined. In fact, the highest velocity I've chrono'd with 160 grain bullets was just above 3200 FPS using RL-22. But it wasn't as sweet shooting as my Partition load. The 160 Partition load will drop the largest big game, and British Columbia has HUGE elk.

I used to load 150 grain Ballistic Tips using Nosler's book load and IMR 4350. It'll shoot one-hole groups. But I've returned home for mule deer-sized big game: .270 Win.

You might want to take a look at Euro Optic before you decide.

I'm sure Tikka will work perfectly for you. But if you're able to corral a Sako, it might be the only rifle you'll ever need.

I wish you many enjoyable and productive hunting seasons.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

156 members (3333vl, 7887mm08, AnthonyB, 35, anothergun, Angus1895, 17 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,036
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.