[Linked Image]
Ragnar:
[Linked Image]
Gunnar:
[Linked Image]
Loki:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by exbiologist; 07/08/18.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Nigel:
[Linked Image]

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
First hikes:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The dreaded water trainings:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Outstanding!

I’ve always loved goats and learned about the packing breed from a professor here at the U about 20 years ago... someday.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Cool, what breed?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Only saw one with a pack on? ...grin...

Very cool. I'd wondered about them crossing creeks. We raise meat goats and they absolutely hate water.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Oh yeah they frigging hate water. About the only time I can get them to cross voluntarily is if all their buddies are on the other side or if they can jump the whole creek/ditch. Even getting them to take a drink takes a lot of patience or heat. I’ve got a place to hunt in mind that will require them crossing a pretty substantially wide creek, but probably won’t be very deep in September or October.

Other socializing aspects we are working on are dealing with new dogs on the trail. It’s one reason they need to stay behind me when hiking, so I can encounter the dog first and call to its owner. Also, I’m a little worried that when Ragnar is 200 plus pounds he will kill a perfectly nice but too curious dog. His balls, after banding, must have slipped up inside and displaced his brain. He hates dogs and will charge them. He’s punched ours in the face if they get too nosy and reared up to take pretty devastating swings that would have done some damage if the dogs didn’t evade him. I don’t want to totally discourage this, as I left the horns on to help them deal with predators.

Breeds are all Alpine and Alpine crosses. Thor is 3/4 Alpine 1/4 Toggenburg, Ivar is half Saanen l, half Alpine. Rest are full blooded Alpine. About 3.5 months now and the three largest are over 80 pounds. Smallest is Loki at 60ish but his gains are good, just had a rough start as a quad with his three brothers dying at birth.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We tried goats but for our purposes, llamas worked better. Goats are darn good packers, too, though. One thing I did learn was that I'll never again have goats with horns. They're hard on fences and will just stand and butt the sides of a barn all day long. They knocked the siding right off the barn.
They're a lot more personable than llamas. Llamas don't want to be touched. They hate having their heads or feet touched. They'll do the job and do it well but they're not friendly. Goats, otoh, love to have their ears scratched. They can be your buddies...to the point of being a PIA sometimes.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Did they react to the snake in pic #9? Looks like it is hauling out of there.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Nigel looked at it and snorted an alarm, the rest didn't care or notice. The snake was moving slowly, so I'm not sure if they all noticed.

Last edited by exbiologist; 07/09/18.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Only had three of the boys up in the high country with me today. Needed to fix up the stock rack so had limited room in the kennels.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by exbiologist; 07/28/18.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Oh yeah they frigging hate water. About the only time I can get them to cross voluntarily is if all their buddies are on the other side or if they can jump the whole creek/ditch. Even getting them to take a drink takes a lot of patience or heat. I’ve got a place to hunt in mind that will require them crossing a pretty substantially wide creek, but probably won’t be very deep in September or October.

Other socializing aspects we are working on are dealing with new dogs on the trail. It’s one reason they need to stay behind me when hiking, so I can encounter the dog first and call to its owner. Also, I’m a little worried that when Ragnar is 200 plus pounds he will kill a perfectly nice but too curious dog. His balls, after banding, must have slipped up inside and displaced his brain. He hates dogs and will charge them. He’s punched ours in the face if they get too nosy and reared up to take pretty devastating swings that would have done some damage if the dogs didn’t evade him. I don’t want to totally discourage this, as I left the horns on to help them deal with predators.

Breeds are all Alpine and Alpine crosses. Thor is 3/4 Alpine 1/4 Toggenburg, Ivar is half Saanen l, half Alpine. Rest are full blooded Alpine. About 3.5 months now and the three largest are over 80 pounds. Smallest is Loki at 60ish but his gains are good, just had a rough start as a quad with his three brothers dying at birth.

Ya I tried that gamble and lost once and won once. The first time , it caused me to pack out, and have to use facebook to find said goat. The second time I was in the west elks, and finally had a battle of wills with one ..so I crossed the water with a leader ..anchored behind a rock and started pulling ... I had to do it , all the good elk hunting was on the other side. Said goat, decided to cross creeks peacefully there after

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've done the goats in water thing. They don't like it at all at first. I only had 2 adult goats but they learned fast and didn't give me any problems after the 1st time. I've also done it with llamas and their 1st time can be memorable, too. In fact, I'm taking a 3 day trip starting tomorrow afternoon. I'm taking 2 adults and a youngster who'll be on his 1st overnighter. He's been in a little water once but we'll have a good stream crossing on this one. It might be a rodeo. I'll put him between the older ones and hopefully he'll just go through.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Kevin were those rented or borrowed goats? Not sure I’d heard of someone losing a goat they hand raised.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cute little buggers!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Raised. Overall I liked the goats, but the wife wasn't a fan after they entered the house through an open screen door and had a good time unsupervised.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
Raised. Overall I liked the goats, but the wife wasn't a fan after they entered the house through an open screen door and had a good time unsupervised.

lol..... I don't leave ANYTHING parked in an area where we're keeping the goats.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 13 invisible), 1,546 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,720
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.