Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
BSA

You have complemented it at least once. Thank You

Left >> M 70 XTR FTWT 6.5X'SWEDE' -- (55 whistle)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've been buying SWIFT brand scopes since the late 80s/early 90s. NO problems >> even variables. That's the only 3-9 I have.
That's a 3.5-10 X 44 on the Mod Six 6mm Rem

This is my second 70 FTWT, I fell in love with the "whoredelis" ( grin ) stocks when the 81 catalog came out.

Thanks Again

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This is my sons 7x57... great little rifle and has always shot real well for us.

[Linked Image]

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wow, that's some balancing act. Good Show.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Yes, Winchester sold Model 70s with McMillan's stocks on them. Mostly called "Winlite" but they also sold them on the Sporter Magnums. Some were blind, some had bottom metal; some were schnabel, some were classic. Nearly all were painted black with no checkering, but I do have one that was factory-painted medium gray.

As I recall, some of those Winlite stocks also came from Brown Precision (non-schnable variety). Not 100% sure of the reason why they had two manufacturers for them but I had a '06 in one of the Brown stocks that I sold here to TDN a while back. Great stock. When I bought it, I assumed it was a McMillan but after some research and back and forth with the helpful folks at McMillan, they pointed me to Brown as the source. Regardless, the Winlites are great rifles along with the M70 Fetherweight in general. That said, I don't care for the newer Featherweights. Not that anyone cares, but I think the new Featherweight stocks need to go on a diet. They got bigger through the wrist and forend and I just can't seem to get used to that 1" black recoil pad.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Tech -

I agree about the 'Diet'. I don't have small hands but still I prefer smaller dia. fore ends and pistol grips. My 70 FTWT is Pre Classic and I love the stock, fit, feel, and balance.

Also the Rem Model Six has trimmer fore ends and pistol grips than the 7600s.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by jwall
Tech -

I agree about the 'Diet'. I don't have small hands but still I prefer smaller dia. fore ends and pistol grips. My 70 FTWT is Pre Classic and I love the stock, fit, feel, and balance.

Also the Rem Model Six has trimmer fore ends and pistol grips than the 7600s.

jwall,
I think the stock got bigger when BACO started producing the rifles. The original classics and push feed featherweights (both pre and XTR versions) all had similar if not identical stock design/shapes. I'm a fan of the Featherweights and I'm not bashing the BACO guns. I had a Extreme Weather in 243 that was great. I just prefer the original Featherweight stock dimensions. Like you, I don't have small hands but prefer the smaller feel of the stock in hand.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Back in the summer of 82, I had a gun dealer buddy get me a M70 XTR Sporter Magnum in 338 Win. When it arrived I was pleased to see that it was a Winchester and not a US Repeating Arms gun ( not that it makes much difference). I really liked it's looks but they had a real small butt with a piss poor recoil pad. Small Monte Carlo cheek piece and high. With 250 and 275 grain bullet handloads full throttle, it was the first rifle I ever owned that would kill at both ends with 1 touch of the trigger. It wears a Limbsaver pad these days but still gets your attention when it goes off. My 1st 25-06 is a pre XTR M70, my M70 300 Win Mag started life as a barreled action sold thru Brownells, the last one I got was a M70 Fwt in 6.5x 55 Swede. Push feed all of them and they shoot and function well. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am a big fan of Model 70's and the XTR is my Favorite and I own both a pre 64 and XTR and I prefer the XTR.
Mine is a Model 70 XTR in .264 Win Mag.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I HAD an XTR in 6.5x55...in a fit of greed I sold it for 4x what I paid. Wish I had it back....
Very good rifles. Dare I say probably their best rifle for the money in that era.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
How can anyone not love a Featherweight...

only have three of them....all made in the 1980s...

a 223, 6.5 x 55 ( rebarreled from an 06 originally) and a 7mm Mauser ( as it is labeled)...

I'd take a Model 70 over a 700 anyday, although I have both in my closet.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of only two I’ve ever seen locally.:. Waiting on mounts to shoot it. I may have just become a member of the Model 70 clan...

[Linked Image]

XTR Featherweight in 280 Remington. Man I like it a lot!!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Sixpack
One of only two I’ve ever seen locally.:. Waiting on mounts to shoot it. I may have just become a member of the Model 70 clan...

[Linked Image]

You need to just sell that to me & not waste your time with it.laugh

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Reloder28

[Linked Image]

You need to just sell that to me & not waste your time with it.laugh

😂😂😂
Only problem is that would get me back out of the model 70 clan and I believe I want to stay awhile!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not sure if it's a clan or a cult! grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
😁😁😁

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

[Linked Image]

Damn, that's a nice one. I was just looking at some pics today of how the one I sold to 79s here for his daughter shot. Those featherweights are great shooters, look damn good and handle really well. Hard to go wrong with an XTR FWT. Here's the one I sold to 79s:

This one was a very early featherweight (made in 1980 by WRA).
[Linked Image]

Sorry, I couldn't find any 3 shot groups to share with you guys. I guess these will have to do for now:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This one truly is a 1 moa (5 shot group) rifle. Maybe even sub moa with 79s loading for it and shooting it. I know his daughter shot a nice moose with it up north... Not bad for a 270win..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That ol 270 will stack 5 shots groups all day long. H4831, 140BTSP..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Found a minty 1982 FWT XTR in 7x57. Throated long, and twisted right for heavier 7mm bullets. I had some talley lows and a Meopta 3-9 #4 laying around, and the combo goes very well together. The trigger could use a little work, but as I understand this is easily accomplished.

I'll be working up:

154gn interlocks over W760
140gn TTSX over H4350

Will post up some good pics when I get a chance.

-JW
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Anybody have suggestions for a gloss scope that matches the XTR metal well?

I picked up a Leupold 6x42 for mine and it looks ok but not great.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

[Linked Image from imageshack.com]

Very nice. I keep contemplating buying one just like that, but with nicer wood. Not saying your rifle is not nice because it is damn nice. A good XTR fwt is a thing of beauty.. You'll like it.. Oops, I see this is a 4 year old post. Wonder if Sixpack still has that rifle and what his opinion is of it. Still love it??

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 13 invisible), 1,440 guests, and 746 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.