Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I've been off these boards for a while, boys, while life its ownself has kept me occupied more than usual. But I check in here on occasion and try to keep up with all y'all's African peregrinations, and as it happens, reading about Dave's RSA Scout Rifle hunt got me to thinkin'...

So here's what I'm thinkin' about. Next August, me and The Redhead are gonna spend 10 days in the Bubye Valley Conservancy with John Sharp. I'll be chasing Buff, eland, waterbuck, and kudu (in that order). The Redhead will mostly be tagging along with me, but has admitted she would really love to collect a zebra and maybe an impala, and she has expressed the opinion that some warthog ivory she could convert to personal jewellery would be nice.

I am looking to improve on my 2015 buff and kudu, and to collect that ultimate (to me) African head, a blue bull eland, which I did not get a chance to collect in '15. And waterbuck, which are plentiful in the Bubye, really caught my eye last time and if a good one pokes his head up I plan to take it off.

The Redhead has not yet killed anything bigger than a Texas jackrabbit, but we have plans to get her a TX whitetail this fall on a friend's ranch here in south Texas. Problem is, she can't use any of my rifles, because she is left-hand and left eye dominant. So we need to get her a rifle suitable for American deer sized game, but that will also serve for African antelope and for zebra, and it has to be a left-hand rifle.

I'm leaning toward a .30 caliber, likely .30-06; stoked with 180 gr TTSX, it should be adequate for zebra, and more than enough gun for antelope. I don't want to go much smaller, although she has expressed a partiality for the .270 Win, as that was her daddy' caliber and that's what all her brothers shoot... Then there's the newfangle 6.5mm Creedmoor, which everyone seems to be buying these days, and should be sufficient for her North American hunting, and everything in Zim other than (perhaps?) zebra. Or maybe just a good old .308, or while we'are at it, maybe a .358 Win? (I have one of those already, a lovely old Savage 99 that would serve her well, I think).

So I'm open to suggestions from you fellers here on the 'Fire. What say you?

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
270 w/ 150 gr. Partition

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My wife used a 30-06 with a 165 TSX for her zebra.

Rifle was a second hand Model 70 out of the Winchester Custom Shop. Bone stock other than I upgraded the bedding and it had been ordered with a 13 inch LOP.

She hasn't hunted anything since but keeps talking about an eland!

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think you need a 180 TTSX in the 30-06. 168 at the biggest. Could even go 150.

If she really wants a 270, I'd let her have it. Load a TTSX in it and she's golden, including zebra. While in the Eastern Cape, I couldn't believe that with some PHs that don't hunt dangerous game, the 270 is their largest cartridge. I heard some talking about how they thought it was a great all around cartridge. I know my PH loans his 270 out to clients. His other rifle is a 7x57.

Meanwhile we are told 30 calibre and above, a 30-06 is a sensible minimum.

Other choices would be a 7-08, 280 or 308, 7x57. We bumped off a young bull moose with my 6.5 Creedmoor and a 129 Hornady.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If she likes the 270, run with it. The zebra won’t notice or care about the difference between a .270 and an 06.

A left handed M70 so chambered shouldn’t be too difficult to find.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Doc: My uncle ALWAYS took a 270 as his light gun on several safaris in the 60s INCLUDING lion, with old fashioned Winchester Silvertips. Personally, I like your 06/180 TTSX combo though.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
.270 with either a 150 grain Nosler Partition or Swift A-Frame. A 160 grain Nosler Partition will be a good choice also.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I’ll pitch in with my usual angle; I’d worry more about stock fit than calibre. If the stock fits well and the scope is properly positioned and calibre is within reason all is good. That being said if she wants a .270 get one and use whatever quality bullets the rifle shoots best. An advantage of the .270 over the .30-06 is less recoil and therefore more practice will likely happen and less chance of a flinch or gun shyness developing.

I love the idea of jewelry from Warthog ivory. I have a set of Warthog tusks sitting at home and I’m thinking of what to do with them.

Enjoy all the safari pre-planning and preparation.

I’m surprised no one here has told you that you suck after announcing an upcoming trip to hunt in Africa. Doc you suck. 😃

All the best GRF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have used a 270 or 280 on at least 20 African trips and with TTSX or E-Tip or Trophy Bonded Tip bullets there will be no issues.
I spent a month there earlier this year a got 50+ Zebra wildebeest etc and a 6.5 CM would have been just fine for all. 90% of the shots will be 225 yards or less. Less recoil means better shot placement. So I would get the 6.5 or load the 270-130’s to around 2850-2900 with 4895 to significantly reduce recoil.
DON’T MAKE IT DIFFICULT.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Just got back from S. Africa. Our PH was doubtful when my son showed up with his new Tikka T3X stainless lite 6.5 Creedmoor. Ph had heard all the hype, but never had a client use one. My son took Sable, Warthog, Kudu, Blue Wildebeest and Mountain Reedbuck all one shot kills other than the Blue Wildebeest that just stood there after the first shot. PH counseld my son to shoot just behind the shoulder on each animal with the goal of double lung shots. We used factory 143 grain Precision Hunter ammunition. Light gun, significantly reduced recoil compared to a .270 and the sound is not nearly as bad as the magnums. Shots ranged from 60-220 yards.

Last edited by 1800topsoil; 07/11/18.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any cartridge from 6.5 on up should work fine for zebra on down. Mrs Blacktailer has a cute little Kimber Super America in 308 that has done the duty for her up to zebra and has done double duty as my light rifle. Since it is fairly light and her first rifle I started her off with mild loads with 100gr bullets and worked her up to full power 165 Barnes. Don't think it is available for southpaws but you are on the right track. Just have her practice plenty from field positions and off sticks. And have it fitted to her. Nothing kicks worse than an ill fitting rifle.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Not to provide a reason to not to buy another rifle, but the last time I went, I wasn't in the mood to lug a rifle over there so as a right-handed person shared my dad's left-handed Montana 1999 with no problems.

The only issue I could for see is some countries and provinces have minimum caliber restrictions. Namibia for instance has a 7mm minimum for medium game I believe. You may not run into that where you're going. My daughter used a 7-08 in Namibia with good results. My other daughter did fine with a 45-pound compound bow in RSA.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I agree with finding a rifle that fits and she can shoot accurately. Then practice, practice and practice some more. Caliber is less important than shot placement, within reason. Initial zero on the bench then get off of it. Practice with sticks, looped sling, field expedient shooting positions, kneeling, sitting, and prone.

Dave

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
270 w/ 150 gr. Partition

What he said.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Returned from the East Cape on June 15th from a cull PG hunt. Rifle was a Blaser R93 in .30/06 with a Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10x42, 4A reticle. Used factory loaded Barnes 168 grainTTSX ammunition which performed perfectly on everything hit with it. Most shots exited and most animals were DRT.

If she is comfortable with an '06, fine. It is always a good choice. If not, a 7x57 or 7-08 with appropriate ammunition is a good lower recoil alternative, providing she shoots it well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would see if I could find a .35 Whelen for her to shoot and see what she thinks of it.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Lots of good replies here, fellers, I do appreciate the input. And yes, GRF, I know I suck. But in all fairness, this trip was The Redhead’s idea... we never took a honeymoon trip when we wed in ‘16, and she says this will serve.

As several of you have said, rifle fit is Job One. Which is why a left hand action is crucial. I have no doubt I can shoot her left hand rifle if. Weds be, but I don’t want her to have to accommodate one of my right hand rifles. Caliber and load are secondary considerations. I’m considering the wisdom of stocking the rifle with a slightly heavier than OEM laminate stock for recoil reduction, if we go with the ‘06, since she will not be carrying the rifle long distances here in TX or in Zim.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
Rifle was a Blaser R93.

I'm sorry smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both my youngest son and daughter seemed to enjoy their M70's 7x57 with 175gr. NP

The Big pills dig deep and are more than adequate for Zebra (Eland too) and recoil is minimal.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DocRocket

I'm leaning toward a .30 caliber, likely .30-06; stoked with 180 gr TTSX, it should be adequate for zebra, and more than enough gun for antelope. I don't want to go much smaller, although she has expressed a partiality for the .270 Win, as that was her daddy' caliber and that's what all her brothers shoot...

Doc either choice would be good. Ingwewife used the 30-06 180 TSX combo with great success...a .270 with a TTSX in it would be a damn close second....

Last edited by ingwe; 07/11/18.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You could probably do a lot worse than a Tikka SS Laminate in 270. Pretty sure they come in LH versions. You could trim the stock length to fit and put on a better pad.

A nice condition LH PF Model 70 in a Boyds could be nice. Send it to Redneck for a going over/trigger job and have it cut to fit, new pad, and bedded.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
Rifle was a Blaser R93.

I'm sorry smile

I had reservations, too. But it shot .9" at 200 yards with the Barnes 168 TTSX factory ammo and it broke down into a very compact package in a small case. Scope was a Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10x42 Locutec* rail mount with 4A reticle. Not having a traditional receiver, it was quite short in terms of overall length and carried well.

The R93 worked perfectly with no issues on the hunt. It came right back to zero upon reassembly despite a very long flight and several plane changes. Would I take it on a DG hunt? Absolutely not.

Other choices were a Satterly custom VZ24 in .30/06, an M70 featherweight super grade in 7x57 and a Winchester Custom Shop M70 in .300 Win.

The deciding factors were the light weight, the small travel case and the fine accuracy. Going back next year for another PG cull hunt and have not decided on the rifle yet. Also have .300 Win Mag, 9.3x62 Mauser, .338 Win Mag and .375 H&H barrels for the R93. Will likely sell all the other barrels except for the '06 and the 9.3x62.

BTW, the R93 with the 9.3x62 barrel and a Swaro scope with an illuminated circle dot reticle is a pig killer par excellence.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
if you don`t mind a little recoil take a 300 win mag. 1st choice or a 30-06 2nd choice,but I would put a night force scope on my gun

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by ingwe

I'm leaning toward a .30 caliber, likely .30-06; stoked with 180 gr TTSX, it should be adequate for zebra, and more than enough gun for antelope. I don't want to go much smaller, although she has expressed a partiality for the .270 Win, as that was her daddy' caliber and that's what all her brothers shoot...

Doc either choice would be good. Ingwewife used the 30-06 180 TSX combo with great success...a .270 with a TTSX in it would be a damn close second....

I'm real partial to the 140 gr Accubond in the .270 Win, too.

But if I get her a .270, are you fellers gonna call us gay? Asking for a friend...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

But if I get her a .270, are you fellers gonna call us gay? Asking for a friend...

If its for her, its not gay.....

Cause she's a "she"....

Simple.

But I'd really look at a Barnes bullet if zebra is on the menu...

Last edited by ingwe; 07/11/18.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Let her shoot the savage 99 and see how she likes it. The 358 would be excellent for zebra. This hunting season, get her to hunt whitetail with it so she can build confidence and become familiar with the rifle. I suspect your PH will be fascinated by the 99. Darn few 99s on safari these days I should think.

T.S.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the idea of the 358 in the Savage also, if she likes it.

If not, I am in the 270 camp with a monometal bullet of some type.

You could start her with 110's for the deer/antelope in Texas then increase the weight for Africa. A 150gr bullet at 3000fps with Rel 26 would not be a disappointment.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Isn't the minimum caliber for Zebra in Zimbabwe 7mm (.284)?

Zimbabwe
• Class A Game 5300 Joule Minimum caliber 9.2mm in diameter (Elephant, Hippo, Buffalo)
• Class B Game 4300 Joule Minimum caliber 7.0mm in diameter (Lion, Giraffe, Eland)
• Class C Game 3000 Joule Minimum caliber 7.0mm in diameter (Leopard, Crocodile, Kudu, Oryx / Gemsbok, Hartebeest, Wildebeest, Zebra, Nyala, Sable Antelope, Waterbuck, Tsessebe, etc.)
• Class D Game 850 Joule Minimum caliber 5.56mm in diameter (Warthog, Impala, Reedbuck, Sitatunga, Duiker, Steenbok, Jackal, Game Birds, etc.)
• Black Powder Rifles Minimum caliber .40

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I would go a 7-08 throwing 140 gr TSX’s in a rifle that fits her well and not look back. My most recent PH in Namibia just a month ago had a 270 Win minimum suggestion as the animals, particularly mountain zebra and gemsbuck are so tough. I used an old 30-06 FN Mauser with 168 gr TSX and all was fine. My neighbor here in Idaho (I am typing from BC at the moment) has killed local moose, elk and deer and she likely goes 125# though is well fit. I’ll be back in Texas end of August and if you want to pay a visit I can line up a number of rounds and rifles she can try.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I used a .308 on multiple African trips. A 180 grain Barnes is a great bullet and will do a number on just about anything over there. I took my zebra head-on at 150 yards and the bullet ran the entire length of his body and was under the hide on his rear. Whatever you chose, pick a bullet that will penetrate--it's not about shock. The trackers will find it, even if they go just a bit farther.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree. Penetration is paramount!

T.S.

Last edited by TexasShooter; 07/12/18.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

But if I get her a .270, are you fellers gonna call us gay?
Asking for a friend...

Doc,I have 3-.270's and I don't care if someone calls me gay. I would just say "Yes,the .270 makes me happy" and leave it at that. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Doc,I have 3-.270's and I don't care if someone calls me gay. I would just say "Yes,the .270 makes me happy" and leave it at that. grin

OK...The Rainbow Coalition has spoken....

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
270 or a 7x57 and load them down a bit till she's us to the recoil and noise, but if you don't want her to go again load the 06 to the nuts and turn her loose! but what ever you do don't take a gaymoore too Africa just ain't right. the gaymoore the new kid on the block!

Last edited by mooshoo; 07/12/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If she is partial to a 270 stop right there and start seeing if any fit her. The Weatherby ladies rifle might be an option but I would rather have a fitted wooden stock. If you have time a pattern could be made to fit her perfectly and then sent off to a duplicator. Or cut down a standard stock and fit her later if she becomes a regular hunter.

A really sweet rifle would be a NULA or Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor but get the 270. If she wants to one up her brothers the WSM and especially the 270 Weatherby could be viable choices.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
James, my late Grandfather used his 270Win to kill assorted plains game, including Zebra, Kudu and Eland. He used his trusty Winchester Power Points, a mediocre bullet by today’s standards, and never lost an animal. Your bride will be fine with it.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

But if I get her a .270, are you fellers gonna call us gay?
Asking for a friend...

hrmph, only three 270's, rookie grin
3- 700's
3- classics
2-O'Conner commemoratives
1-Pre 64

probably some I have forgot about

Arcus Venator
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

OK...The Rainbow Coalition has spoken....

wink grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I stand humbled in front of you. cool

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Fjold
Isn't the minimum caliber for Zebra in Zimbabwe 7mm (.284)?

Zimbabwe
• Class A Game 5300 Joule Minimum caliber 9.2mm in diameter (Elephant, Hippo, Buffalo)
• Class B Game 4300 Joule Minimum caliber 7.0mm in diameter (Lion, Giraffe, Eland)
• Class C Game 3000 Joule Minimum caliber 7.0mm in diameter (Leopard, Crocodile, Kudu, Oryx / Gemsbok, Hartebeest, Wildebeest, Zebra, Nyala, Sable Antelope, Waterbuck, Tsessebe, etc.)
• Class D Game 850 Joule Minimum caliber 5.56mm in diameter (Warthog, Impala, Reedbuck, Sitatunga, Duiker, Steenbok, Jackal, Game Birds, etc.)
• Black Powder Rifles Minimum caliber .40

Well, that is interesting, if true and current. If a 7mm minimum applies, then a 7x57 would be a good place to start. I will check with my PH to see what he knows on this.

Also, I’m encouraged by the suggestions we let her try the Savage 99’s... I have a .308 Win and a .358 Win. When the current string of wjibs on the road slows down, we will head to the range and see what she thinks of those rifles. I have a beautifully light .308 load (130 gr TSX) for her to try for starters, and we can work up from there.

Thanks for all the comments, guys.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah Doc...ask your PH...those rules are very seldom enforced.....

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Doc,she could use a .270 Ingwe. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
That’s a good suggestion! I’m sure he would be honored by the nod to his love of the caliber!!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That’s a good suggestion! I’m sure he would be honored by the nod to his love of the caliber!!

It goes without saying that you'll smoke a turd in hell...

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Well, I’m smoking a Dominican dog rocket on my patio now, and it’s hot as Hades this afternoon, so...
grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
9.3x62

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

(Last photo looks like an 03 Springfield)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a beautifully light .308 load (130 gr TSX) for her to try for starters, and we can work up from there.

Does she really need to shoot anything more powerful than that in practice?

It isn't like she will need to be calling hold-over at 400 yards...and she isn't going to feel the recoil in the field when she shoots at game.

You'll know the hold-over from zero if needed. And she will shoot that bugger in the bush just like she did at the range, knowing it is friendly.

As someone mentioned earlier, fit and natural aiming is key. You could get her shooting bug-holes with a 130gr at 2,200fps and when she shoots the 165TTSX at 2,750 at that Zebra, she'll never know the difference.

Oh - and don't forget - I'm coming in for 12 days right behind you...so leave something for me!! haha

Tim

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well, I’m smoking a Dominican dog rocket on my patio now, and it’s hot as Hades this afternoon, so...
grin

Good practice!

And that .308 130 TSX combo would be good for what she wants to do!

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

It goes without saying that you'll smoke a turd in hell...

Don't worry DocRocket,there's plenty of turds here in Hell to smoke. wink

Maybe I should post some pics of the .270 Ingwe and we can watch Ingwe bust a vein.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Tarbe
I have a beautifully light .308 load (130 gr TSX) for her to try for starters, and we can work up from there.

Does she really need to shoot anything more powerful than that in practice?

It isn't like she will need to be calling hold-over at 400 yards...and she isn't going to feel the recoil in the field when she shoots at game.

As someone mentioned earlier, fit and natural aiming is key. You could get her shooting bug-holes with a 130gr at 2,200fps and when she shoots the 165TTSX at 2,750 at that Zebra, she'll never know the difference.

Well, that's a good point, and one worth exploring.

My wife isn't what I'd call a girly-girl, although she can dress up with the best of those... she is a tough cookie and I expect she'll be ok with game load recoil, provided she has time to work up to it. Getting a rifle that fits her well is the first step, and getting used to it using light practice loads is the key to the process. I expect she'll be able to work up to her game load alongside myself.

Peter Flack, who I've had the great pleasure of meeting and speaking with annually at DSC for the past 6 years, writes/tells of his annual pre-hunting season training: start with a .22, move up to a light rifle, then move up to a medium rifle, then move up to light loads in the heavy rifle, and finally heavy loads in the heavy rifle. If a hunter as experienced as Peter does this, I'm sure many of the rest of us would benefit by following this practice. I know I used it myself prior to my 2015 Zimbabwe hunt: I started out shooting a bolt .308, then transitioned to my .375 with light practice loads, then moved up to my full power hunting loads. Each practice session for a couple of weeks I'd work through that progression, then eventually I dropped the 308 and just shot the 375. Over 2-1/2 months or so I shot more than 700 rounds of .375 that way. As a result, I was/am more comfortable and familiar with my .375 H&H than any other rifle I own, with the possible exceptions of my Model 70 .308 and my old .22 rimfire I grew up shooting.

Originally Posted by Tarbe

Oh - and don't forget - I'm coming in for 12 days right behind you...so leave something for me!! haha

Tim

Tim, no worries there! I won't be shooting a lot of game on this trip. As I said, I want a better buff than I've got now, and an eland. Cate will get a zebra or two, and maybe a warthog and an impala. The rest are yours!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Both my youngest son and daughter seemed to enjoy their M70's 7x57 with 175gr. NP

The Big pills dig deep and are more than adequate for Zebra (Eland too) and recoil is minimal.

My daughter at 13 got a zruger #1 in 7 x 57. Kill a zebra and kudu dead in their tracks. I got Memsahib a custom Mauser 6.5 x 55 and that has taken wildebeest, kudu and a host of things and never caused a flinch.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 86thecat
9.3x62

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

(Last photo looks like an 03 Springfield)

My favorite calibre and wow! What a girl!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by FOsteology

My daughter at 13 got a zruger #1 in 7 x 57. Kill a zebra and kudu dead in their tracks. I got Memsahib a custom Mauser 6.5 x 55 and that has taken wildebeest, kudu and a host of things and never caused a flinch.

Ah. Now THERE is a suggestion that makes my bells ring! A Ruger No. 1 in 7x57 makes a LOT of sense!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ah. Now THERE is a suggestion that makes my bells ring! A Ruger No. 1 in 7x57 makes a LOT of sense!!

I was about to say, a #1 solves the left hand and right hand user problem. My #1A in 7x57 dropped my best whitetail last year. If she wants to try it, or one of the other chamberings, she'd be welcome. Heck, if she wants to borrow one for a Texas whitetail hunt, that would be fine.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 270 w/ 150 Partitions or 140 TSX's & never look back.

It'll b easier on her shoulder, & she'll shoot it better, & she won't likely flinch as much as an '06 with 180's. (The main reason the U.S. military went away from the '06 & 7.62 was complaints on recoil.)

But if'n yer bound 'n determined to go to an '06, use the 168 TSX instead of the 180's..............plenty more than enough.

And good luck on the eland, too.

MM

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Patrick, I just might take you up on that offer. I think a 7X57 aka 257 Rigby aka 270 Ingwe is ezACKLY what we need!

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
MM... no bound and determined about it, my good man!

I just got an email reply from my PH, who says Zim has a minimum 7mm caliber requirement for Zebra and smaller critters. But furthermore, the 270 is considered a 7mm since 6.8 mm “rounds up” in whole numbers to 7mm! Gotta love the arcane legal reasoning of these old British colonies, what?

Any roads, I’m thinking we’ll try a Ruger #1 in 270 or 7X57, or both, and see how the memsahib does with it/them.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by sactoller

This^^^^^^^^^Perfect! (BTW, never been to Africa, probably never go, but I read a lot about it on the innanet.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I just got an email reply from my PH, who says Zim has a minimum 7mm caliber requirement for Zebra and smaller critters. But furthermore, the 270 is considered a 7mm since 6.8 mm “rounds up” in whole numbers to 7mm! Gotta love the arcane legal reasoning of these old British colonies, what?

Any roads, I’m thinking we’ll try a Ruger #1 in 270 or 7X57, or both, and see how the memsahib does with it/them.

Have a .270 as well, though it is a #1B, with the 26" medium weight barrel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
aka 270 Ingwe

.270 Ingwe? You owe me a keyboard!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yes, the magical .270 Ingwe grin

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Actually, the 270 Ingwe is a 7x57 necked down to .277 diameter... I wanted to call it the 6.8mm Ingwe, but was overruled...

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The 140 gr TSX out of my 270 Win works at 250 yards on elk. My last PH, just a month or so ago in Namibia, was worrisome on simple plains game (kudu and mountain zebra being the largest) when I mentioned bringing my 270 Win Montana. He wanted bigger. I brought a 50's vintage FN Supreme 30-06 hand loaded with the 168 gr TSX and all was good. First time hunting with the 30-06.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
aka 270 Ingwe

Some pics of the .270 Ingwe.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

On the left is a .277" 130 grain Sierra flat base and on the right,is a .277" 160 grain Nosler Partition.
[Linked Image]

Will be ordering a .270 Ingwe reamer in the next two weeks or so.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How does it perform?? Ballistics??

T.S.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Don't know,it is in the early stages i.e. a reamer (will order the reamer next week) is going to be made then a rifle will be barreled.

I'm going to use the standard 1-10" twist and have it throated for the 160 grain Nosler Partition in the above picture,which is 3.163" COAL.

As far as how it will perform,well,it will kill anything I shoot at as long as I place the bullet in the vital organs. wink

Not trying to be a smart azz,but I'm just beginning to get the ball rolling.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Is that kind of like a 7x57?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yes EdM,it is just a 7mm Mauser case necked down to take a .277" bullet with no other changes to the case design.

Going to send a dummy round and sized as case to PTG today,to have the reamer made.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes EdM,it is just a 7mm Mauser case necked down to take a .277" bullet with no other changes to the case design.

Going to send a dummy round and sized as case to PTG today,to have the reamer made.

I already know the answer, but why don't you just shoot a 7x57? 7mm-08? or just load down your 270 Win? confused

Arcus Venator
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I own 3-7x57's and just want to be different.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know, I know,
I looked very seriously at building a 270-08 at one time....
Then came to my senses and bought a couple 7mm-08's.

Maybe I should turn in my looney card. cool

Arcus Venator
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I own 3-7x57's and just want to be different.

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Ingwe,maybe this will help....
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by CRS
I know, I know,
I looked very seriously at building a 270-08 at one time....
Then came to my senses and bought a couple 7mm-08's.

Maybe I should turn in my looney card. cool

What can I say,some have it,some don't. wink

Last edited by elkhunternm; 07/22/18.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My Beloved runs with a Merkel K3 Stutzen in 7x57r topped with a VX6 1-6. With 175gr bullets, she's good to go for anything up to Zebra...and maybe Eland with the right shot.

Admitedly, the recoil is a bit stout with 175's given the Merkel tips in at 6# 4 oz scoped. The positive is that she can carry it all day without an issue.

Good luck and remember, getting the wife exactly what she wants is a GREAT way to make sure you get what you want! smile

Hunt Africa while you can
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Actually, Doc, if you multiply the .277 bullet diameter by 25.4, it converts to 7.0358 mm, so the .270 actually is a true 7mm. Our "7mm" .284 diameter converts to 7.2136 mm. I found the conversion tables here: http://www.irrigationglobal.com/contents/en-us/d265_inch2mm_mm2inch.html

So, as good as the 6.5 Creedmoor is, it's really a 6.7056 mm and not legal under their rules that require a 7mm or larger. I would think a .270, .280 (!) 7mm-08 or anything that shoots a .270 or larger bullet could work well.

I really do like your idea of having her shoot the Savage 99s. If she likes the .308 and handles it well, she may be able to step up to the .358.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
B.B., that’s some interesting arithmetic you got there, and it’s true!

Whatever, it looks like we are going to try the Savage 99 route first, then try the 7X57in a Ruger #1.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Do BOTH! Far be it from me to dissuade anyone from a new rifle! If you get her a #1, it may even have one of those ol' swirly-lookin W-word (walnut) stocks on it!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Whatever SHE likes and shoots well---

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My thoughts are than an ‘06 might be a bit much for a new shooter and I would also back down from the 180 TTSX if it is the ‘06 you go with.

My uncomplicated recommend is a 270 with a “130” for here and a TTSX or 150-gr Nosler for there; i. e., Fed premiums so loaded.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ingwe,maybe this will help....
[Linked Image]

Do they make one of those that says " Gay Rifle Slut".....?

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by bearbacker
Do BOTH! Far be it from me to dissuade anyone from a new rifle! If you get her a #1, it may even have one of those ol' swirly-lookin W-word (walnut) stocks on it!

It will definitely have one of them swirly-wood stocks.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
aka 270 Ingwe

Some pics of the .270 Ingwe.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

On the left is a .277" 130 grain Sierra flat base and on the right,is a .277" 160 grain Nosler Partition.
[Linked Image]

Will be ordering a .270 Ingwe reamer in the next two weeks or so.

You may need to look into a Rainbow camo pattern...

I've never seen one, never have seen a unicorn, either.

Doesn't mean they don't exist...

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 86thecat
9.3x62

[Linked Image]

Well, I don't know much about using a .270 Winchester in Africa, but I can vouch for one thing here. That is an authentic photo of Osa Johnson holding her Oberndorf Mauser sporter chambered in 9.3x62. How do I know this? Because I own and scanned that photo and I uploaded it to the website that its link points to! grin Oh, and I just happen to own that rifle. cool grin

Just for grins, here's the backside of that photo:

[Linked Image]

That is NOT Osa's signature, by the way.

Oh, and here's one more for you:

[Linked Image]

Anyway, sorry to take the thread off topic. I just wanted to have a little fun... grin grin grin

Cheers!
Bob F.

Last edited by BFaucett; 08/10/18.

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And that reminds me of the best EVER Africa thread here!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Thanks jorge! I haven't been around here much the last few years but I'm becoming a little more active again. I retired last month so I've got some spare time on my hands now. grin

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming....

Cheers!
Bob F. smile

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

+1

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My first trip to Africa was in 2002 and my FN Mauser 9.3x62 was the rifle I brought. The original 250 gr X worked like a champ from porcupines to eland. It has not been hunted since so will likely head back 2019/2020 if the stars align.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D

... and that would be....?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
.270 with good bullets would be just fine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

My thoughts are than an ‘06 might be a bit much for a new shooter and I would also back down from the 180 TTSX if it is the ‘06 you go with.

My uncomplicated recommend is a 270 with a “130” for here and a TTSX or 150-gr Nosler for there; i. e., Fed premiums so loaded.

I introduced my stepson to shooting when he was ten. He had never known anyone that owned a firearm until he got saddled with me. I got him set up at a bench with a 22 rimfire and he just sat there with rifle aimed but no shot. I finally walked up to him and saw tears streaking down his cheeks. All of the anti-gun media had him convinced bad things were going to happen.

I persuaded him to give it a try. After that first shot he couldn't get enough. He went through three boxes of ammo in no time. Next trip to the range, I brought along a '03 Springfield sporter in 30-06 that I had cut down to a short, handy carbine. He went through all of my ammo pronto and got darn good at cycling that bolt. LOL

When deer season rolled around, I took him to South Texas to hunt Whitetail. For some reason, he wasn't shooting well with the 30-06 when we checked rifles at camp so I handed him one of my Steyrs in 376 Steyr. He started punching bullseyes with it so that's what he used. He took a doe and a very heavy horned nine pointer that trip.

Moral of the story - Never underestimate a person's recoil tolerance. Let the individual establish it through experimentation. Just provide the means and support and avoid transferring any doubt/anxiety you may have to the new shooter.

T.S.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

268 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 36 invisible), 2,583 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,039
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.